Down cow -- comments appreciated

Help Support Steer Planet:

debtramm

Found one of my best cows down in the field Wed. evening.  She is 4.5 years old and currently 8 months pregnant.  No fever, no obvious signs of any injury.
Eating and drinking very good.  She is bright and alert.    Has been on sterum and will scoot a little and turn from left to right side.  Had vet out, but nothing obvious to him either.
When I first found her, she would get up but could only take a few steps.  Seemed to have some type of issue with rear quarters . I did give calcium orally.  Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.  GM

cowman 52

What is her body condition? Fat , thin needs feed, or what?
Would start with propylene glycol, she needs energy and that will help, breath smells sour?  manure loose, tight or what?
Am thinking ketosis,  usually hits heavy bred, in a nutrition lacking energy and protein, they start taking from body muscle to live.
A shot of ban amine will make her feel better, the propylene will cause the guts to start working,  a sweet feed with a lot of molases wi help,
If in good shape, and heavy bred, may have a pinched nerve due to a big calf, if you are sure on breeding date, you may be able to induce labor and take some strain off.

knabe

Call a dairy. They may have a harness.  I lost a cow to this last year. Luckily got a heifer.

Got to get them up. The 8 mos is an added annoying factor. Ask your vet if any others are around with experience.

OKshorthorn

We had this happen a couple years ago. Notice a heavy bred cow down, we could get her up but only for a few minutes and down she would go again. After a few days she wouldn't get up at all. Ended up having to feed and water her for 2 weeks to get her to 14 days out of her due date. Tried to induce labor, that didn't work, and went ahead and had to do a c-section. Lost the cow but was lucky enough to get a heifer. Our vet's best guess was a stifle issue.

DL

Gator Mom said:
Found one of my best cows down in the field Wed. evening.  She is 4.5 years old and currently 8 months pregnant.  No fever, no obvious signs of any injury.
Eating and drinking very good.  She is bright and alert.    Has been on sterum and will scoot a little and turn from left to right side.  Had vet out, but nothing obvious to him either.
When I first found her, she would get up but could only take a few steps.  Seemed to have some type of issue with rear quarters . I did give calcium orally.   Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.  GM

Did your vet give you a plan?? ( he should have) Did he draw blood?? IMHO you need two things
1) a diagnosis - does the cow have an injury or a metabolic problem?? A good physical exam and some blood work can help you decide what the problem is - depending on the feed and mineral program she may have low energy calcium, magnesium, phosphorous, etc these things can be helped or corrected - what is her BCS - we have seen a pile of down pregnant cows from agroceryosis (lack of nutrition)

2) You need to get the cow up - the longer she stays down the more damage to muscles with leakage of things from the muscle into the blood stream (rhabdomyolysis) - this can result in further muscle damage as well as kidney failure - is there a float tank around? someone with a harness? close to a vet school with facilities to get the cow up and get a diagnosis

Call your vet back and tell him you need a diagnosis and a plan - good luck

debtramm

She is in very good body condition. Not too fat, not too thin.  We've had an over abundance of rain here in central FL and the pasture is the best in years. (she doesn't fit symptoms of tetany).
We did give her Banamine for several days and discontinued Saturday  -- she doesn't seem to be in distress or pain.
Nutritionally, she is on pasture and has  free choice trace minerals/salt .  Thank you for all of your input.  Will continue to try to get her up and see what we can do for her.

rackranch

Did the Vet perform a neurological examination on her?  Any signs of muscle atrophy or weakness? Does she seemes to be suffering from paresis of the hind limbs only or generalized systemic weakness?  I would also like to know what plan of action/treatment the Vet left you with.  Please keep us posted.

JimF

since you are in FL you probably know this better than I do, but I would suggest that it could well be a nutrition issue - you said that it had been a wet year and from folks that I have spoken to down there they tell me that even in normal years they need to ship their replacement heifers somewhere else to have them grown out for them as the lush grass, particularly in wet years, is all water and has almost zero nutritional value - the cattle will eat and eat but do not do well - they have big bloated middles but almost waste away - lots of parts of the country see issues with cattle not performing well on very lush grass and mention that they look forward to when they can get the cattle on "hard grass" with less water content -

leanbeef

The first things that come to mind are grass tetany or ketosis...both metabolic issues which I just think might be more likely than a pinched nerve or some other type of physical injury. Even though it's not the "normal" time of year to see grass tetany, but not much about this year has been "normal"! I too am wondering about the vet's lack of a diagnosis...is this an experienced vet? Has there been any follow up or continued conversation? What about a second opinion?

I think the most likely causes have been mentioned on here. I would add a recommendation that you change to a good, sound, COMPLETE mineral program in place of trace mineral salt which is exactly what it says..."TRACE" minerals, likely somewhere between 95 & 98% salt. Doesn't leave much room for required nutritional elements! Yes, a complete mineral costs more, because it's worth more. You don't have to buy the most expensive mineral on the market, but I think you'll see results from making that one change.

Will

We had a very similar situation a few years back.  We had the vet out and he did everything he could think of with no success.  Then we decided since we thought we were within one month of aclving we would just induce and get a bottle calf.  So the vet gave her a dose of dexomethezone and she had a calf.  we milk her out for two day to give the calf all of the colostrum.  On the third day which was going to be her last day when I went out in the morning she was up.  Our calf was not big but must have just been in the wrong position and pinching a nerve.

debtramm

Thank you all for your thoughts and comments.  We've already decided to change to a different mineral program - just in case and to be on the safer side and it's certainly worth the investment.  The cow seems a tad better and moved more yesterday  than in the past several days.  I've gotten several opinions but certainly do appreciate all of yours as well.  Assuming movement continues, I will hope that will be a sign of improvement - still doesn't seem to be in distress.  Will keep you posted.  Thanks again, your opinions really are appreciated.  GM

sackshowcattle

I would try to give a tube of cmpk gel seems to really give the down ones a boost. The most important thing is to get them up.  Since she has a calf I would see if the vet has a hip lift but it will be harder to lift a beef cow with it. I would lift her for a half hour twice a day minimum. Getting them up is important for circulation and also so their digestive tract to work right. Watch the cow close as long as shes trying and alert keep working at it. If she goes dull or wont try there isn't much hope. I had one down for 3 weeks after pulling a 85 pound tank of a calf. hip locked bad. She got up and had  sores on her legs from crawling around but we doctored them and ai bred her since we didn't want the bull to hurt her. She stuck and is perfectly fine now. I am a firm believer in its the shape of the calf not weight now on calving ease.

debtramm

Just thought I would give an update on my cow issue.  Noticed yesterday she had moved locations two times each about 65 feet.  At 5:30 am today, went to feed, water, etc. and low and behold --
she was standing and walking towards us for food.  Obviously there is still an issue because she couldn't hold out too long standing and did lay down again but we are certainly on the right track.
Having a better opportunity to observe her today, I think the vet is correct in his assessment that she has a spinal issue, i.e., pinched nerve or herniated disc.  So, we shall begin the banamine again
to give pain relief and reduce inflammation.  I am very hopeful that she is on the mend.  Will keep her confined to current paddock away from others until I feel she is out of the woods with this thing.
Thanks a bunch to all of you for your concern and info.  Will keep you posted as time goes by.  GM

rackranch

I would ask your Vet about using a Certified Animal Chiropractor.  Cow probably has a problem with the Obturator nerve to be more specific.  With your Vets approval, I would be more than happy to help you find one in your area.

Gator Mom said:
Just thought I would give an update on my cow issue.  Noticed yesterday she had moved locations two times each about 65 feet.  At 5:30 am today, went to feed, water, etc. and low and behold --
she was standing and walking towards us for food.  Obviously there is still an issue because she couldn't hold out too long standing and did lay down again but we are certainly on the right track.
Having a better opportunity to observe her today, I think the vet is correct in his assessment that she has a spinal issue, i.e., pinched nerve or herniated disc.  So, we shall begin the banamine again
to give pain relief and reduce inflammation.  I am very hopeful that she is on the mend.  Will keep her confined to current paddock away from others until I feel she is out of the woods with this thing.
Thanks a bunch to all of you for your concern and info.  Will keep you posted as time goes by.  GM

DL

Gator Mom said:

In addition to a chiropractor and perhaps accupuncture you might ask your vet about using Meloxicam vs Banamine - it is oral, provides good pain relief in cattle, and has a longer half life than Banamine - you might also ask him to rule out spinal lymphoma, abscess etc by doing some blood work and a good rectal exam....it is always good to have a diagnosis and a plan - glad she is up & good luck .