Dog food?

Help Support Steer Planet:

red

I had to laugh while looking through a magizine. Alpo is advertising a canned dog food that is Angus beef. Now, is that for the dog or the owner? Woody & Poolie have never asked me if their food is CAB!

Also ave you noticed all the pet foods even for cats that have greens, rice & other veggies in them? What's next all vegetarian foods for our cats & dogs? Woody & Poolie just want MEAT!!!!! A nice bone is also welcomed!

Red  (dog) (dog) (dog)

Telos

It's all about selling, selling and more selling. Marketing decisions are made at the executive level from information acquired from marketing experts. The public has grown to recognize the word "Angus". Beef is also being promoted as "Angus" or "Black Angus", which is completely different then "Certified Angus Beef". The consumer does not know the difference.

The pet food industry is trying to rebound from last year's scare. I was at the store today buying cat food and they even had organic cat food. Go figure.

By the way, my cat had her babies Friday night behind my fence. I think there are 4 or 5 newcomers. I'll be trying to find  homes for the little ones. Any takers?

red

Telos said:
By the way, my cat had her babies Friday night behind my fence. I think there are 4 or 5 newcomers. I'll be trying to find  homes for the little ones. Any takers?

Telos- my barn kitten is expecting in about a month. Want to swap kittens? She's a calico & the daddy is black I think.  ;)

Red

knabe

perhaps if the dairy industry felt a tad more isolated, they would cull cows a little earlier.  that said, the way they look now phenotypically, it's probably a very fast fall from production to falling down as fine boned and gut heavy as they are.  hold the feed a few days and they can get sorry looking pretty fast.

i find it hard to believe that with good records, the turnover of genetics, that the industry can't seem to cull animals in a little earlier.  probably like anything, it's the exception that gets the attention.

is perfection the goal?  i still haven't seen what anyone is supposed to do when an animal goes down and how you are supposed to move them.

what are approved devices to either lift them up or move them.  i haven't seen PETA, HSUS recommend anything.  is it out there?

what would you do if somone dumped a downer cow in your driveway and how would you move it?  actual serious question and not a metaphor.

minimoo38

PETA approved version to move the bovine-type animal: i would have to be so very nice to it. get her a pillow, blankie, and a bedtime story. take her into the house and put her in my bed while i go sleep in the straw.

my cow moving version: get the gun. get the skidloader. problem solved.

Dusty

knabe said:
what would you do if somone dumped a downer cow in your driveway and how would you move it?   actual serious question and not a metaphor.

First off I would shoot it, then wrap a log chain around it and drag it off somewhere for the coyotes to eat.  If it was in the fall/winter I would probably use the cow as bait for the coyotes and set some traps around it.

If I had a downer cow because of injury and not disease etc I woud probably shoot it, bleed it out, drop the guts and peel the hide off,  and then try and carve off whatever meat I thought looked appetizing.  I would drag whatever was left off somewhere out of the way for the coyotes.  

Coyotes are nature's rendering plant.......

knabe

so are wolves dusty.  supposedly wolves will bury some of their leftovers, including that of human.

http://wolfcrossing.org/2008/02/24/wolves-in-russia-anxiety-through-the-ages-reviewed-again/

fear of human is a natural behavior.  man is a participant legislated out of nature.  man's role is probably to clear some trees to allow the fauna to be more diverse.

oops, forgot this one.

http://www.aws.vcn.com/wolf_attacks_on_humans.html

Noted naturalists documented wolf attacks on humans. John James Audubon, of whom the Audubon Society is named, reported an attack involving 2 Negroes. He records that the men were traveling through a part of Kentucky near the Ohio border in winter. Due to the wild animals in the area the men carried axes on their shoulders as a precaution. While traveling through a heavily forested area, they were attacked by a pack of wolves. Using their axes, they attempted to fight off the wolves. Both men were knocked to the ground and severely wounded.  One man was killed. The other dropped his axe and escaped up a tree.  There he spent the night. The next morning the man climbed down from the tree. The bones of his friend lay scattered on the snow. Three wolves lay dead. He gathered up the axes and returned home with the news of the event. This incident occurred about 1830. (Audubon, J.J., and Bachman, J.; The Quadrupeds of North America, 3 volumes. New York, 1851 - 1854)

Rocky Hill Simmental

I wouldn't feed a dog vegetarian dog food. They need their protein.. meat protein, not vegetable protein. Vegetarian cat food would be extra funny since cats are true carnivores.  (lol)

I feed my dogs Purina Dog Chow. I used to feed them Ol Roy until I found out what it was made out of.

All my cats have been having kittens too. I have 2 cats that catch mice.. the others just eat cat food and reproduce.

dutch pride

5 kittens by the step in the garage, more somewhere in the barn, can't find them.  Cats eat cheapest dry food who can find or go fend for them selves.

kanshow

Two cats had kittens but only one mother is taking care of the whole bunch of them.  One litter was born in the bale processor and when DH went to dump the rest of the bale out (w/out processing) he found most of them alive and well.  Then a couple days later, we found a kitten in the horse hay feeder - where he dumped the bale.  That one is not quite right and the kids have named him/her Alfalfa Lynx.   

My dogs have never asked for CAB either.    If you look at the label - meat (not a meat by-product) should be the first listed ingredient - that's how you tell if it is a good dog food.  Different dogs/types/breeds do better on different foods.. ours do very good on Iams & Eukanuba.  I know a lot of people with sporting dogs that feed ProPlan.