Display Bulls '08

Help Support Steer Planet:

kane1598

I was wondering if anyone had any inside scoop on new bulls coming out this year.  I am excited, and got even more so when I saw that sinclair's already has a picture of their new bull on their website. What does everyone know or hope for this year?

showsteerdlux

Isn't that bull on Sinclair's the clone of the Gentry steer that was the Pale Face/ Who that Sinclair sold in last years sale? One of the conditions on that calf was that they would keep possession of the genetic rights. Is it the clone or just 3/4 sib?

kane1598

I was wondering that also, but if it was a clone, would it not have to have a white face like the original steer had? My guess is it is just a sibling of some form.

red

I haven't heard much i just hope they have offspring of the new bulls from last year. That will be the biggest test for me!

Red

showsteerdlux

You could be right that it is just a sib but it seems that if they were going to bother to keep the DNA rights that they wouldn't go out and by a bull that was 3/4 sib to what they had cloned? It wouldn't be the first clone to come out looking a little different but who knows.

kane1598

I really hope for something that is TH free and not sired by Heatwave, although I am a Heatwave fan.  I would like to see a really good smokey or maybe a manchild son that is TH free.

RSC

kane1598 said:
I really hope for something that is TH free and not sired by Heatwave, although I am a Heatwave fan.  I would like to see a really good smokey or maybe a manchild son that is TH free.
heard This Weekend that Trausch Farms will have 2 bulls in Denver: Black Bull Naughty Pine X Gallloway- Clean I believe and a Smoke Bull:  Friction X Silver Bullets full sister.

showsteerdlux

Good point about the time factor on the Sinclair bull. Guess they might have that one for next year if they can get one on the ground live.

mccannfarms

kane1598 said:
I was wondering that also, but if it was a clone, would it not have to have a white face like the original steer had? My guess is it is just a sibling of some form.

a clone would not nessicerraly be identical in apperance even though the have the same genetic makeup some aspects such as coat color and markings have to do with other variable factors 

JbarL

mccannfarms said:
kane1598 said:

a clone would not nessicerraly be identical in apperance even though the have the same genetic makeup some aspects such as coat color and markings have to do with other variable factors 
so you clone an animal and you acatually have no idea what its going to look like???... :-\..not sure if i completely understand that??? what exactually would be"identical" in a cloned animal?....jbarl

red

didn't a cloned barrel racing horse tun out to look totally different than it's original? I think it had a lot of while on it.

Red

pigguy

JbarL said:
mccannfarms said:
kane1598 said:

so you clone an animal and you acatually have no idea what its going to look like???... :-\..not sure if i completely understand that??? what exactually would be"identical" in a cloned animal?....jbarl
The color wont always be the same on say a maine crossed with a hereford, the original might be a black baldy whereas the clone might be a baldy with white legs

showsteerdlux

Also don't forget about the bull that Lautner bought from the Thompsons for $83,000 that goin to be featured in Denver.

kane1598

I think the friction x silver bullet sounds very interesting.  I hope there are more videos like last year and I hope they show some movement of the bulls from different angles.

knabe

with clones, ALWAYS remember there were two clones of smart little lena who had parrot mouth, and the rest didn't.  all the "same" genetics.  I'm thinking clones are only out there as there aren't enough breeding true individuals out there as there is too much hybrid vigor.  things are turned around a little bit.

Richburg

do they have to collect the DNA after they slaughter the steer? or i there another method of getting the DNA?

that gentry steer was good but at 1250 he was short little pud. he couldnt walk very well at the IN state fair.....they pumped so many packets of stride from Sullivan's just to et him to walk decent....im not sure a clone of him would last to long in stud or in a pasture......plus he got buried to 4th in his class

OH Breeder

I hope there are so new genetics for clubs and shorties.

I know heat wave is winning but there has to be another sleeper somewhere.