Double Carrier Shorthorn Breeding ?'s

Help Support Steer Planet:

herf96

Not really wanting to start a topic of why or why not to breed double carriers, just wanting to know some ideas of some might breed these cows too.  I have two flushmate heifers that are Xray vision daughters X kaba keystone, and are phenotypically very nice.  They are both real stout, hairy, and sound, one could use a touch more body and the other just touch more look.  I used tiger wooods this time and will be having calves this august.  Just wondered if anyone has used any other clean pedigreed bulls that would work in this situation, trying to produce shorthorn marked club calves with plenty of look and muscle?  I really like some of the lautner red bulls advertised, has anyone seen them.  Red Bull looks interesting for this scenario, has anyone seen him?  Crimson Tide, a little confused on his carrier status, but looks good.  He is marked as TH and PHA free on the website and some magazines, but in others he is a carrier of one or the other, anyone know?  I guess  I could call.  Just wanting some ideas. Thanks

showsteerdlux

How tall are they? If they are shorter framed I would say Ace of Diamonds on the one needing to be prettied up. Crimson Tide is a PHAC.

Shady Lane

The bull Mark mentioned, HC FL Touchdown 123T, is available from the owners (myself and Grant Alexander) our from Genex.

PB Shorthorn, hairy, stout, big ribbed and clean, 2009 Canadian national champion.

pic included,

Attachments

• Touchdown cwa.jpg
    Touchdown cwa.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 249

chambero

Do you remember if Kris Black's Tank bull was clean or not?  Kris used to sell some pretty cool looking shorthorn-marked calves out of him.  He might be a TH carrier though - don't remember.

JPJ would be a true Shorthorn option also that would be an outcross to the DV line.

herf96

Some real good ideas.  Tank I believe is a carrier, Carpe Diem is a carrier and I beilieve that is where it comes from.  Did not think of him, but do have some semen on him.  Do the Tiger Calves look good at selling time and do they finish well?  JPJ was what both females had as first calf heifers, they were nice, just trying to hit a home run.

jd720

I would try Fringe I haven`t used him yet but I am going to try him on some Double Vision cows next time I breed them.

Latest posts