disappointing calf crop

Help Support Steer Planet:

red

I know from many of the pictures posted that some had a really good calf crop this year. I guess I'm overall rather disappointed in ours. I think I have only 2 heifers that I'm going to keep for resale. I have one bull that if he tests clean will also be sold. the rest go to the feedlot. We had a lot of structural problems & just not real growthy this year. I only used 1 clubbie bull so that wasn't the problem.

Anyone else have similar problems or was it just poor breeding choices on my part?

Red

clubcalve

We only had one problem and that was a alias calve with foot problems and he was the only bad one out of 54 calves and I used Alias (thumbsup),Jonny Walker Red (thumbsup), and 4 Different angus Sires (clapping).So I am thrilled with our calf crop. Thats to bad about yours :-\.   

cattlejunky

Sorry to hear that red.  I know every calving season is so exciting for me.  Last year ours were not exactly what we wanted for the showring.  They were great fat cattle though.  This year is different.  We have 10 heifers and 2 bull calves.  6 heifers and 2 bulls are pretty nice.  What we find really odd is the calves that our bull sired this year out of the same cows are much better than last years calves.  

Show Dad

Cheer up Red. With cattle there is always next year. And I know that's not what you want to hear but every once the cookie crumbles the wrong way.

Speaking of cookies, (not to hijack the thread :eek:) but that makes me think of your cookies. Will have to see if I can get my wife to whip up a batch. Maybe in the shape of a UFO! <alien>

BCCC

I guess I am the same way as red, we didnt have a very good calf crop kept a dr.who bull, and  a couple heifers, but other then that everything I have sold this year were from other breeders

shortdawg

I'm more excited about this year's calf crop more than any prior year. I'll start calving in a few days............. JPJ, Alias, Vanilla Ice, Primo, Denver ( Trump x Dazzle Fool ), and my new JPJ son - Blanco. ;D

knabe

my two steers were disappointments.  now that i have 5 females, and hopefully replacements generated next year, along with a direction somewhat in focus, things will improve.

kane1598

I am sorry to hear your disappointment. Really this is all a gamble, and sometimes your lucky and hit the genetic lottery. I think it is good to evaluate your breeding decisions, and then have an outside individual come in and take a look.  Another knowledgeable, unbiased pair of eyes can do alot and help you look at each individual cow and help match up bulls. 

red

I guess in a way it worked out for the best. With all the health problems I probably won't be able to start working w/ calves until first of year. The number I have to work w/ is actually the right number I can handle. I think also I need to remember that we only have 7 cows that calved. Maybe that % isn't too bad.

Red