Do cattle have sensitivity feelings?

Help Support Steer Planet:

SKF

I definitly believe that they have feelings. Tonight we had some people come look at this steer we have for sale for their young daughter. Well as soon as the child saw the steer she started crying because she had a bad experience and is very afraid. It was cool and rainy out and this steer has been messed with but he's never been around that many people and especially with a small child crying. The parents kept trying to get the girl to come pet the steer and try to walk him by this time I am neverous wreak thinking he is going to act stupid but when the girl came up to him he reached up to her face which caused her to cry more and licked her tears. After that he just stood with her and she finially started walking he was soooooo good with her I could not believe how wonderful he was. It was like he knew that she was scared and did not want to scare her. I am still in shock at how great he was with the girl. So they will be picking him up Sat.

Shorthorn_Junkie

I had a cow that was lying around depressed for about a week, so I gave her some prozac and she was fine a couple of weeks later.

April's Fool!!!!  ;D

Bawndoh

SKF said:
I definitly believe that they have feelings. Tonight we had some people come look at this steer we have for sale for their young daughter. Well as soon as the child saw the steer she started crying because she had a bad experience and is very afraid. It was cool and rainy out and this steer has been messed with but he's never been around that many people and especially with a small child crying. The parents kept trying to get the girl to come pet the steer and try to walk him by this time I am neverous wreak thinking he is going to act stupid but when the girl came up to him he reached up to her face which caused her to cry more and licked her tears. After that he just stood with her and she finially started walking he was soooooo good with her I could not believe how wonderful he was. It was like he knew that she was scared and did not want to scare her. I am still in shock at how great he was with the girl. So they will be picking him up Sat.

Horses are like this too.  I have heard of so many horses that are cranky old farts when they are being ridden, and even several that will constantly buck people off.  But you put a 5 year old on them bareback, and they will be the sweetest thing on earth.
One of my horses is a freak whenever she see's kids...I am sure they could stand under her belly and she would protect them, and smell them and love them.  This horse has been like this since she was very young (maybe 2 yrs).  She will run to you across the pasture if she see's that  you have children with her, and then proceed to chase them around so they will pet her, and so she can smell their faces.
But I am sure cattle have feelings as well.  Ever notise one lone cow babysitting 30 calves?  They are ALWAYS a distance from the rest of the herd, and it is ALWAYS just one cow with several calves.  Do the other cows have "spa days" or something?  What do you think they do with this down time?  Ha Ha

knabe

the one lone cow probably pays the other cows to go off and gossip by themselves and not do it in front of the children.

red

I agree. cows gossip. I wonder if they discuss bulls, kids or food? mine I'm sure fret about how much hay is in the feeder & when the next bales coming! Right now they're talking about going out on the pasture but more rain expected.

Red

Bawndoh

Ha Ha... I agree.
We usually keep the cows a mile or more from the yard all year round.  Dad never bothers to shut the gate cause we are kind of in the middle of nowhere and the snow usually refrains them from leaving their bedding areas.  One beautiful March morning 40 cows started walking one-by-one up the driveway.  Mom, Dad, and I all looked at eachother in shock.  Dad went out on the doorstep and yelled "hey, girls, what are you doing...get back to where you came from".  Just like an army they stopped, turned around, and went right back out to the feild.  I got my boots and jacket on to follow them back, and by the time I caught up to them they were 1/4 mile away.
Explain that one!  Those cows are miraculous sometimes!

showgirl2010

Bawndoh said:
Ha Ha... I agree.
We usually keep the cows a mile or more from the yard all year round.  Dad never bothers to shut the gate cause we are kind of in the middle of nowhere and the snow usually refrains them from leaving their bedding areas.  One beautiful March morning 40 cows started walking one-by-one up the driveway.  Mom, Dad, and I all looked at eachother in shock.  Dad went out on the doorstep and yelled "hey, girls, what are you doing...get back to where you came from".  Just like an army they stopped, turned around, and went right back out to the feild.  I got my boots and jacket on to follow them back, and by the time I caught up to them they were 1/4 mile away.

That is great!  Wish my cows would do that.

My sisters heifer actually fetches.  My sis will leave a brush on the ground or showstick and the heifer will go grab whatever she wants done to her. If she wants a good tummy rub the showstick,  the brush if she wants a good brushing.  I have noticed lately the more kinder females will the very end soft part of the tongue to lick me where as the ones who have more of an attitude will rub my hand raw.

Jamie

garybob

showgirl2010 said:
Bawndoh said:
Ha Ha... I agree.

My sisters heifer actually fetches.  My sis will leave a brush on the ground or showstick and the heifer will go grab whatever she wants done to her. If she wants a good tummy rub the showstick,  the brush if she wants a good brushing.  I have noticed lately the more kinder females will the very end soft part of the tongue to lick me where as the ones who have more of an attitude will rub my hand raw.

Jamie
If ''we'', who have direct contact and experience with food animals, will admit they have sufficiant neurological development required to possess minds and emotional personalities (and the ability to have ''feelings''), then WHY do you argue against the notion that calving wrecks cause great pain and unnnecessary stress to both Cow and calf?

GB

knabe

this is along the argument of freedom of religion, except when it's human sacrifice, nambla, scientology etc.

what we fail to acknowledge, is that at some basal level, these types of dilemna's are arbitrary, and it's really culture.

i personally have no trouble with arbritrary.  most societies got over this by desensitization.

an interesting topic was just brought to light in CA yesterday.  a democrat in the state legislature wants to overturn the state law that outlaws members of the communist party to teach in public schools.

it is my feeling, that the government, especially the federal government, should be out of schools altogether, and let local communites deal with this.  that way, at least in CA, you won't get a bunch of communists registered as democrats, running the entire public school system, and any cries of reform or choice are met with staunch refusal to give up their monopoly.

yuppiecowboy

You know Knabe, i enjoy your posts. i agree with you almost without fail. But sometimes, i wonder, just where in the name of Sam Houston did that come from?

garybob

That's what we really need, here in the South! MORE opportunities for local big-shots to push their way around and push personal agendas (a.k.a. ''fire the coach''). To some degree, Federal oversight of National Educational Quality is needed, so long as Liberal agendas aren't pushed. Beleive me, the Gomers , Barneys, Thelma-Lou's and Goobers we have on our local School Board, only sought election because they have an ''axe to grind'', for example : "My boy didn't get to play as a starter, when, Bless his Heart, He's FFFffffffaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar more talented than them other L'il Boys!"

One of the few down-sides of living in the South.

GB

knabe

hey yuppiecowboy, that was pretty funny.

if one places anthropogenic qualities on animals, this can only lead down the path of not eating them as a matter of law.  this to me is the perfect intersection of just where a society draws the line.  i can't remember who is doing this with apes.  it's only a matter of time that this logicallly works it's way down to bacteria and the janesian perspective.

it shows up in N. Korea which recently designated dogs as livestock, which i assume means so they can eat them.

it shows up in US in not allowing other cultures to eat horse meat, or to even use it as dog food and that they must all be buried or not used at all for anything.  that's why i think the movie soylent green is so relevant. 

in the hearings about allowing communist party members to teach school, it was amazing that the only one's who stood up to the budding communists in the CA legislature, were those who had fled communism, such as those from southeast asia and testified about the "wonders" of communism.

it shows up in sam houston getting paid to occupy mexico, him revolting when taxes were too high, someone blurring the border where the first shot was fired, lincoln wanting to expand america, but not into mexico, it's pretty much human to want things both ways, yet we rarely take arguments to logical conclusions, which usually just end up with some sort of arbitrary lines.

i can't remember who said it, but there's a quote that goes something like democracy is the purest form of facism or the other way around.  the US is a republic, i guess was a republic, and the founding fathers tried to put roadblocks in there to slow down the federal government from going full tilt democratic as they basically knew that that would lead to mob rule.

if americans had a little more experience in weeding out those with axes to grind, they might go back to handing out trophies to only the winners and sometimes not even handing out trophies like the cy young award if there really was not outstanding pitching performance that year.  it used to be a single award, but now it's both leagues and you can win one without winning 20 games or striking out 300.  we have lowered the bar instead of raising it so that we can all be something we are not, equal.  not everyone can play in the NBA, yet we encourage too many kids to devote too many hours it when at least some of it could be used to do something else, like a back up plan.

shorthorns r us

knabe said:
not everyone can play in the NBA, yet we encourage too many kids to devote too many hours it when at least some of it could be used to do something else, like a back up plan.

happines, the pursuit of which is guaranteed by the Constitution, seldom lies in the back-up plan.  ???

knabe

one can pursue happiness linearly, or colinearly.  not making the nba and not having a backup plan is pursuit of unhappiness, which you are right they are entitled to do.  i guess then the question might be, how much money should the taxpayer fork over to deal with that unhappiness at the expense of one's own happiness.  counterbalancing forces, if allowed to occur, usually do a decent job at finding the appropriate price point as oppossed to subsidies, which usually skew it in favor of a trophy for everyone where no one is allowed to excel.  back to the beginning already with pursuing one's happiness playing basketball.  seems like everything is a carbon cycle.

Bawndoh

garybob said:
showgirl2010 said:
Bawndoh said:
Ha Ha... I agree.

Jamie
If ''we'', who have direct contact and experience with food animals, will admit they have sufficiant neurological development required to possess minds and emotional personalities (and the ability to have ''feelings''), then WHY do you argue against the notion that calving wrecks cause great pain and unnnecessary stress to both Cow and calf?

GB
I totally lost you here garybob.  Was that comment towards me, or showgirl2010?

renegade

I lost you too gb. Knabe I really think that this is more of a fun post about the things our cattle do and how we have connected with them - not anti america, non pursuit of happiness or pro communist type of thing.  I do agree with some of the things you say but im not sure that its relevent to this topic.  Since you are reading this on the computer it may come across as rude, but im not trying to be like that.

Rodeo

I'm always amazed by my cattle. In the summer, I was here at the house alone one afternoon and had the doors and windows open. Suddenly, I heard my bull having a fit. He was bawling in a way I had never heard. I rushed out to see what was wrong. I got about halfway to the barn and saw that he was looking at something behind a nearby pine tree in the yard. I walked toward the tree and there was a strange man standing behind it. Of course, my heart went in my throat. I didn't know this man; I live about a mile off the road; and I'm alone! It turned out that the guy was supposed to meet a neighbor about some hay and was in the wrong place, so he had been kind of wandering around. Anyway, I believe that my bull was trying to warn me because he never shows any real interest in people I bring around and he's been shown many times and is quite well-behaved around people.

Latest posts