Don't get mad ...

Help Support Steer Planet:

knabe

i don't remember show steers having so much trouble marbling 20-30 years ago.  again, my sample is CA, not where chambero has presented great evidence to the contrary.

C-CROSS

Just my 2 cents worth, but as a breeder of clubbies, my husband and I are extremely honest, sometimes to a fault.  We don't get a bunch of people to our sale as some.  But we are not beoned telling of a attitude, if we think it could be a problem or structure, to families, to the traders my be a different story.  This year we had a couple alves we felt were the top end, at the last 7,000 dollars it was a trader and a family, I told the trader we had a family bidding on the steer, in hopes he would back off as he would never show agaist this steer, he never quit, in the end I am glad the family did't get him.

simtal

knabe said:
i don't remember show steers having so much trouble marbling 20-30 years ago.  again, my sample is CA, not where chambero has presented great evidence to the contrary.

I don't remember show steers getting paid to marble

doubled

Well I havent jumped in on this one, kinda waiting on what other people had to say- I cant speak for other states but I can speak for what I know here in Iowa-
I have showed my whole life and both my sons showed, not just county fair, we have showed state and national level and have been pretty successful, unfortunately show steers
frankly have gotten out of control, price wise and they way in which they are made, I wonder how many of you realize that those steers that have butts bigger than a door
are mostly (not all) AIR-  we buy and sell show steers and heifers,and try very hard to market an honest, true, sound animal that might not win the biggest show you have ever seen but we
sure will compete at the top most of the time, we do ask high prices but not outrageous prices, we struggle to get people to view our cattle not becasue they arent good enough but
because our name is not ONE of the names.  But mostly here in Iowa if you are gonna win you gotta pay pretty big bucks, its rare, very rare for a $1000 steer to win an IJBBA show.
It is unfortunately the world we live in.  As far as heifers go I believe that you should pay more for heifers it justs makes sense, at least you have a shot at making up that money you
spent. If everyone out there would just go to these private treaty sales that are not Just the Names, ones and give some of these other people a chance maybe the whole out of control
steer thing would come down some and be more competitive.  I have witnessed so many people buy 15,000 steers get them home show them once, then he cant walk and
just leave them in the barn.  At least if you are showing a 2000 or 3000 steer that can walk, get 2nd or 3rd most of the time, you are out there having a romping good time meeting
people and having fun.  Just a thought....

knabe

simtal said:
knabe said:

for the steers that are not in the top 3 or 4 out here, maybe top 20 or 30 in texas?, the sad truth is, that out here, show steers are marketed towards people that think they are purchasing high quality meat and that they are helping kids.  the sad truth is, i went to see last yearsa couple of fair's steers  hanging on the rail, and only ONE had a remote chance at grading choice.  the rest were pathetically devoid of backfat, i'd say in the range of 0.15- 0.2 and nary a nibble of marlbling.  this is a sure fire way to not have repeat customers and lose support in the meat sales.

so, i guess i do remember show steers getting paid to marble.  why would i purchase an animal that's supposed to be fat and not have it be fat. (question mark not included on purpose)

doubled

knabe said:
simtal said:
knabe said:

for the steers that are not in the top 3 or 4 out here, maybe top 20 or 30 in texas?, the sad truth is, that out here, show steers are marketed towards people that think they are purchasing high quality meat and that they are helping kids.  the sad truth is, i went to see last yearsa couple of fair's steers  hanging on the rail, and only ONE had a remote chance at grading choice.   the rest were pathetically devoid of backfat, i'd say in the range of 0.15- 0.2 and nary a nibble of marlbling.  this is a sure fire way to not have repeat customers and lose support in the meat sales.

so, i guess i do remember show steers getting paid to marble.  why would i purchase an animal that's supposed to be fat and not have it be fat. (question mark not included on purpose)

Very true- I wonder if there are any statistics on all the champion steers that have won the last 5 years and how each of them cut out, bet we would be shocked
at how horrible they manage to cut out, Im also sure we would find some dark meat.

knabe

justamom said:
Very true- I wonder if there are any statistics on all the champion steers that have won the last 5 years and how each of them cut out, bet we would be shocked
at how horrible they manage to cut out, Im also sure we would find some dark meat.

chambero's stats in texas state otherwise.  my reference is california county fairs.  i'll try and find those links.

Bawndoh

Speaking of overpriced cattle...on SP itself, I have seen some rough looking calves, that were grossly overpriced.  I know that a photo does not always look similar to the calf, but the calf does not always look similar to the photo.  I have many times passed by putting my opinion on the thread because it would not be nice.  I have seen some calves who are not perfect, but could stand a few changes, so I post my opinion.  There have been photos of some calves on here that I quite frankly, just want to BASH...because the cattle look TERRIBLE!!  I, however, feel that everyone would call me out, and think I was a bit** because I voiced my own opinion.  The thing is....do we let people go on thinking their cattle are ok, or do we tell them our HONEST opinions, and help them on the road to better cattle?  I know there are "nice" ways of doing this, but some people think it is rude to tell the truth...therefore some situations are inevidable.
I have also seen bred heifers, and young calves on here that have been called "green", but the truth is that they have no natural thickness or fleshing abiliies, and the only cattle at my place that ever look like that, are the underfed (because of drought) or sick ones.  They always seem to be overpriced, but I never leave a remark, because I think it would be a bit mean to.  However, if you ask for an opinion...do I give one...after all this is a forum...

doubled

knabe said:
justamom said:

chambero's stats in texas state otherwise.  my reference is california county fairs.  i'll try and find those links.

I would be interested in seeing that, in Iowa im not so sure and at aksarben not so sure, interesting none the less

doubled

Bawndoh said:
Speaking of overpriced cattle...on SP itself, I have seen some rough looking calves, that were grossly overpriced.  I know that a photo does not always look similar to the calf, but the calf does not always look similar to the photo.  I have many times passed by putting my opinion on the thread because it would not be nice.  I have seen some calves who are not perfect, but could stand a few changes, so I post my opinion.  There have been photos of some calves on here that I quite frankly, just want to BASH...because the cattle look TERRIBLE!!  I, however, feel that everyone would call me out, and think I was a bit** because I voiced my own opinion.  The thing is....do we let people go on thinking their cattle are ok, or do we tell them our HONEST opinions, and help them on the road to better cattle?  I know there are "nice" ways of doing this, but some people think it is rude to tell the truth...therefore some situations are inevidable.
I have also seen bred heifers, and young calves on here that have been called "green", but the truth is that they have no natural thickness or fleshing abiliies, and the only cattle at my place that ever look like that, are the underfed (because of drought) or sick ones.  They always seem to be overpriced, but I never leave a remark, because I think it would be a bit mean to.  However, if you ask for an opinion...do I give one...after all this is a forum...
True I agree with you, I try to be nice, but truthful, if they are really bad I usually dont comment, but for sure if we are putting out pictures we are open for criticism ( I found that out)
but there are ways to say not so nice things, we all want the most bang for our buck.  But....maybe the best is to just not comment, when people dont reply to your posts or dont
send PM's you get the hint for sure.  But whats overpriced to you might not be overpriced in a different area of the country.  It is what it is.

Bawndoh

Just sad that the same calf could do awesome one place, then 1500 miles away, is garbage. 
I have said it 100 times, but I will say it again...isnt beef, supposed to be BEEF!  There are some cattle that have been posted on here that could be mistaken for a Llama because they have about as much thickness as one!  I am just wondering why the owners of these cattle have cattle to begin with, and what their intentions are?

doubled

Bawndoh said:
Just sad that the same calf could do awesome one place, then 1500 miles away, is garbage. 
I have said it 100 times, but I will say it again...isnt beef, supposed to be BEEF!  There are some cattle that have been posted on here that could be mistaken for a Llama because they have about as much thickness as one!  I am just wondering why the owners of these cattle have cattle to begin with, and what their intentions are?

That is true,  (lol) funny the way you put that with Llamas haha - but true, I think sometimes people just like to join in on the discussions which is great that is what steer planet is
for- I think we all need to be more truthful but nice (not sure how exactly to do that) the Mom in me just cant be totally mean

simtal

Bawndoh said:

well if you get paid to have them look like that then its a no brainer