Double-Bred Gold Spear calves

Help Support Steer Planet:

shortyjock89

Has anyone here ever had any experience with linebreeding Gold Spear genetics?  We have a calf out of a Waukaru Nan cow that is sired by Gold Spear and our herd bull by Goldmine 2109 (Gold Spear son).  We were thinking about breaking the calf and showing him at Jr. Nationals this year, and then selling him at the Iowa Royal next year.  He was born Thanksgiving day, and he looks really good right now, but we're not exactly sure of what to expect, and I was wanting maybe a more experienced opinion than what I have.

Also, he's needing a name.  Daddy's name is Mickey, and Momma's name is Nan.  I was thinking of something with "Gold" incorporated, but I'm open to all sorts of suggestions.  He's solid red too, btw.

OH Breeder

Manny's Gold Maker
He was a famous race horse, but Nan and Mickey make Manny and pappa gold makes gold.

garybob

There are so many Gold Spears, with "GOLD" in their names. Same with the Cattle descended from Armstrong Gold VO. You'd be lucky if you didn'y copy off someone else's name. I'd suggest "Polled Gold", or, you could use something unique like "Assay". What about "Certified Gold"? What about "Au", or something else from the Periodic Table?

Have fun with it!
GB