Dirty calf need help

Help Support Steer Planet:

brs5

I just bought a steer that has never been washed so it has all manure in balls on its legs and belly. What is the best way to save his hair while washing? Do i go crazy with a curry comb or use scissors and let the hair fill back in? All suggestions are useful...

OH Breeder

To save the hair you will need to soak with water and shampoo. If you continually rinse it softens the manure. use shampoo it also will help break it down. i wouldn't break out scissors yet.

johnmetzger

EZ-ALL works best for us when getting sale calves ready. I've seen really bad ones come clean without hair loss.

herfluvr

I have seen people that don't wash a calf to beef congress use Crisco.  They put it on and let it soak in and it disolves the balls and the hair once washed looks great. 

wfq

We have used mineral oil over the years with pretty good success.  I think the previous post about Crisco would be about the same deal.  If you can spray it on the night before you try to wash them it can really help!

vc

WD-40, let it soak in, then shampoo. You may have to repeat several times to get it all out.Buy the one gallon can of the WD-40 and use a spray bottle to soak the cr@p balls.

chiangus

You have to soften it before you remove it.  All great ideas above I can vouch for the wd40.  Just give it plenty of time to soak.  It is also good for removing deal bugs on the front of your car.

all.thumbs

EZ-All works wonders.  Spray it on with the foamer, let it set for a little while & a curry comb will take it out.  You can also use a squirt bottle.  We use it routinely with great results.

farmin female

Sounds like you got some good ideas here.  I use a pet grooming comb on the "cling ons" once I have softened them up.  I have one that has a skip tooth type side and then the other side has teeth that are close together.  You can flip it back and forth to work on the hair.  The oil and ez-all ideas all sound helpful, but it takes a lot of time to work the nasty out. 

ba

Put corp oil in a jug in a bucket with aheater and warm it up{ not hot }. Blow on with fogger or garden sprayer

Freerider

Biodiesel is amazing at removing anything from anything. Its also the best adhesive remove known to man, puts expensive products to shame, and is good for the hair and skin.