Disease o' the month - JOHNE"S DISEASE

Help Support Steer Planet:

DL

Well, as you might imagine this will be a little different than what you may be used to  ;D I am going to show you a picture - you may hazard a guess at what disease the animal has - then another picture, then another.....guess with abandon, but you have to include a reason why you think this animal has the disease you guess.(doesn't necessarily have to be a good reason, just a considered guess)...each picture might give you more clues...here we go....

Attachments

• Disease'o the week.jpg
    Disease'o the week.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 497

DL

OK here is another one - same disease

Attachments

• disease o' the week 2.jpg
    disease o' the week 2.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 687

Cowboy

OK folks -- everyone needs agood laugh, meybe to day is my day to be laughed at. My guess is as follows --

Hardware Disease (Actually not a disease -- an afliction rather)

Reasons -- The steer picture is a nice steer -- although I noticed two things that stood out ot me right off if you look closely!

1 - A slight elevation of the loin --a hump if you weill even with his head help up.
2 - Obvious fluid accumulation inthe navel area. Dead give away -- would mean about half way to the end for him if it is indeed for that reason.

The Cow picture -- DL you are decidedly seductive here -- buteveryone look very close at the right jugular vien -- CLEARLY very much distended -- this is due to the pressure of the blood trying to get thru the heart -- and not being able to with any ease. Conjunctive heart disease or Pulmonary failure would be my guess as to both of these animals!

If they do not have this -- thne they are sure showing all the signs I personally look for!

OK -- every one canlaugh now!

Terry
::)

DL

Gotta give Cowboy karma points- he looks he thinks he considers....but this time, there is a different answer...does this help? All three of these animals have the same disease.....it is the SP disease o' the month....

PS Cowboy - some of your observations are right on - but for a different reason....

Attachments

• Disease o' 3.jpg
    Disease o' 3.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 472

red

mismanagement is only thing I'm coming up with but not sure why.

Red

DL

Well again, you are close and certainly management is a huge issue with this diesase...here is another one...after this we are getting pretty obvious - I am surprised that farmboy hasn't jumped in ......

Attachments

• disease o' the week 4.jpg
    disease o' the week 4.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 439

Cowboy

Please oh Please don't tell me they are just simlply --

D R U N K ??  ::) ::) (clapping)

Possible dehydration -- I have seen some of the signs of that show -- actually - extra fluids in some places!!

Renal failure??

Too few brain cells tonight -- need to keep the few I have left so I give up!!

hehehehe -- Terry

afhm

Cowboy, in your close inspection of the 2 pics you missed the most obvious thing about the red calf in Denver.  That one is actually a SHE not a he.  The only thing I can come up with is more of a virus than a disease and that is ring worm on the red one 4 sure.

JbarL

hhummmmmmm....full moon......dl's...lunar thoughts have sure hit my short suit of medical and appearance....and.basics on appearance for most of the business...my .granddad, and dad were the lookers.....i just kinda remember parts of it.....if ya know what i mean S*S*S*S*S*S
but my pure guess only and just stab at it is just so i can go to sleep with at least at  it.........and dont ask me why.... for especially with
pair in #3,,,, the unlear andfar away details of the pair and not knowing if it is one or both that is " afflicked" ........and again the fact that is a full moon and it is  dl....my guess is they suffer from  mt. rushmore retnitus.....they are blind..... and thats all the lunar  thoughts i could possibly muster/......night  jbarl

Telos

Being a former PETA activist specializing in bovines, I think these photos show the symptoms of abuse brought on by their human guardians.

The red heifer, proudly being shown at the NWSS, was forced as a young adolescent, into becoming a heavy beer drinker. The foaming at the mouth and the beer gut is a dead give away.

The poor little Jersey heifer being ridden by someone almost as big as her is abusive. What are these people thinking! ( I guess if you can ride a horse then a tiny little heifer is also rideable.)

The cow and calf in the muddy holding pen is just plain negligence. Studies have shown foot- rot survivors can acquire extreme emotional disorders and antisocial behavior into adulthood.

Many of us forget the  "bucking bulls". Yes, this is a result of abuse too. They live their life being pimped out for good money by their guardians without any percentage of the profits and no retirement plan.

DL, if for some strange reason my diagnosis is incorrect, I will be more then glad to offer you free transportation to the upcoming PETA convention.

DL

You guys are great! Not quite right, but great, these may help a little more.....
farmboy not a bad guess, in fact the disease is a bacterial disease of the same family as bovine TB

Attachments

• disease o' 6.jpg
    disease o' 6.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 440
  • disease o'7.jpg
    disease o'7.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 446
  • disease o'8.jpg
    disease o'8.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 512

Jill

I agree, the last picture is one that is on the web site I had looked up a while back.

DL

JIT - Johne's disease, and I put the first heifer picture there to give you the many faces of JD. If you wait until your cow looks like the last cow you have waited too long and chances are you are looking at the tip of the ice berg.

Shorthorn heifer - developed clinical disease as a 2 year old
Jersey oxen (actually working oxen who could also be ridden) - developed clinical disease as a 7 year old
Angus heifer - developed clinical disease after first calf
Bucking bull - developed clinical disease on tour - "treated" with a variety of compounds - died age 7
3 dairy cows showing end stage JD...

more later, off for chores before it hits 100 (ugh)

justintime

DL, are there any visible signs that can be seen in the Shorthorn heifer, the Jersey and the bucking bull? The last pictures are fairly obvious,especially that old Jersey cow. She is probably the best known "poster model" for Johnes.

red

I guess, I was hoping for a good education of the disease. We here a lot about it but i't still swept under the rug or the dirty little secret.
Oh animal health guru, please enlighten us!

Red (lol)

DL

justintime said:
DL, are there any visible signs that can be seen in the Shorthorn heifer, the Jersey and the bucking bull? The last pictures are fairly obvious,especially that old Jersey cow. She is probably the best known "poster model" for Johnes.

JIT - that is one of the sneaky and evil things about JD - they can look perfectly normal - and they can look perfectly normal for years, so no there is nothing specific about the Shorthorn heifer, the jersey oxen or the bucking bull (although the bull was known to lose about 200 lbs so if you knew that and yet he looked and acted "normal" and had a great appetite you might be suspicious, more later), dl

and Red you are absolutely right it is a dirtly little secret swept under the rug - so here is installment one (I tried to post them as text but it looked really bad so here are pdfs....it looks OK in word so if you want it in word let me know).......

ps there are a series of these that I wrote - they are specific for beef and specific for Michigan (or generically the midwest) however, the princlples are the same where ever you are - the weather can change the viability of the bug in the environment etc but there should be something for everyone in them...

Jill you are right, you have seen the Guernsey cow before - she is from Mike Collins U of Wisconsin JD web site - I consider him a JD guru and he was a great help on these handouts.

Attachments

• JD 1 11-05.pdf
    252.4 KB · Views: 304