Display bulls question

Help Support Steer Planet:

OH Breeder

You know I am surprised at some of the ads and display bulls have not been sued yet for infringement. Some of the stars and singers have rights to the names etc. You would think they would ask for royality to use the names etc likeness. It may not be on their radar.

Don't get the wrong idea. Not saying they should or its right, it just seems like someone would have thought of that by now.

justme

I'm really surprised.  Being in the embroidery business we are educated at almost every show about copyright infringement.  It's brutal in my industry.  They can take your computer, machines, everything then you fight with a lawyer.

justme

More like a nightmare!  John Deere and Harley Davidson always comes to these seminars (disney too) and scares the bejeebers out of people.  I just try to avoid anything that looks or is similar to a logo that is copyrighted.  I had more requests for John Steere shirts than I can count...I said no way.  My theory is John Deere has more $ than I do to fight it in court.  One thing people think is that if you change a logo 10% its ok.  WRONG...if its remotely similar they can nail you.  LIke the Nikey swoosh and just do it.  Alot of embroiders and screen printers got nailed for it.  Even if you put a swoosh and a calf and say Showing...Just do it!

GLZ

The Quarter Horse industry had some trouble with this around a stallion named Robert Redford.  He threw a fit and wound up suing over the name.  I did enjoy it when about 3 years later a stallion showed up with the name Rude Redford.

TxAdmin

Administrator
Staff member
StillLearning said:
The Quarter Horse industry had some trouble with this around a stallion named Robert Redford.  He threw a fit and wound up suing over the name.  I did enjoy it when about 3 years later a stallion showed up with the name Rude Redford.

;D

farmboy

a bull named tiger woods? rocky balboa? tyson, ali? i see what your saying OHB. theres more bulls out there then you can shake a stick at with names like that.

Show Heifer

It is on some of their radar......

Sometimes the owner of the bull has gotten permission or an agreement with a company and it just isn't public knowledge.
But, sometimes they don't and it isn't going to be pretty when they get called on it!!!

RSC

zach said:
a bull named tiger woods? rocky balboa? tyson, ali? i see what your saying OHB. theres more bulls out there then you can shake a stick at with names like that.
I thought about this subject the minute I read of a Bull Called Tiger Woods.  I wouldn't want to challange his money.

Tony

ShowmanQ

zach said:
what about all of the bulls named after songs?

You can bet your butt that if Metallica would sue Victoria's Secret, they would not think twice about suing a cattleman.

farmboy

metallica sued VS? never heard that one. ACDC would be in business though

who made who
heatseeker
hells bells

the list goes on..... a long ways

ShowmanQ

zach said:
metallica sued VS? never heard that one.

Yeah, it's been a while though. Supposedly VS used the name "Metallica" on some lip pencils, or something like that, without permission.

aj

I had a thong that said metallica on it.......I'm just kidding........it didn't have metallica on it.......I'm just kidding.I heard the Shorthorn assn dad a deal where you could kind of trademark your prefix on pedigrees....kind of the same thing. ;D

jbw

there is just to much sueing over petty little things that don't hurt anyone or anything! imo