Draxxin, Micotil, Nuflor

Help Support Steer Planet:

Mueller Show Cattle

I had two steers that got what the vet called dust pneumonia this past weekend and just wanted to ask if any of these medications are better than the other. We have had a really dry summer and fall and the vet believed they had dust pneumonia from all the dust around. But the steer had really thick mucus coming out their nose making it difficult for them to breath, had drooped ears and had a loss of appetite to eating. It was the weekend and did not want to call the vet out so I talked with a local cattle rancher who gave me 2 doses of 15CC Nuflor that I gave in the neck. Then I talked with my vet Monday after the steers looked 100% better, my vet said it was a very good call to give them the Nuflor, plus this rancher uses this vet and got the Nuflor from this vet for respiratory problems. My question, does any of these drugs work better than the others for respiratory problems. My vet said to be watching all my cattle this fall and winter as he has seen a huge increase of this what he called dust pneumonia. I don't know if the Nuflor requires a prescription or not cause no stores carry it around here, do all 3 of these require prescriptions? I'm sure my vet would give me a small bottle of this if I wanted but wanted to see if any worked better than the other. The only thing I did not like about the Nuflor was a large amount to inject, thought 15 cc was a lot to inject, is less needed of Draxxin or Micotil? Have heard good things about all and the Nuflor picked up them steers by the next day. I seen DL posting on these on a different post and figured I would ask to know as the vet advised to watch for these this fall and winter and want to get a bottle of one of these to have on hand in case even if I have to ask the vet for it if a prescription is needed. Penicillin you can buy over the counter here but don't know about the others and don't even know if penicillin works for respiratory infections.

chambero

I've used all three.  All three require a prescription, but I keep one of them on hand at all times.

Nuflor - works great on respiratory and footrot.  Only drawback is the large dose.  Its what I use the most of because I rarely have to doctor anything but calves.  Actually, I use a variant called Resflor Gold because it has the active ing. of banamine in it also.  This stuff is very thick and would be a problem in real cold weather.

Micotil is low dose and works great but is dangerous.  I actually killed a calf with it once by inadvertently getting it in a vein (I guess).  Calf was feeling poorly, I gave it a shot, a couple of minutes later it was down and in five minutes it was dead.  Last time I used it, but prior I used it for years with great success.

I only used Draxxin once.  It worked ok, but Ive heard people swear by it.

My vet tries to get me to use another low dose antibiotic called Exceed now, but you give it in the ear.  Jury is stil out for me.

heatherleblanc

Draxxin is really expensive.  We use it mainly for new animals that we've bought coming in as a precautionary vaccine, it kills any shipping fever or bugs they may be bringing in.  It's kind of an all-around one thing fixes all.  All the big feedlots around here give it to the calves coming in too.

KSanburg

We like Nuflor and it is a gram +/- med. last year we backed it up with a dose of Penn G and had good luck on dust pneumonia.  We also have good luck with Naxcel.

cowpoke

Big M Show Cattle said:
I had two steers that got what the vet called dust pneumonia this past weekend and just wanted to ask if any of these medications are better than the other. We have had a really dry summer and fall and the vet believed they had dust pneumonia from all the dust around. But the steer had really thick mucus coming out their nose making it difficult for them to breath, had drooped ears and had a loss of appetite to eating. It was the weekend and did not want to call the vet out so I talked with a local cattle rancher who gave me 2 doses of 15CC Nuflor that I gave in the neck. Then I talked with my vet Monday after the steers looked 100% better, my vet said it was a very good call to give them the Nuflor, plus this rancher uses this vet and got the Nuflor from this vet for respiratory problems. My question, does any of these drugs work better than the others for respiratory problems. My vet said to be watching all my cattle this fall and winter as he has seen a huge increase of this what he called dust pneumonia. I don't know if the Nuflor requires a prescription or not cause no stores carry it around here, do all 3 of these require prescriptions? I'm sure my vet would give me a small bottle of this if I wanted but wanted to see if any worked better than the other. The only thing I did not like about the Nuflor was a large amount to inject, thought 15 cc was a lot to inject, is less needed of Draxxin or Micotil? Have heard good things about all and the Nuflor picked up them steers by the next day. I seen DL posting on these on a different post and figured I would ask to know as the vet advised to watch for these this fall and winter and want to get a bottle of one of these to have on hand in case even if I have to ask the vet for it if a prescription is needed. Penicillin you can buy over the counter here but don't know about the others and don't even know if penicillin works for respiratory infections.

CMB

Draxxin is usually around $4 per mL, Nuflor $0.65 per mL but you use a lot less Draxxin if you're concerned about large dose amounts. Dosage is 1.1 mL/100 lbs. body weight for Draxxin and Nuflor is 6 mL per 100 lbs body weight. I have had no experience with Micotil. We use Draxxin on all new hogs coming in the barn in the spring. We have also used it on calves with great success. I've used both Draxxin and Nuflor with good results. I like to give as few shots as possible so Draxxin is almost always my first choice.

cowpoke

All three are excellent.Micotil we dont keep around due the danger that can happen in inexperienced hands.After many years of being around cattle it is best to treat early when there are hardly any symptons as to wait.The Vets we rely on are glad to help if we have a problem and are glad to give us advise if we dont know.An ear down or lack of appetite are easy signs and an experienced eye can tell before that.

DL

Draxxin, Micotil, Nuflor - all three require a prescription - all 3 are labeled for respiratory disease (ie pneumonia). It is my understanding they were developed specifically for livestock (ie unlike some other drugs which were human drugs then used in livestock)

Draxxin (Tulathromycin) and Micotil (Tilmicosin) are related - they are both macrolide antibiotics and have similar spectrums (ie the go after the same bugs). Both these drugs are given under the skin (sub q)

Draxxin is labeled for prevention and treatment of bovine resp disease, foot rot and pink eye. Draxxin is long acting so one dose will last at least 7 days and maybe 14. It is low volume (ie small amount per pound per treatment). The meat with hold is 18 days and it is not labeled for lactating dairy cows or veal.

Nuflor (Florfenicol) has an interesting history as it is related to chloramphenicol - a human drug that is prohibited for use in cattle because it causes aplastic anemia in people which can be fatal and is unrelated to the dose. Nulor involves substitution of a fluorine for a chlorine - is a broad spectrum antibiotic and is approved for use to prevent or treat resp disease and foot rot. The dosage is more volume per pound that Draxxin and can be given either once sub q or twice in the muscle 48 hours apart. It is not approved for use in veal calves or lactating dairy cows. Meat withdrawal is 28 days of the last intramuscular treatment and  38 days of subcutaneous treatment - this assumes that you follow the label in dosing.

It is generally considered that all 3 drugs are bacteriostatic (ie it doesn't kill the bug - it affects the bug and then waits for the immune system to kill it) - although in some instances they is bacteriocidal (kills bugs)

The primary respiratory bacterial pathogens are Mannheimia haemolytica, Pasteurella multocida,
Histophilus somni, and Mycoplasma bovis; Draxxin has demonstrated activity against all 4 in the laboratory (and therefore approval on the label), Nuflor does not have demonstrated activity against Mycplasma bovis.

Bottom line -
1) I do not use or prescribe Micotil because of danger to humans and the fact that Draxxin is as good or better a drug - while it can be useful in control situations with well trained staff (ie some feed yards) it is not (IMHO) a good choice for people with kids, small operations, poor facilities (ie giving injections in grooming chutes) etc

2) With the exception of Mycoplasma bovis the 3 drugs have pretty much the same spectrum of activity

3) The upfront cost to the vet and you for a bottle of Draxxin is significantly more than that of Nuflor

4) The small volume of Draxxin compared to Nuflor can be a bonus in many situations

5) The shorter withhold for Draxxin can be important in some situations

6) If you have a good relationship with your vet and the ability to get a dose of Draxxin when you need it and you have a small herd (therefore not expecting to use 100 ml of Draxxin before the expiration date) but you want to have antibiotics on hand I would ask your vet for a bottle of Nuflor. If you have a larger operation and money on hand I would ask your vet to prescribe a bottle of Draxxin.

7) Although both Penicillin and Tetracycline (LA 200) have their place in cattle medicine - it is limited and in general they are pi** poor for the treatment of respiratory disease in cattle - their cavalier use (because they are OTC) has been responsible in part for resistance of many bugs to these drugs

8) and finally if you have a case of pneumonia that does not respond to either Nuflor or Draxxin you need to consider that perhaps something else is going on -

9) hope that helps Big M

Pleasant Grove Farms

DL, would you address the problem in Nuflor of killing the appetite?
We used Nuflor way back when it came out and it seemed like it really killed
the appetite of the animal we treated which is opposite of what you want of
course.

We love Draxxin; $400/bottle, doesn't matter.
You get what you pay for.
When you begin to figure out what a sick animal costs you in loss of gain,
maybe that you try something else first and prolong the illness, when maybe
you have a dead animal if you give something else first, it is a good
investment.

DL

Pleasant Grove Farms said:
DL, would you address the problem in Nuflor of killing the appetite?
We used Nuflor way back when it came out and it seemed like it really killed
the appetite of the animal we treated which is opposite of what you want of
course.

We love Draxxin; $400/bottle, doesn't matter.
You get what you pay for.
When you begin to figure out what a sick animal costs you in loss of gain,
maybe that you try something else first and prolong the illness, when maybe
you have a dead animal if you give something else first, it is a good
investment.

PGF - I can try :)

Nuflor lists decreased both food and water intake as a side effect in some animals - as I recall Draxxin does not. With Nuflor it appears that this increases with increasing doses (in some animals). I am not sure of the mechanism but in humans there is some belief that it is a central effect (ie the effect of antibiotics on the appetite and sense of nausea is related to some influence of the antibiotic on the brain not directly on the stomach) - although I am sure it has not been studied it could play a role in cattle. The other possibility is that any antibiotic given systemically will have access to the entire body - thus Nuflor could kill off some rumen bugs and affect appetite that way. All antibiotics have the potential to kill off rumen bugs so giving a probiotic with antibiotics, especially if they are used long term, is never a bad idea.

BTW Naxcel, Excenel and Exceed are all basically the same drug with different formulation. These drugs are all cephalosporins (related to the human drug Keflex and Keflin as well as bunches of others). Because the cephalosporins are used a lot in human medicine the FDA is really really cracking down on their use, doing a lot more slaughter surveillance and checking - it is now ILLEGAL to use them IN CATTLE (even under ELDU and AMDUCA) UNLESS YOU EXACTLY FOLLOW THE DOSE, ROUTE, AND DURATION OF USE -

So this is the dosage info for Naxcel Dosage is 0.5-1.0 mg/lb (1-2 mL reconstituted sterile solution per 100 lb body weight). Treatment should be repeated at 24 hour intervals for a total of 3 consecutive days. May also be used on days 4 and 5 for animals that do not show a satisfactory response (recovery) after the initial 3 treatments. It is illegal to increase to dose - say to 3 ml/100 lbs, to repeat the dose in less than 24 hours or to treat the animal for more than 5 days.

The cephalosporins are used quite a bit in dairy as they have short milk and meat withdrawal and are approved for use in lactating dairy cows (Nuflor, Draxxin and Micotil are not).

The Excede label says it is to be injected at the posterior aspect of the ear in dairy cattle or the posterior aspect of the ear of middle third in beef cattle - because of the formulation (I believe it is oil based) it has a long period of activity with zero milk withhold and 13 day slaughter withhold. HOWEVER --- inadvertent injection into a blood vessel (and we all know there are a bunch of them in the ear) CAN BE FATAL!! Also do not give this drug sub q or in the muscle because the withdrawal may be huge and has not been determined

Because of human use, the potential for resistance and the restrictions in place on the cephalosporins and because there are several other good drugs that can be used in beef cattle these drugs are not on my favorite list

Mueller Show Cattle

That helps very much DL and I appreciate it. We have a small operation 25 head of club calf cows, so I might have 50 head when I have the calves still around. The rancher that I live close to that gave me the Nuflor has 500-600 head, so he has a big operation and says he has Nuflor at all times. I know my vet likes Nuflor, said he likes it because it works well and is safer for people to have around. It would be nice to give a lower amount in the injection, but I guess I can deal with that cause it did work very well on my 2 steers. But both steer calves are both approximately 500 lbs and gave them both 15 CC IM injections in their neck and then it says 6 CC per per 100lbs SQ. It says to follow up with a 2nd injection that I did not for IM, makes sense why my vet told me to give them a 2nd injection when I told him, never had a chance to get by his office and get any from him. Luckily this was last weekend and the 2 steers look fine and are eating very well and pepped up. I use my squeeze chute to give injections. But thanks again for all the posts, very good information and wanted to know cause like Chambero said I would like to have some on hand just encase cause sometimes if my vet is out on a ranch, he could be awhile plus my vet says he likes to treat at the beginning signs then to take a chance where it could get bad and have a really sick steer/cow.

Mueller Show Cattle

DL, I just noticed that there must be a difference in Nuflor and Nuflor Gold, cause after reading their labels online, it says for Nuflor, Not for use in cattle of breeding age, so that would mean any of my cows should not have Nuflor, but reading the label of Nuflor Gold, it would be OK for my cows cause it just says, Do not use in female dairy cattle 20 months of age or older, or in calves to be processed for veal. So I could give to my cows if needed, so the Nuflor Gold would be better to have on hand, it says to only give by 6CC per 100lbs SQ. Glad I read the labels of the 2 because I have more cows than anything, wonder why there is a difference in the two as far as the gold you can give to breeding beef cattle and the regular it says not to, cause at least I know to ask the vet for the Nuflor gold.

RidinHeifer

I asked my vet about that after I had given it to some ewe lambs.  He said he didn't even know about that, but looked at it and said it wouldn't be an issue.  They all grew out and became great momma ewes. Only have nuflor gold in the clinic now.  Personally, I think it works better than the old nuflor. 

DL

Big M - Ah the sticky wicket of drug regulations in animals we raise for food --- Nuflor and Nuflor Gold are exactly the same drug - ie they have exactly the same chemical composition but the label for Nuflor Gold includes Mycoplasma bovis and use only sub q and a different slaughter with hold (ah the spin - gotta love it). The way it works (more or less) is that companies have to prove that what they want to put on their label for indications really works - so they have to spend time and money and do studies to prove that florfenicol also goes after the Mycoplasma bovis bug - they could have just added that to the label of Nuflor but choose to do it differently - so technically (and by the letter of the law) if you though you were treating Mycoplasma you should use Nuflor Gold not Nuflor but sometimes these regulations seem flipping insane  :eek: :eek: :eek: So my read is same drug, same dose (sub q), different indications and different sub q withdrawal -----

NUFLOR GOLD:  An injectable solution of the synthetic antibiotic florfenicol (300 mg/mL). Also contains, 2-pyrrolidone 300 mg/mL and triacetin q.s. It is indicated for treatment of bovine respiratory disease (BRD) associated with Mannheimia haemolytica, Pasteurella multocida, Histophilus somni, and Mycoplasma bovis in beef and non-lactating dairy cattle. Do not use in female dairy cattle 20 months or older, or in calves to be processed for veal. Administer SQ only in the neck. Meat withdrawal: 44 days.

NUFLOR Injectable Solution is a solution of the synthetic antibiotic florfenicol. Each milliliter of sterile NUFLOR Injectable Solution contains 300 mg of florfenicol, 250 mg n-methyl-2-pyrrolidone, 150 mg propylene glycol, and polyethylene glycol qs.

INDICATIONS NUFLOR Injectable Solution is indicated for treatment of bovine respiratory disease (BRD) associated with Mannheimia haemolytica, Pasteurella multocida, and Histophilus somni, and for the treatment of bovine interdigital phlegmon (foot rot, acute interdigital necrobacillosis, infectious pododermatitis) associated with Fusobacterium necrophorum and Bacteroides melaninogenicus. Also, it is indicated for the control of respiratory disease in cattle at high risk of developing BRD associated with Mannheimia haemolytica, Pasteurella multocida, and Histophilus somni. For intramuscular and subcutaneous use in beef and non-lactating dairy cattle only. Not for use in female dairy cattle 20 months of age or older or in calves to be processed for veal. Animals intended for human consumption must not be slaughtered within 28 days of the last intramuscular treatment. Animals intended for human consumption must not be slaughtered within 38 days of subcutaneous treatment.

My read of the Nuflors and Draxxin is that under precautions they say something like "The effects of DRAXXIN on bovine reproductive performance, pregnancy, and lactation have not been determined." or for Nuflor "PRECAUTIONS: Not for use in animals intended for breeding purposes. The effects of florfenicol on bovine reproductive performance, pregnancy, and lactation have not been determined. Toxicity studies in dogs, rats, and mice have associated the use of florfenicol with testicular degeneration and atrophy. " or NUFLOR GOLD: "PRECAUTIONS: Not for use in animals intended for breeding purposes. The effects of florfenicol on bovine reproductive performance, pregnancy, and lactation have not been determined. Toxicity studies in dogs, rats, and mice have associated the use of florfenicol with testicular degeneration and atrophy."

I think these are CYA statements as all 3 drugs are approved for use in adult beef cows but no one wants to spend the time or money to determine the effect of the drug on pregnancy, lactation or conception rate, so they state under PRECAUTIONS that the effect of the drug on pregnancy and conception rate and lactation is unknown - given the effect on Nuflor on the testicles of dogs, rats and mice I would be inclined not to use it in breeding bulls unless it was the only option.

I think with all things you weigh the risks and benefits - certainly pregnant cows have been treated with these drugs without incident and treating them and then having an issue does not mean the drug caused the issue. I would not hesitate to treat a pregnant cow with pneumonia with Draxxin - my hesitation with Nuflor or Nuflor Gold would be related to the volume of the drug needed not the drug itself ie
Draxxin for a 1500 lb cow = 17 cc (2 injections each about 8.5 cc)
Nuflor for a 1500 lb cow 90 cc (do not give more than 10 cc per site - that is NINE sites, NINE injections aghhh
:eek: :eek: :eek:

LazyGLowlines

Have used  Draxxin for 3-4 years- works great!!! Give newborn calves 1/2 cc when it's 30-40 degrees and raining and they do great.  Also use it for pinkeye with great success. Use it when shipping calves or cows to prevent shipping fever. Really like the small dosage. Used Nuflor once, gave it (SQ) to a  preg cow (7 months) and she aborted within a day! Last time I used it- still have a full bottle. With that dosage might as well use LA200!

DL

Freddy said:
Very interesting and educational post ,have had experience with most of these drugs and to my knowledge no one mentioned Baytril ,is there any info on it ....

Freddy - ask and ye shall :)

Baytril is in a different class of antibiotics than any of the other drugs we have discussed - it is broad spectrum and bactericidal and is a  fluoroquinolone -  fluoroquinolone are drugs used in serious and life threatening infections in humans - hence there is some concern about resistance and using them in livestock

It is approved for use in beef cattle, non lactating dairy cows and swine for treatment of respiratory disease caused by the big 4 bacteria Mannheimia haemolytica, Pasteurella multocida, Histophilus somni, and Mycoplasma bovis. THE EXTRALABEL USE OF BAYTRIL IS PROHIBITED IN FOOD ANIMALS https://www.avma.org/KB/Resources/Reference/Pages/AMDUCA.aspx

This means that if you use it for anything other than respiratory disease you are breaking the law

It has (IMHO) a rather weird dosing protocol - use it once sub q at a dose of 3.4-5.7 mL/100 lb or daily at 1.1-2.3 mL/100 lb. Treatment should be repeated at 24-hour intervals for three days. Additional treatments may be given on Days 4 and 5 to animals that have shown clinical improvement but not total recovery.

There are other drugs (IMHO) that offer advantages in smaller volume per dose and longer activity with the same of broader spectrum - it is not a drug I use

ridinheifer - just goes to show that perception is not always reality Nuflor and Nuflor Gold are the same drug with a different label

gary89

Freddy said:
Very interesting and educational post ,have had experience with most of these drugs and to my knowledge no one mentioned Baytril ,is there any info on it ....

Most of my usage is on the swine side of things, but we have researched Baytril vs Draxxin pretty thoroughly, and we use very little Draxxin. Baytril is very affective when dealing with respiratory issues in pigs. Haven't had to use for my calves, but have used Nuflor in the past with good success.