Do you have a favorite breed?

Help Support Steer Planet:

red

Thank you larryj for a good topic! Enjoy you posts.
I'm partial to Maine-Anjou cattle. Especially if they are red!!!! My picture is a purebred cow we call Rosie. She was an excellant show heifer & has gone on to be a really good producer. Spoiled rotten though!!
Red

justme

;)I've showed, shorthorns, angus, polled herefords, and limousines. But my favorite is Maines.  We raise Maines and Maintainers and don't care to sway to far from them.  Cutability, personality, and marketability make them great! 

showcattlegal

i really like Maines, they make good mothers. they have good temperments too. i have to pick them over angus, in the temperment department.
lacey

schoenbi

I got mostly limis. Most people give them a bad wrap cause they think of the old school looking ones with bad tempers. We have had a nasty one every now and then but not like everyone says they are. Cross them with angus (Lim-Flex) and you get a one heck of a cow.

red

schoenbi said:
I got mostly limis. Most people give them a bad wrap cause they think of the old school looking ones with bad tempers. We have had a nasty one every now and then but not like everyone says they are. Cross them with angus (Lim-Flex) and you get a one heck of a cow.
Yes, the farm had a couple of Limi's several years ago. Nasty dispositions. But produced some really nice steer calves. Several were class winners when crossed with our Maine/Angus bulls.
Red

idaho cowgirl

I love our Salers. They also got a bad rap. Great cows that have everything from calving ease to mothering ability and fertility.We also have Angus but the dispositions are questionable. I've also had Herefords--dumb. We are currently breeding Shorthorns and Maines to some Salers cows for club calves. We also own a Salers bull that produces some nice very square club calves. Been around lots of other breeds. Good ones in every breed as well as bad.

genes

Well being the type that hates to pick favorites, and growing up with a wide variety of mixed up cows, my answer to this question tends to be that they all have something to offer, especially in the right cross.

We have quite a few cows with Simmi in them and really like them...tend to milk well and calves to be growthy.  I'm also with Idaho cowgirl on Salers...I never had much luck with any Saler steers, but I love the 1/4 to 1/2 Saler females.  I gotta appreciate a big Maine butt, even though we don't really have any in our herd (well one was bought last year, bred to Tarentaise  :-\ and the calf still turned out pretty good.)

We have run black angus bulls for the last ten years or so and they work well for us.  We don't have dispostion problems with them.

Plus the angus turns them mostly black....mostly.....
100_0908.jpg

DL

Maines - purebred - great temperament, great mothers, great cows IMO
shortdawg - good to see ya! I am looking for that Mini Horn when the Bears beat now ho are they playing, oh yeah, the Ponies  ;D
DL

caldanmc

I grew up with commercial cows.  My dad used just about every breed of bull under the sun.  We had an AngusXHereford cow base with a touch of 'stein in 'em.  I remember using Hereford bulls, Saler bulls and even a beef master bull for a year or two.  Then we switched to a Limi bull.  I got involved in the Junior Limi Association, and worked for the largest breeder of limi cattle on the west coast.  Those were good times.  I had a tremendous amount of success in the limi deal, and met a bunch of great people.  After I graduated from high school, my dad and I switched to breeding for clubbies and maines.  The steer thing is great, and I would consider the maine breed my favorite, but I still have a soft spot for Limi's.  The best phenotypic female that I have ever seen in person was the deep cherry red Cinnamon Cookie.  Boy would I have loved to have had her in my herd. 

red

The best phenotypic female that I have ever seen in person was the deep cherry red Cinnamon Cookie.  Boy would I have loved to have had her in my herd. 

I saw a picture of her when looking at some web sites. That whole Cookie family has outstanding cows in it!
Your family herd sounds a lot like the farm's herd. Heinz 57 is what I call it. Although with a purebreed Maine bull as the herd bull it is becoming more Maine. Our nephew keeps the pot stired by buying a Shorthorn or Meyers' heifer to add the deversity. Genes is another with a variety of breeds in her herd.
Red

genes

Oops Red...I revealed my corriente in that picture  (lol) But even while I certainly wouldn't call them my favorite breed (truth be told Mom & I just about shot Dad when those stepped off the trailer) they have been economical.  Like I said, there's a place for just about anything.

I saw the pictures of the Cookie family too.  If I saw her in person or had her in my herd, I might become pretty partial to the Limi's too.  :D

AAOK

Maine-Anjou  We started out with a few Polled Herefords.  That's what my Father-in-Law had, and we got 'em cheap.  After a couple of years showing pigs, my girls decided the kids showing heifers were a "cut above".  We went to all the shows we could find, and the girls decided the Maine-Anjou calves were the prettiest (they were all red/white then, Red).  We started with a Cow/heifer calf pair, and a bred heifer.  Eighteen years later, I all the way up to 9 Maine-Anjou cows, and I'm firmly convinced no other breed comes close.

Sure, cutability, personality, and marketability are positives, but it's the Junior Program that makes the Maine-Anjou breed great.  Our daughters attended the Junior National events for 10 years, showing heifers, but more importantly learning Public Speaking, Animal Science, Salesmanship, livestock Judging, Photography, and most impotantly, learning about TEAMWORK. 

I know that all breeds have Jr. organizations, and National Jr. shows, but show me another breed which has grown as fast as the Maine-Anjou, and, it's all because of the Juniors.

And even BLACK, the Maine-Anjou calves are still prettiest.  DAN

Joe Boy

My post will sound like DL's.  Maines are my favorite.  I like the udders on my Chi's and shorthorns.  I love the disposition of my Maines.  I like the big bones and I love them as mothers.  I like the dark rich color of the red ones, but like my black ones better.

I still love to see a newborn hereford... they are beautiful....  I have had about everone of the major breeds so a photo of my herd could look like genes..... (cow)

austin

Joe Boy said:
My post will sound like DL's.  Maines are my favorite.  I like the udders on my Chi's and shorthorns.  I love the disposition of my Maines.  I like the big bones and I love them as mothers.  I like the dark rich color of the red ones, but like my black ones better.

I still love to see a newborn hereford... they are beautiful....  I have had about everone of the major breeds so a photo of my herd could look like genes..... (cow)
Let's see some pictures!

austin

AAOK said:
Maine-Anjou   We started out with a few Polled Herefords.  That's what my Father-in-Law had, and we got 'em cheap.  After a couple of years showing pigs, my girls decided the kids showing heifers were a "cut above".  We went to all the shows we could find, and the girls decided the Maine-Anjou calves were the prettiest (they were all red/white then, Red).  We started with a Cow/heifer calf pair, and a bred heifer.  Eighteen years later, I all the way up to 9 Maine-Anjou cows, and I'm firmly convinced no other breed comes close.

Sure, cutability, personality, and marketability are positives, but it's the Junior Program that makes the Maine-Anjou breed great.  Our daughters attended the Junior National events for 10 years, showing heifers, but more importantly learning Public Speaking, Animal Science, Salesmanship, livestock Judging, Photography, and most impotantly, learning about TEAMWORK. 

I know that all breeds have Jr. organizations, and National Jr. shows, but show me another breed which has grown as fast as the Maine-Anjou, and, it's all because of the Juniors.

And even BLACK, the Maine-Anjou calves are still prettiest.  DAN

Thanks for your imput, Dan. I'm looking into this breed more and more nowadays.

brahmerboy

Yes I have a favorite. Its called a Brahma.( First breed of cattle in the United States)!!! O0 I also have another favorite type, any kind of BEEF cattle. I really don't have an eye for Dairy cattle.

:)))  From Brahmerboy (cow)