Disrespectful teacher

Help Support Steer Planet:

wannabe

Last night my daughter came home from school very upset. She had to notify her teachers yesterday she would be gone two days this week for state FFA convention.  Her science teacher instantly became angry and started yelling at her about being gone. He assumed she was going to a cattle show as we sometimes leave on fridays to go to a show. He proceeded to tell her that showing cattle was stupid and you do not learn anything from it. He said education was more important and showing cattle was a waste of time and will not get you anywhere in life. She then was able to tell him it was for state FFA and I do not think that even registered with him.  You can just about feel how pissed off I am right now. Give me your thoughts before I go have a talk with this uneducated teacher.

RidinHeifer

first off, the teacher doesn't know what showmen really do learn...it's a whole lot more important in life than science.  I have this problem with my scholastic bowl coach and FFA events overlapping. At the beginning of the season I ALWAYS tell him that FFA comes first to me and I tell him as soon as I find out about events, etc. This year he swore I didn't tell him and he made a guilt fest out of it because he is also one of my teachers. I didn't care at all and he made himself look stupid giving me crap about it.
CALL THE PRINCIPAL BEFORE YOU CALL THE TEACHER-your principal will be more pissed about it and call superintendant.

Steer4Caddy

The exact think happened to me when I was in High School with my Science teacher except I was going to a stock show.  Ten years later when I came home to speak at the high school for a function she made a point to apologize to me after all those years.  She now had a child that was invlolved in showing and FFA and realized it's importance.

knabe

one has to remember, the government knows what's best for our children, from eating, morals, subject matter, reproduction.

it's best not to offend anyone associated with a union who takes your tax dollars and uses them to lobby against your perspective.

it could get you arrested.

american honey

That is so...UGH!!! My high school barely respects us at all, that makes me so upset. Tell your daughter to keep her chin up, because one day they will figure out how important FFA, and agriculture is!!

texas111

You hit the nail on the head when you said he was uneducated.  I am an Ag teacher and i understand how other teachers can be.  They do not have a problem reaping the benefits of our labor.  You should tell the teacher that this teaches the students leadership qualities, responsibility, genetics, and gives them an understanding of economics.  This teacher seems to be a huge a$$.  If i were you i would go directly to the school board and make a complaint at the next meeting.  Ask the teacher where we would be without agriculture.  Ask him how many things he can produce and eat in his science lab.  ask him if he can produce textiles to cloth our nation and others.  Ask him if he can come up with a concoction that instantly makes bedding furniture.  The simple fact of the matter is he cant.  He is a simple minded idiot that needs to learn his place in life.  He is a science teacher because he couldn't do anything else.  Hope it all works out for ya.  Good luck and give um hell!!!

frostback

I would defiantly have a face to face talk with this one.  Its a real world educational experience, if going on a road trip to say the capital is good then why not this kind of road trip. I try to show a united front with my kids teachers but sometimes its tough when I hear some of the things they tell my kids. Remember also there are two sides of the story, so get his version before you go off then you can do it if his explanation does not empress you.

willow

If those were the actual words out of his mouth he deserves a tongue lashing, but remember you are not only representing you and your family, you are representing agriculture.  Don't stoop to his level by launching a personal attack as it sounds like he did to your child, but be composed and respectful.  Make us proud!    <cowboy>

american honey

willow said:
If those were the actual words out of his mouth he deserves a tongue lashing, but remember you are not only representing you and your family, you are representing agriculture.  Don't stoop to his level by launching a personal attack as it sounds like he did to your child, but be composed and respectful.  Make us proud!    <cowboy>

I agree! It is really hard not to do  that but some where you find that strength to fight for what you believe and still come out on top.

LLBUX

I'm a former AG teacher myself and still teach Industrial Arts.
Take your daughter and speak to the building principal.
Seek a meeting and have your building principal present. 
If anyone was present when the teacher berated your child, have them write it down and sign it.
No reason for a teacher to tell a kid they are stupid.
The local AG teacher bears some responsibility for properly notifying the teachers too.
(That is one of my pet peeves)
Good luck!

cowman

american honey said:
That is so...UGH!!! My high school barely respects us at all, that makes me so upset. Tell your daughter to keep her chin up, because one day they will figure out how important FFA, and agriculture is!!

Sadly, no. No they won't.

american honey

cowman said:
american honey said:

Sadly, no. No they won't.
How do you know they won't? With a attitude like that they never will. Agriculture runs just about everything in this world, and the more people realize it the more respect and awareness there will be. We haft to see that light at the end of the tunnel and keep working at what we want. Personally that's what I want, people to respect agriculture and all the organizations that go along with it. So why cut ourselves short and say it wont get better? Because i know that i have the hope and determination that it will.

ALTSIMMY 79

I'd kinda want to be looking this guy in the eyes , in the wrestling room over that little deal ! Things have changed too much in schools these days , in my fathers generation it was all about agriculture , in mine it was still important but not as much , now in my childrens day and age they really act like they don't care ! Its pretty sad !

american honey

ALTSIMMY 79 said:
I'd kinda want to be looking this guy in the eyes , in the wrestling room over that little deal ! Things have changed too much in schools these days , in my fathers generation it was all about agriculture , in mine it was still important but not as much , now in my childrens day and age they really act like they don't care ! Its pretty sad !

I agree, it is sad. It makes me wander when I am in class and the kids are like hey there a duck and its a chicken. Or during the fair, they see my sheep and they are like hey a goat!! Thats why I want to inform not only kids but adults too, never to late to learn!

CPL

While I'm not exactly familiar with where you are located, where I'm from FFA and Agriculture Education is part of the state curriculum. This means that FFA events and functions are excusable educational absences.

If you are still having trouble with this, I would recommend you contact someone at your State FFA Office and have them relay a message to your school corporation.

Also, take this time to educate your daughter's science teacher about FFA and Agriculture in general. Let them know that the National FFA Organization annual awards over $2 million to deserving high school seniors through 1,000 different scholarship applications.

Let them know that there are numerous career fields in Agriculture, many which do not involved production-agriculture. And that the average salary for these positions is drastically higher than that of a High School Teacher... (OK maybe not that!!  ;D )

And don't be afraid to mention the premier leadership and personal growth that every past and present FFA member can testify to. Let them know about Career Development Events, Supervised Agricultural Experiences, and other programs/incentives like Proficiencies, National Essay Contests, the Washington Leadership Convention.

But most of all relate these to your daughter's life and show him how the FFA program will provide her with the experiences, skills, and other knowledge in order to be the best that she can be.

Try your best to educate and inform him respectfully. With decreased funding, many FFA Programs around the country are facing struggles and challenges. We need to educate others and let them know how crucial the FFA program is to today's young people.

ALTSIMMY 79

Just had to add this in here quick , my five year old can tell the difference between a shorthorn and a hereford from a half mile away ! And we raise neither lol ! To some people that may mean nothing but to me it shows an intrest in something meaningful !

linnettejane

texas111 said:
You hit the nail on the head when you said he was uneducated.  I am an Ag teacher and i understand how other teachers can be.  They do not have a problem reaping the benefits of our labor.  You should tell the teacher that this teaches the students leadership qualities, responsibility, genetics, and gives them an understanding of economics.  This teacher seems to be a huge a$$.  If i were you i would go directly to the school board and make a complaint at the next meeting.  Ask the teacher where we would be without agriculture.  Ask him how many things he can produce and eat in his science lab.  ask him if he can produce textiles to cloth our nation and others.  Ask him if he can come up with a concoction that instantly makes bedding furniture.  The simple fact of the matter is he cant.  He is a simple minded idiot that needs to learn his place in life.  He is a science teacher because he couldn't do anything else.  Hope it all works out for ya.  Good luck and give um hell!!!

my opinion on the above quote has been deleted

...its always best to start at the school and work your way up...meet with the principal first, then the principal and the teacher, 99.9% of the time, that will take care of the problem...if it doesnt, then go to the superintendent
explain to them all the benefits that your child gets from participating in this program and showing cattle...honestly, they problably just dont understand the hours, devotion, real world application, and responsibility that goes with it...as i mentioned before, im a teacher, and not in the ag dept....so you can imagine how my principal looked at me when i told him i needed time off to take my daughter to a show...but once i explained it to him, in detail, all the work and responsibility and learning experiences that goes with it...well, lets just say he went from frowning on the situation to announcing our show results at the faculty meetings  

GoWyo

My football coaches used to have a problem when I would miss the first couple of weeks of football practice due to county and state fair.  My senior year I explained to my coach that I loved football and did not want to let the team down, but that I had a much better chance of landing scholarships for livestock judging and related activities than I would ever have a football scholarship.  I still didn't get to start the first couple of games, but played most of those games anyway.  It was worth it and I would do it the same way again.  We need to inform teachers and coaches of the benefits of a well-rounded education, and that includes the industrial arts, agriculture, business, ROTC, etc.  All of these activities are important.

SWMO

There are much better ways to address this problem than being antagonistic and "in your face" with this educator.  You become no better than this person when you take the "you are a  moron approach". 

A face to face meeting with the teacher would be in order.  However, "you catch more flies with sugar than you do vinegar" any day.  A calm well reason approach is what is called for.  If this doesn't solve the problem then a meeting with the teacher and the principal is in order.  Just remember your daughter still has to deal with this person on a day to day basis even after you have resolved the current dispute.

My kids go to a High School that has in excess of 300 children per grade.  It is impossible to imagine all the excuses that a teacher will hear over the course of a year or a teaching career in a school this large about being absent.  With  that said, FFA is very active in our school and our ag teachers will address this lack of knowlege with any teacher that has a problem with my kids being gone.  There are some that will pile on the homework but that is the price that my kids must and are willing to pay in order to participate in such a grand organization as FFA is.

That being said, I always try and take the approach with my kids that you will have to deal with any number of types of people in the real world.  You are just getting a small taste of it in school.  I want them to learn how to handle these situations on their own if at all possible.  My kids really dont want me to talk to their teachers.  ;))  So they handle it if they can.

Jive Turkey

Remember, usually you can believe only about 50% of what happens at school when listening to your child.

Make sure you have a calm discussion with the teacher b/c if you were not told the "whole" story by your child, you may come out with egg on your face.