Dr. Who

Help Support Steer Planet:

maineman101

Can anyone tell me the going price for sexed heifer Dr.Who and how well the conception rate is?

HGC

They only put up a little bit of 5 million sexed Dr. Who semen.  Back then they sold it for $350/straw.  I don't think Habager has any anymore.  I did see one unit sell online about a year ago.  I think it brought about $500.

AAOK

Cattle Visions shows Dr. Who available at $25.  Maybe they never update the website!

BroncoFan

We own a cow that was originally bred by Gib Yardley. This cow has never had a bad calf.  All but one of her bull calves remained a bull and all her heifers have never left the place.  We are thinking of flushing her to Dr. Who sexed semen.  Luckily we have some in the tank.  We are pretty excited about it because the Yardley's raise great females and with Dr. Who also they will make great replacement females.  This cow milked so much this spring that she raised her calf and fed 7 bum lambs for a while.  She had to be milked once a day until her calf could keep her sucked down.  It isn't the fact that she is a heavy milker that we like her so much.  She always throws a big hip, stout bone, big top and great front in her calves and they all stay sound.  Before we bought her she got flushed to Monopoly and every calf we saw was a good calf.

Telos

If you cannot find semen you might want to consider one of his sons or maybe a bull with one of his daughters in the pedigree. He has definitely outproduced himself. I think some of his best daughter's were out of Derouchey's Tykia F1 cows. Both Mercedes Benz and I-80 go back to those cows and I really believe they have already proved their worth. I would also look into one of the two full brothers that won the recent NAILE Maine show. They go back to Dr. Who on both the top and bottom of their pedigree which make them slightly line bred. Both bulls looked super and there is semen available on the older bull (Daddys Money) which was Grand. Sexed semen might be in question.

hedgesjp1985

ive seen all over that dr who is a calving ease sire what have been everyones experience with him in that respect and what kind of cows does he work best on?  I have a grizzly I thought about using him on she is due in february to I80 for her first calf so does anyone think that birth weight would be an issue using dr who on a 2nd calver

CAB

We used Dr. Who on 1st calf heifers one year. I'll never use him on 1st calf heifers again. I personally think he matches up best with Angus sired cows. The first thing that I always look at when it's a Dr. Who calf is back leg structure. I had a semen rep tell me one time that I would get more heifer calves out of conventional semen than I would get out of sexed semen. Had a friend flush a cow last week with sexed semen, he got zero fert. out of 24 eggs.

sizzler14

Just curious. Couldn't you buy 5 or 10 straws of conventional Dr. Who and send it to Trans Ova and have them sex it for you? I clipped a promotional bull here in the east and I remember the guy who owned him wanted sexed semen and the guy collecting the bull said he didn't do it but he sent it away ( I believe he said trans ova, but don't quote me) and it cost like $50/straw to sex semen for AI and $100/or so a straw for flush quality. All this is hear say, so like I said, don't quote me

Carlson Cattle

Sizzler14 said:
Just curious. Couldn't you buy 5 or 10 straws of conventional Dr. Who and send it to Trans Ova and have them sex it for you? I clipped a promotional bull here in the east and I remember the guy who owned him wanted sexed semen and the guy collecting the bull said he didn't do it but he sent it away ( I believe he said trans ova, but don't quote me) and it cost like $50/straw to sex semen for AI and $100/or so a straw for flush quality. All this is hear say, so like I said, don't quote me

wow ive never heard of anyone doing this before

Telos

CAB said:
We used Dr. Who on 1st calf heifers one year. I'll never use him on 1st calf heifers again. I personally think he matches up best with Angus sired cows. The first thing that I always look at when it's a Dr. Who calf is back leg structure. I had a semen rep tell me one time that I would get more heifer calves out of conventional semen than I would get out of sexed semen. Had a friend flush a cow last week with sexed semen, he got zero fert. out of 24 eggs.

CAB- I totally agree. I think he works best with at least an Angus cross. Offspring can get over cooked in a hurry and I've seen SP. You not only need a loose structured cow but you also should be careful and stay away from genetics that are known for being too steep in design. He's a notch stouter then his sire and probably should be used the same way. Friends often have told me they use WMW on there ugliest cows. Usually slack framed Simmi- Angus.