Dispersal Sales

Help Support Steer Planet:

Show Heifer

I have been studying physcology  theoretical models for the last 4 hours....and decided to take a break. After enjoying my Pepsi and some Doritos, and looking through a few magazines these questions occured to me:

How do YOU describe a "dispersal sale"?
How do you describe a "mature cow herd dispersal"?  What is your description of "mature cow"?
How do you describe a "complete and total dispersal?"
How many "dispersal sales" should one person be allowed to have in a lifetime?
How often can one have a "complete cow herd dispersal"?
How many "complete dispersal" sales can a person have in a lifetime"?

How fair is it that a "dispersal sale"  implies by association rules the seller does NOT have to guarantee the animals that are sold?
What do you expect from a breeder that has a dispersal sale? 
What do you think of those "annual dispersal sales"??

yuppiecowboy

In my world, a dispersal is when they sell the semen tank too. I could sell every cow I have and in one year have more calves of my genetics born than before as I have a big bank of eggs. Dieters? dispersal. Bakenhus? Dispersal. Drifting sands land and cattle mature cow "dispersal"? Hokey.

Bawndoh

One word comes to mind when I see the word "Dispersal"...everything!  In otherwords, yes, event the tank and eggs and show equipment go.  Although a lot of people decide it is a good choice to "disperse" every few years.  They "disperse"  mature cows, or young cows, or whatever.  I think it is misleading to have a catalague that sayd "Complete and Total Dispersal..of the Mature Angus Herd".  I think they use it to create more attention, publicity, and advertising. 

knabe

here's my take on dispersal

Biological dispersal refers to those processes by which a species maintains or expands the distribution of a population. 

to me, it LITERALLY has nothing to do with reduction and means the exact OPPOSITE of it's apparent use.

KCK

I often wonder the same thing b/c of the three large Angus "dispersals" I worked a few years back, KMK, Springfield and Sharrods, are all back in the business. I know one of them was for a partnership reason and that is great with me. But, at one we even sold the t-posts and hot wire from the display pens! The whole kit and kaboodle went in two days!

It was always a goal of mine to have a "dispersal" once I got done showing in junior shows. That would have been more of a beef up my college fund thing. Well, I graduated college but not after selling all my girls!

SWMO

To me a dispersal is when you are selling out and do not intend to be involved in that breed of cattle again.  It floors me that so many breeders are dispersing every few years.  What they should be saying is that they are selling all the old and non producing females and retaining all the young good genetics!!!