doctor who

Help Support Steer Planet:

BCCC

Deffinatly not a sure fire calving ease sire but he does work, but you can get a big one.

DTW

Basically that is a no in my opinion.  I know of a family that bred Dr. Who to an angus heifer and had a 130 lb bull calf both heifer and calf was dead.  This was three years ago. 

Seems everyone keeps asking about calving ease clubby bulls.  And there isnt such a thing.

herefordfootball

DTW said:
Basically that is a no in my opinion.  I know of a family that bred Dr. Who to an angus heifer and had a 130 lb bull calf both heifer and calf was dead.  This was three years ago. 

Seems everyone keeps asking about calving ease clubby bulls.  And there isnt such a thing.

Dirty Harry is pretty good calving ease and imo he could make the clubby cut.

savaged

If you value the heifer, do not breed her to Dr. Who.  If you really value the heifer, use Northern Improvement, OCC Legend, et. al.

If she is really really good, then hope for a heifer from one of the above bulls, or used sexed semen, and then you have something even better than that first "clubby" calf.

Just my opinion of course.

thepoorfarm

Just posted pics of our Dr. Who by a shorthorn, 100+ lbs, mild asst, but I'm sure she could not have had him on her own, and she's a 5 yr old, big shoulders, but our Kadabra cows's Dr. Who was only about a 60lb .. so much comes from the Dam as well, but in my opinion I would not use him on heifers, a little risky

bs372280

There is only one clubby bull that I would use on heifers.  Without a doubt total solution is the only clubby that consistently throws 60-70 pound calves.  Yes he's not going to work on them smaller framed heifers, but some of the growthier type heifers he will work perfectly.