Do you flush heifers?

Help Support Steer Planet:

the angus111

DL, that has always been my attraction to you,money means nothing to you!or is it that you just have pot loads and dont need it?unlike you I have no morals or money and everything i have is for sale.rusty swks

DL

the angus111 said:
DL, that has always been my attraction to you,money means nothing to you!or is it that you just have pot loads and dont need it?unlike you I have no morals or money and everything i have is for sale.rusty swks

A3 - flattery will get you everywhere! Don't have pot loads of cash - and (this may sound strange) I would take less money if I knew a female was going to a "good" home.....I have cows I would sell for the "right" price and cows I won't sell for any price - I have worked hard to develop this herd and when it comes to my genetics I get first choice - I am greedy that way
;D

ROAD WARRIOR

DL - I'm a poor spectator when it comes to sports. The last time I watched a Hockey game was when the USA beat Russia in the olympics in the eighties. Couldn't tell you who was even in the last super bowl or world series, don't know nascar  drivers. I used to watch PBR once in a while but haven't done that for a couple of years.

OH Breeder

Road Warrior,
Now I don't feel bad. I haven't kept up with sports in so long. I use to ride and do jumping so I would watch equistrian events, but I don't watch any of that stuff. National Geographic, Animal Planet are primetime for me. Boring I know.

DLD

A3, I agree that heifers are often times carrying our most valuable genetics, and in that, it makes sense to me to try to utilize those as much and as soon as possible.

Never have flushed a heifer. Mostly I'm concerned about what it might do to their future reproductive health, but I guess there are quite a few techs that know how to make it work. I've also always tried to stick to the theory of only flushing to an already proven mating. But, if I felt truly comfortable that it would not compromise her future reproductive abilities, I would be willing to do it.

ROAD WARRIOR

OH Breeder said:
Road Warrior,
Now I don't feel bad. I haven't kept up with sports in so long. I use to ride and do jumping so I would watch equistrian events, but I don't watch any of that stuff. National Geographic, Animal Planet are primetime for me. Boring I know.

OH - I don't get the right channels to watch those shows ( too cheap to buy the little dish). I used to play alot of sports until the body finally told the mind to grow up. It's just not the same watching them now. My sports involvement now revolves around my 14 year old daughter, being a single father I seem to spend alot of time running her around to games,practices etc. We do catch a rodeo once in awhile at some of the shows we go to. Running a 14 Y O daughter around is about more time consuming than running 100 head of cows.

shorthorns r us

wow - had no idea that you were a single parent. i was raised by a single mom. now i have even more respect for you. how in the world do you keep up during calving and breeding time? wow!

DL

RW - well ya know that's OK - I don't remember who won the super bowl (I do know Buffalo lost 4 times in a row, but that's a Buffalo thing), don't do NASCAR - watching people drive in cricles on the tube isn't my thing; finally broke down and got a dish to watch the PBR a while ago and while I am glad the original founders made a pile of $ I liked it better with Donnie Gay - way to commercial and citified for my tastes. Did however buy my 87 yo mother the hockey package last year and it was a hoot! Buffalo fans are loyal - I haven't lived in BFLO for decades but the Sabres are my hockey team! (go Sabres)

What sports does your daughter do - that is a tougher job than running 100 cows. Good for you (clapping) (clapping) (clapping)

My Shorthorn Country finally came - gotta go see shortdawg......

A3 you gonna be around for a while? I got a topic for ya!!

ROAD WARRIOR

SRU & DL - She plays basketball now, did play ASA softball until she tore her shoulder up - had a cannon for an arm until she over abused it. We do most of the calving and sorting for breeding off horse back and she pitches in when she can, she loves to ride and is working on a HS Rodeo plan, but we don't do much babysitting our cows during calving season. The only ones we touch other than weighing and tagging are either coming backwards, leg back etc. etc. I don't look at cows in the dark anymore unless I know there is one on the way that won't make it here before dark. Started feeding cows just before dark a few years ago during calving season and don't have many night time calves. The mature cows all calve out in the pasture but I do sort off the first calf heifers into 10 acre pens around the barn for easier watching.

Latest posts