Dodge Cummins

Help Support Steer Planet:

Reinken Cattle Co.

I just bought a 97 dodge cummins 3500 dually with 220k miles on it. What do you dodge drivers think of these trucks with this high of miles?! it runs like a champ!I have a buddy that is die hard dodge and he looked it over and was surprised by its good cond. I did some back ground research and found out at 150k it had a motor rebuild done by woodhouse. its got a flat bed and seems ideal for what I need, I traded my 97 chevy 1500 for it that had 151k miles. looking for storys on your high mileage dodges. Thanks  ;D

mark tenenbaum

Reinken Cattle Co. said:
I just bought a 97 dodge cummins 3500 dually with 220k miles on it. What do you dodge drivers think of these trucks with this high of miles?! it runs like a champ!I have a buddy that is die hard dodge and he looked it over and was surprised by its good cond. I did some back ground research and found out at 150k it had a motor rebuild done by woodhouse. its got a flat bed and seems ideal for what I need, I traded my 97 chevy 1500 for it that had 151k miles. looking for storys on your high mileage dodges. Thanks  ;D IVE O0 OWNED SEVERAL and know of 91s running around with over 300000 miles, why would it need a rebuild at 150000?

Reinken Cattle Co.

Im not sure but woodhouse shows abunch of motor work at that... new head gasket and stuff.  so thats what they thought... kid that has it now is pretty clueless about it. 5th gear went out on him and now he is selling.. very easy fix a nut came loose is all.... nice warm shop and a "heavy duty nut kit" 40 dollars... will have it done in a day

wrc

I had a '91 that 285k on it when I sold it, no problems on engine, 1 transmision and so much wind noise in cab you couldn't hear the radio or talk on the phone.  Hell of a truck though.  My dad traded off a '94 this year with 240k, I was really mad at him for not telling me he was trading, I would have loved to have that truck.  Right now I have a 2003 with 145k on it and no plans to trade anytime soon. It's a great truck and I've never had it in the shop, believe it or not it still has the original batteries in it. Only changed the water pump and u joints and I did that myself.  I hope my next one is this good.

BCCC

220k miles? Thats just getting that 12V broke in! Love my dodges, love my 12V even more. The ole man just brought home a 97 12V can't wait to see it!(well more drive it)

Hilltop

wrc said:
I had a '91 that 285k on it when I sold it, no problems on engine, 1 transmision and so much wind noise in cab you couldn't hear the radio or talk on the phone.  Hell of a truck though.  My dad traded off a '94 this year with 240k, I was really mad at him for not telling me he was trading, I would have loved to have that truck.  Right now I have a 2003 with 145k on it and no plans to trade anytime soon. It's a great truck and I've never had it in the shop, believe it or not it still has the original batteries in it. Only changed the water pump and u joints and I did that myself.  I hope my next one is this good.
We Still have a 97 with 480000kms or aprox 295000 miles. Dont use it every day anymore that we have a 2008 cummins. We have replaced clutch but never did any major front end work  and it has seen quite a few harder miles as I drove it in the bush for work a few winters but never beat the crap out of it. Universals do not seem to last very long though. Will keep it until it dies!!! Body is in very good shape yet. I must admit that I do not miss driving it in -35 weather though. The new ones will NEVER be like this. The new emission control crap can not be good for a engine. I changed the oil to synthetic at 1000kms on the new truck and couldnt believe how BLACK it was the next morning when I checked oil. I am really wondering also how this new emission control equipment on vehicle is supposed to help when a new truck gets 3 of 4 miles to the gallon less pulling. Less pollution but a lot more fuel being burned. Have had computerized issues with it now at 30000 miles, but really enjoy the ride of the 3500 compared to 97 2500. I guess nothing is made like it used to be and in some ways is good but in this case definately not!!!

GoWyo

What's the old saying?  "If you want to watch your truck fall apart around the engine, go with a Dodge."  ;D

MJRFARMS

Our 91's odometer reads 325,670, but it also hasn't worked for 5 years. We figure it should brake 400k early summer, original engine, different tranny. It can still pull a load of calves at 75 mph with the best of them.

Hilltop

GoWyo said:
What's the old saying?  "If you want to watch your truck fall apart around the engine, go with a Dodge."   ;D
Is that like the saying "On a quit night you can hear a chev rusting a mile away" LOL

steel

97's are great trucks!  They have a 13 mm pump and run just killer!  I have a buddy that bought one with 800,000 on the stock motor.  The paint was bet off of it because it pulled a trailer from northern Indiana to California since it was new.  The 12v i just sold had 485,000 on it and ran like a top.  Cummins rep told me that 350,000 was scheduled rebuild but good oil and filter would prolong that.  Bring that truck to Indiana and let the truck pulling guys get ahold of it and they are worth there weight in gold.   

Reinken Cattle Co.

I feel like I got a pretty good deal on it.. guy didnt need it and needed a smaller truck that was auto for his wife.. liked my chevy with the lift and tires, I traded him my truck and 2500. Its got air bags on the rear. bradford bed.

Shady Lane

My last Dodge a '99 24V had 250,000+ miles on it the last I heard of, I sold it 3 years ago.

My current Dodge I bought new in Feb of 07 and is coming up on 120,000 miles, or just starting to get broke in.  (thumbsup)

I family friend had 750,000 miles on his '95 the last time I saw it. he pulled a double deck gooseneck trailer, calves one way with the deck cranked up and then two decks of sheep or hogs the other way.

I don't have much bad to say about a Dodge truck.

steel

370 marine injectors 400 bucks,  3000 governor springs 168 bucks,  welding the check valve 10 bucks,  plugging the waste gate 8 bucks, laser cut delivery valves 250 bucks.  PISSING PEOPLE OFF THAT DRIVE FORIEGN CARS IN THE BIG CITY PRICELESS!

BCCC

steel said:
370 marine injectors 400 bucks,  3000 governor springs 168 bucks,  welding the check valve 10 bucks,  plugging the waste gate 8 bucks, laser cut delivery valves 250 bucks.  PISSING PEOPLE OFF THAT DRIVE FORIEGN CARS IN THE BIG CITY PRICELESS!
It much eaiser to make em mad if you don't have stacks(even better if they have their window down lol), although toss a little oil down those stacks, and hit the roads and cars will be stopping because they can't see anything through all the smoke!

Latest posts