DNA testing for daddy of calf

Help Support Steer Planet:

Tex

We have a nice calf that we don't know who the father of the calf is. Does anyone do DNA testing for cattle to find out who the father of a calf is?

MaggyCattle

what breed is the calf? or the cow?

I know angus has DNA testing as well as the maine association...you can go to their breed websites and request a kit and send it back to them and they will do the test..

worthabit

in order to determine the parentage of your calf, the company doing the test will have to have reference samples from the bull or bulls you think could be the sire. you will have to send in a sample from your calf as well as samples from the possible sires or a list of their tattoos if they have a sample already submitted. It is basically a compare and rule out exercise.

Tex

The cow is a maine angus charlios cross cow, that is black colored.  The bulls are a Lifeline son and a Strictly Bussiness son.

justintime

Here in Canada, all Shorthorn sires have to have a DNA profile on file before any calves can be registered from them. This rule has been only in place for less than two years and it has already identified several calves who had the wrong sire listed on their pedigree. All ET calves have to be DNA parentage verified. All calves resulting from a situation where a female was AI'd and then turned out with a bull shortly after the AI breeding, also have to be DNA parentage verified, to determine which is the correct sire. Most other breeds in Canada have the same practice.

knabe

Tex said:
The cow is a maine angus charlios cross cow, that is black colored.  The bulls are a Lifeline son and a Strictly Bussiness son.

why does it matter who the father is?

Show Heifer

That was my thought knabe.....I bet if you DNA'd all the registered animals, at least 50% would not be who they think they are.  2 weeks early or 2 weeks late? Neighbors bull? Right AI straw....heck just think of how many promoted, high sought after AI sires were "mistakes" of DNA.....

Just pick one and go with it...thats what all the big boys do anyway.....

Tex

I suppose it does not matter who the daddy is the Lifeline son has paper the cow is commercial.  I just curious on what to tell someone if I wanted to sell him or keep him as a bull maybe register him.

OH Breeder

Tex said:
I suppose it does not matter who the daddy is the Lifeline son has paper the cow is commercial.  I just curious on what to tell someone if I wanted to sell him or keep him as a bull maybe register him.

If you are going Chi you will need DNA on file for both of the sires you expect or at least one of them to rule out the other. I recently found an AI sire that had no DNA on file and am patiently waiting for info. You can send info on either bull with the sample with the calf.