Do January steers work anywhere?

Help Support Steer Planet:

shortyjock89

We just bought two pairs with bullcalves on them.  They're VERY nice calves, look like they could be some serious bull prospects.  If we DO cut one or both, we want to make sure we could sell them.  I know some people show January calves here in IL for very early shows, but I didn't know if they worked anywhere else.  Thanks a lot, OFS.

OH Breeder

In Ohio there are some county fairs in July. January calves are great for July county fairs here. THere may be a couple late June county fairs. I know the January calves always seem to sell just as well as others. Send me some pictures. I know a person that is looking for one. Or I can refer them too you.

shortyjock89

Hmm. Our county fair is early, it's a late June, but it seems like the steers that always win it are on track for State Fair in August.  I'll send you some pics as soon as I get some, the calves will be here next week.

stangs13

They might work well for ft.worth? They would be yearlings, then san antonio a few weeks later, then houston. Thats a long way from illinois though.

chambero

How old are the calves that are winning Kansas City and Louisville now?  I'd think a slow growing January one or one that is held would be ok for a Fall major.  January's just don't work in Texas.  Every once in a while you'll hear of a fast growning Brahman cross that young doing well at Houston, but that's about it.  Calves just can't get mature enough - even though you might get them to weight.  October is really about our cutoff down here.

TMJ Show Cattle

January calves will work for any summer terminal show.And they will work for shows at Kansas City and Tulsa State Fair. You don't have to have baby teeth at Tulsa anymore.

Dusty

January calves will work for July county fairs all the way to to Denver if you can hold them..

shortyjock89

CAB said:
Justin, do you mean Jan./March/April, or did you mean JAN.? Brent

I mean LEGIT January calves.  One is a Jan 2 that is a truck, and one is a Jan 27.  It's a long way off from weaning for these boys, and for all I know, they may both be kept bulls.  If worst comes to worst though, I think they'd be very marketable calves. 

JoeDirt

We take Febuary calfs to August 1 shows all the time so I would even take a January calf and hold him in late june to august.  It is always nice to be ahead of the game

WE want to see pictures PLEASE

Nasc

A lot of the steers shown during the winter in Ohio are older.
I’ve heard tales of some breeders that start having January calves during the week of Thanksgiving ;)

BudE

Be careful OSF, remember your dad picked them not you.  Don't over sell them till you see them!!  HA. 
BudE

OH Breeder

Nasc said:
A lot of the steers shown during the winter in Ohio are older.
I’ve heard tales of some breeders that start having January calves during the week of Thanksgiving ;)

You must show at the show that is the week of Thanksgiving in Ohio. Lots of January's....January's .....January's there. I figure if I keep telling myself then maybe they will really be January's. LOL. That old found them in January in a snow drift.

shortyjock89

BudE said:
Be careful OSF, remember your dad picked them not you.  Don't over sell them till you see them!!  HA. 
BudE

Don't let him fool you, I was there when they were picked. He kept asking me what I thought of them, so I told him to buy both of them. You know I don't let him buy much in the way of livestock without me seeing it first  ;)

Brent- The Jan 2nd is really a January. The guy selling them to us (former herdsman for the outfit) hates lying about ages as much as we do. 

We'll get pics when the calves get here and get settled in.