Displaying a bull in Denver: Where to find Colored Shavings?

Help Support Steer Planet:

RSC

Does anyone know where to find colored shavings for a Bull display booth for Denver. Reasonable price would be great. Would like to find somewhere in Denver or on the way from Kansas/Nebraska? Does Sullivans have them?

Thanks,

RSC

red

check w/ Jill. I thought she had a source.

what are you taking Tony?
Kids going too?

Red

RSC

red said:
check w/ Jill. I thought she had a source.

what are you taking Tony?
Kids going too?

Red
Cathy we are leaving the boys at home.  Momma don't have much fun when you take 3 boys under 8 to a cattle event.

I am not actually taking anything myself.  We sold a bull on our club calf sale that the new owners are promoting.  He is called Dr. Business.  The Doc is a 3/4 Blood Maine PHA & TH clean.  He is a Dr. Who son out of Jessica the Strictly Business X Whitney that is pictured to the left.  Since you asked I will throw a few pictures on here.

The first picture was taken at 6 months age for our sale.  The second was taken by a camera phone this last Saturday in the stall after they roughed him out.  The new owners are Fesmire, Pearson and Crumbaker from Kansas & Oklahoma.  To those going to Denver, please let me know what you thought.

Thanks,

RSC

Attachments

• Housecall John 2a final 1a1.jpg
    Housecall John 2a final 1a1.jpg
    228.2 KB · Views: 793
  • Doc 1a.jpg
    Doc 1a.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 1,028

RSC

TottenClubCalves said:
I thought that they sold shaving there and they where at a decent price?
We have bought regular shavings before.  I wasn't sure if they had colored shavings for sale in the Yards?

Thanks,

RSC

charlie4s

RSC ,  i have done the colored shaving thing myself.  Just thake your shavings at the house and spread them out on an old tarp and rig up your blower fogger with the desired colored and spray away. let them dry and bag them back up. worked great for me when i was in charge of the photo display for our county air a ew years ago.

Charlie

itk

I think the bulls new owners are colorful enough I wouldn't worry about shavings.

Show Heifer

Hawkeye wood shavings in Des Moines sells colors.

Also, might try the elevator north of town in Denver...they get a bunch of stuff shipped in for Denver special orders for people. Let me know if you need their name!

Jill

The state fair orders the colored chips from Smithton Industries, Smithton, MO. 660-343-5396. I think they only make the green chips once or twice a year, so call them early, if they don't have them they may be able to direct you.

Jill

You might also try SEK Genetics, they display a lot of bulls out there and may be able to point you in the right direction. 
Is Dennis going to be in Denver with the bull, nice purchase? 
Tell your wife we need to hire a nanny for Denver and split the cost. (clapping)

RSC

Jill said:
You might also try SEK Genetics, they display a lot of bulls out there and may be able to point you in the right direction. 
Is Dennis going to be in Denver with the bull, nice purchase? 
Tell your wife we need to hire a nanny for Denver and split the cost. (clapping)
Ya a Nanny would be fine but the Boys need a break from us too! :)

Dennis will be in Denver.

Thanks for all the help.  I will have Dennis try the outfit in Mo.

RSC

dori36

RSC said:
Does anyone know where to find colored shavings for a Bull display booth for Denver. Reasonable price would be great. Would like to find somewhere in Denver or on the way from Kansas/Nebraska? Does Sullivans have them?

Thanks,

RSC

I've shown (or had my cattle shown) at  Denver quite a few times and I seemed to remember that exhibitors are NOT allowed to bring in their own bedding.  So, I went to the NWSS website and copied this fyi:  "Hay and feed may be brought in by participants.  First bedding will not be provided for any animals.  Straw, wood chips or wood shavings may be used for bedding.  Sand will not be permitted. Straw, shavings and bedding must be purchased through the National Western Feed Concessionaire and can be ordered in advance by contacting:  National Western Feed Concessionaire (303) 297-1166. Participants are allowed to store no more than two (2) days supply of feed or hay in designated areas of the barn(s) at any time.  No bulk deliveries of feed or bedding...

I've never seen any colored shavings there, but, then, I've also never wanted any so never asked. You can check out the rules  yourself at
www.nationalwestern.com/nwss/home/index.asp

TottenClubCalves

I thought thats what it was I just didn't know if they already had it there, well anyways very nice bull, what was his BW He looks like something that would def. be worth trying.

RSC

Jill said:
I know someone had purple shavings last year, I think it was Lautner.
Hopefully Dennis can get the green chips in from Mo. in time.  Green will fit good with the banner.  The banner will have a doctor with the green scrubs.  Are they a light green or dark green?

Thanks to Jill and everyone,

RSC

cowz

charlie4s said:
RSC ,   i have done the colored shaving thing myself.  Just thake your shavings at the house and spread them out on an old tarp and rig up your blower fogger with the desired colored and spray away. let them dry and bag them back up. worked great for me when i was in charge of the photo display for our county air a ew years ago.

Charlie

What kind of dye?  Rit?