Dr. Who and Carnac?? CALVES?

Help Support Steer Planet:

Steer Boy 101

Im wonderng on how thease calvs look. i have heard some people talk about carnac frameing down cows. I have a med-small framed cow, should i be carful breeding her to him? also do people have strucural problem with dr who like who made who? how do calves look with both sires plese feel free to post picutes

kane1598

In my opinion, Dr. Who is the soundest clubby bull out.  Carnac throws some issues in front ends, there are some really straight ones.

Throttle

The pic is a Dr. Who heifer that I have for sale over in the classifieds. My experience with Dr. Who is that they'll be fairly sound, but I did have one get a little straight fronted this year on a cow that has had sound ones by Heatseeker, Cheap Trick, and Angus sires. He sold OK and will work, just not totally faultless on his front legs/shoulder angle. I haven't had a bunch of em, but I'd say he won't downsize any, if anything maybe adding a slight bit of frame at our place.

Have only had a handful of Carnacs. Sizewise, my thinking is that they will pretty closely follow the cow. Probably bigger framed more consistently than Heatwave at my place. As far as soudness, he has a pretty bad rep, but ours haven't been any different than the Heatwaves or his other sons. Some are sound, some aren't, on a variety of cows. IMO, thats just the way it goes when you breed for those extremes. Just watch the genetic defects (TH especially here) and hope for the best

Attachments

• 126 BR.jpg
    126 BR.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 497

farmboy

next year were breeding all of our cows to 2 bulls, dr who and sunseeekr. these two bulls IMO have been the most consistent in the last 2 years and can say they are siring winners left and right, especially dr who heifers  ;)

Steer Boy 101

thank you. Just to clear things up your sayign you have heard that carnac isnt always the soundes

bcosu

i think that is what they are saying. but noone is saying that you are going to get a structural nightmare everytime you breed a cow to him. just that if a cow tends to throw crippled calves, don't breed them to carnac. i've always been a little partial to him and i have a carnac x angus heifer that is totally sound and doesn't have problems walking at all. it just depends on what kind of cows you are breeding to.

justme

I seen some gorgeous Carnac heifers and steers out at Major's this summer.  I just didn't want any Heatwave influenced heifers in my heard and wanted high percentage maines, only reasons I didn't bring some home.
I'm a little sour on Dr. Who...only had a few experiences with his calves, and one was a doosie.  Seems like they can be pretty high strung.