donors?

Help Support Steer Planet:

pigguy

what are some of the better maine and shorthorn donors and where can i find them at? i found one that i kinda like and if i want i can also get the right to flush to any bull i want for $4000 (6 number one embryos guarenteed)

Sire: Strictly Business
    Dam: GVC Whitney 892H 
      P.B. Maine Anjou
    AMA Reg#-356701
    by Doctor Who

Doc

There will be plenty of flushes selling on Shorts this fall. I just looked at RC Show cattles' catalog at jtmorelandshowcattle.com , they are offering the rights to flush any of the dams of the calves in the sale. There is some pretty nice calves & with some pretty good pedigrees in it. They are selling Shorts, clubbies & angus. (clapping)

justintime

We have a number of Shorthorn donors. Here are two that we are selling flushes at auction in " The Fever" Sale, Olds, Alberta on Oct 12/07. We have some others that we are flushing this fall, and several more will be flushed throughout the next year starting in April/08. The roan cow is Prairie Lane Sparkle 1M x, who is the dam of the Major Leroy bull pictured by my name.  The red cow is Shadybrook Presto 73G x*, who is from the Picture Perfect cow family. We have sold embryos to 5 countries out of Presto in the past 3 years, and all the embryos we had on hand from Sparkle recently sold to Scotland.

The red and white markings cow is HC Lady Sophia 7N x*. She is a donor here and is sired by Byland Gold Spear x from a CCS Equity's Chermer ET x* dam. We are offering 100% in her in the Fever sale, and we are also offering free board for a year. We are retaining the right to collect 5 embryos from her in the future. She is bred May 25 th to K-Kim Last Call 159N ET x*

Attachments

• Prairie Lane Sparkle 08-12-07sm.jpg
    Prairie Lane Sparkle 08-12-07sm.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 431
  • Shadybrook Presto 73G x- 2007sm.jpg
    Shadybrook Presto 73G x- 2007sm.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 427
  • HC Lady Sophia 7N - 06-19-07-sm.jpg
    HC Lady Sophia 7N - 06-19-07-sm.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 446

AAOK

maine12 said:
what are some of the better maine and shorthorn donors and where can i find them at? i found one that i kinda like and if i want i can also get the right to flush to any bull i want for $4000 (6 number one embryos guarenteed)

P.B. Maine Anjou
     AMA Reg#-356701
     by Doctor Who

[size=10pt][size=10pt]This is a May 2005 heifer.  There is no proof she is anywhere close to Donor quality.  Who would flush on unproven cow?  Answer:  Someone with more Dollars than Sense.[/size][/size]

DL

AAOK said:
maine12 said:

P.B. Maine Anjou
    AMA Reg#-356701
    by Doctor Who

[size=10pt][size=10pt]This is a May 2005 heifer.  There is no proof she is anywhere close to Donor quality.  Who would flush on unproven cow?  Answer:  Someone with more Dollars than Sense.[/size][/size]

Agree with AAOK - this sounds like a great deal for the seller and a big expense for the buyer..

ROAD WARRIOR

The simple facts are IMHO that too many people are flushing sub par cows or heifers that have no track record at all except for maybe the show ring. For me to flush a cow she needs to be in the top 2% of the herd for production. I know people that will flush cows simply because she "pedigrees up" good and they know that some one will buy them off of the papers even if the cow has never produced a decent calf in her life. For some the mighty dollar speaks louder than their conscience.

Jill

Ok for what it is worth here are my thoughts. 
1. If this were my cow I wouldn't have any problems flushing a 2005 calf, it cost around 500 for the flush, freeze and transfer divided by the number of embroys, good enough price I will take a chance if she has had a really good calf the 1st time around so the 2005 doesn't really bother me.
2. I would not take a chance on someone elses 2005 for 4000.00 plus 500 expenses that becomes a very expensive gamble.
3. I would not flush with anyone without guaranteed pregnancies, you have 6 guaranteed embryos that could mean 0 calves for 4500, that is a really expensive lesson.
4. If I were going to flush under your scenerio I would go ahead and pay the 5000 and flush to her mother that has a proven track record.
5. You can buy some really good flushes or just purchase embryo's from several different flushes, why put this much money into 1 basket with no guarantees whatsoever?
6. Whatever you decide to do GET IT IN WRITING, you are not buying a live calf that transfers ownership when you pay, you are taking someone word that they will do all of this and you will get paperwork somewhere down the line, I don't care if this is your best friend, make them write down exactly what you get.

Doc

Jill said:
Ok for what it is worth here are my thoughts. 
1. If this were my cow I wouldn't have any problems flushing a 2005 calf, it cost around 500 for the flush, freeze and transfer divided by the number of embroys, good enough price I will take a chance if she has had a really good calf the 1st time around so the 2005 doesn't really bother me.
2. I would not take a chance on someone elses 2005 for 4000.00 plus 500 expenses that becomes a very expensive gamble.
3. I would not flush with anyone without guaranteed pregnancies, you have 6 guaranteed embryos that could mean 0 calves for 4500, that is a really expensive lesson.
4. If I were going to flush under your scenerio I would go ahead and pay the 5000 and flush to her mother that has a proven track record.
5. You can buy some really good flushes or just purchase embryo's from several different flushes, why put this much money into 1 basket with no guarantees whatsoever?
6. Whatever you decide to do GET IT IN WRITING, you are not buying a live calf that transfers ownership when you pay, you are taking someone word that they will do all of this and you will get paperwork somewhere down the line, I don't care if this is your best friend, make them write down exactly what you get.

Pretty good line of thinking Jill :)

RSC

AAOK said:
maine12 said:
what are some of the better Maine and shorthorn donors and where can i find them at? i found one that i kinda like and if i want i can also get the right to flush to any bull i want for $4000 (6 number one embryos guarenteed)

P.B. Maine Anjou
     AMA Reg#-356701
     by Doctor Who

[size=10pt][size=10pt]This is a May 2005 heifer.  There is no proof she is anywhere close to Donor quality.   Who would flush on unproven cow?  Answer:  Someone with more Dollars than Sense.[/size][/size]

The female being talked about is the one in my sig picture and yes she is a young female.  What I have stated on my webpage is to draw interest but not set in stone as far as $$$.  I have been willing in the past to share flushes with interested breeders to help them bring the risk and cost down as well as allowing me to get more embryos in the tank.

Yes Jessica is young and it is riskier to flush her with out a proven track record.  We did flush her as an open heifer to Dr. Who and the calves are really looking the part.  I know many don't agree with flushing open females but I have had good luck in the past.  If  you are interested, 2 of her ET calves are pictured on my Website under our Supreme Results Sale Page.

If you are looking for something more proven, I am an owner in her Mother, GVC Whitney who has proven herself to be a successful donor. 

Maine 12, A final note,  I love to talk cattle  and you are more than welcome to email me or give me a call to see if I can help you in anyway!

RSC,
Tony Romshek (402)641-6290

OH Breeder

I was looking to see if RSC was going to jump in on this one. As he stated he is one of the owners of dam. Isn't ICE CHEST out of Whitney cow?

RSC

OH Breeder said:
I was looking to see if RSC was going to jump in on this one. As he stated he is one of the owners of dam. Isn't ICE CHEST out of Whitney cow?

OH Breeder,

I was scrolling through the board and was kind of shocked when I opened up a thread about Donors and Jessica's pedirgree was at the top.  I would agree with almost every point made about flushing a young donor.  I guess I should probably state on my site to call if you have interest instead of quoting a price.  As stated, flushing any cow can be risky if some sort of a guarentee isn't stated.  I believe  Jessica will rank right up there with her Dam in time.

Yes, Whitney is the Dam of Ice Chest.  Actually the Ohio Beef Expo get's alot of credit for the Success we had with Ice Chest and Whitney.  A college classmate wanted me to help find him a herd bull to try and raise some calves for his kids to show.  When I first helped him purchase Ice Chest we were talked out of displaying him in Denver.  After going to Denver,  we decided that he needed to get out so we could see what people thought of him.  We were very new to the Promo Bull world so we took him to our local Nebraska Cattlemans Classic.  Someone there told us that since people seemed to like him in Kearney that we should see if we could get a display and haul him to Ohio.  I guess we were young and dumb enough and tried it.  After the Ohio expo is when we decided to purchase Whitney.  It has been a fun ride and I have very fond memories of the Expo and the Frozen Gold sale as well.

Thanks,

RSC

Telos

RSC, have you ever thought about flushing Whitney or Jessica to KBC Taz? Those genetics seem fairly predictable for getting replacement females with their genetics. Just something I would consider for building a cow herd. Eldon Starr's bull, CTR Success would be another choice of mine. Who Da Man which I like if you could get some semen might work well  IMO. These would be strictly for replacement females though. I personally like just a little Chi genetics with the Maine genetics.

Just some ideas if I owned those girls, but I don't.

RSC

Telos said:
RSC, have you ever thought about flushing Whitney or Jessica to KBC Taz? Those genetics seem fairly predictable for getting replacement females with their genetics. Just something I would consider for building a cow herd. Eldon Starr's bull, CTR Success would be another choice of mine. Who Da Man which I like if you could get some semen might work well  IMO. These would be strictly for replacement females though. I personally like just a little Chi genetics with the Maine genetics.

Just some ideas if I owned those girls, but I don't.

Telos,  I haven't really considered those two but I do like alot about both bulls.  My son showed a Taz X PB Char steer this year for his first year and I really like about that taz calf.  Moderate, great disposition and easy fleshing.  Success is a bull I have seen good things from as well.  I have always thought about trying some chi genetics with Whitney.  Several years ago we flushed her to Heat Seeker and actually didn't put any embryos in until this year. Sold some and a couple turned out pretty good.    I have seen some real nice calves out of Success X Char.  Will he keep the frame score down?  Both Jess & Whitney need to be used on a smaller frame bull.  This year we have some Jazz & Hard Core calves coming.

Two Maine bulls I like are Open Bar & Mitten Man.  Open Bar and Jessica is something I want to try this Spring.  This would be a Grand Son of Whitney X A daughter.  We have had good luck linebreeding in the past.  She is Bred right now to Duffs New Edition.  If that clicks I may flush her to an OCC Bred bull to get good Maternal bloodlines.  I have also thought about Lifeline.

Any Thoughts?

Thanks,

RSC

Telos

It looks like you're exploring all the options. Open Bar x Jessica sure looks interesting on paper. Have you thought about Heat Wave for show steers? I might be interested in buying and embryo or two. I'm familiar with Whitney and really like the looks of Jessica. I agree with the downsizing. Icepick was a great downsizer, like a lot of those carriers.

OH Breeder

Telos said:
It looks like you're exploring all the options. Open Bar x Jessica sure looks interesting on paper. Have you thought about Heat Wave for show steers? I might be interested in buying and embryo or two. I'm familiar with Whitney and really like the looks of Jessica. I agree with the downsizing. Icepick was a great downsizer, like a lot of those carriers.

YOu bring up a good point. What is the best type of cow to use ICE PICK on? Did he add bone? What did he click on Telos? Have heard depended on cow type.

afhm

Telos those Who Da Man's make real good steers as well.  John Sullivan has a real nice bull calf out of him in his pasture sale next month.  You can get some color from him as well.  I have seen some red roans and black /white paints from.  From my experiences/observations Ice Pick works best on Chill Factor and other Cunia influenced daughters.  Griswold and Thrasher has probably had more sucess than anyone using Ice Pick and that is how they bred him.  The best steer I ever saw out of him was out of a Sim X sim/ang cow (he went on to win the Kansas State Fair in 2002).  He will down size them, add great hair and put a massive hip in them.  One downside is they tend to have a little higher tailhead setting than most .

Telos

I'm by no means the person to be discussing what Ice Pick works best on. Others are much more qualified. I do know, however that a few JDS Stout genetics have worked well for producing show bulls and some heifers. You are right, Junia genetics have surfaced with his pairing up, especially with Irish Whiskey. Some things that I like about some of those Ice Pick genetics is the rib circumference, overall muscle and most seem to toe straight forward. Smaller foot size is something which seems to be common, and is something I don't like. I think the PHAF offspring from that line can be special, too. I do not think you can say that about the Stinger lines. Never did see a PHAF Stinger that was great. IMO, Ice Pick works well on those prettier, sharper made and a tick larger framed kind of cows. He can sure put some guts and mass in his offspring as well as anything out there. Ohio Breeder, seldom is bone much of an issue with Maine genetics. Most all  have plenty of bone, at least for me anyway.

I do like Who DA Man and think he has an awesome pedigree for steer and female production. Females from him might become real valuable also. He is my favorite WMW and Sugar Ray derivative and appears to be loose made in his structure. Attitude could be an issue. He might be the bull to keep an eye on. I've already seen a couple of his calves that really look sharp. It appears Sullivan's have some good ones by him.

RSC-- Even though CTR Success isn't very popular and probably will not give you immediate success in the showring... I like him from a production standpoint. I have seen too many females by him and they just produce. He seems to work well on Maine genetics. There is not many holes in him and his females are simply awesome and do a lot of things right.

RSC

I just took a picture of a Dr. Who (Pha & TH Free 3/4 Blood) son of Jessica so I thought I would share!

Thanks,

RSC

Attachments

• Housecall John 2a final 1a1.jpg
    Housecall John 2a final 1a1.jpg
    228.2 KB · Views: 449

red

Maine12- Tony or RSC would be a great one to talk cattle too. Very forth coming & honest w/ his animals & bloodlines.

Red