Draxxin substitute help

Help Support Steer Planet:

yuppiecowboy

I have a half a dozen calves I weaned coughing and snotting to beat the band this morning. Hot humid days, cool nights screams pneumonia to me.

I am out of Draxxin and since it is Sunday cant get my hands on any. However I do have Combi-pen 48 on hand.

will this suffice or do I need to start waking everyone I know up begging for Mycotil/Draxxin/Nuflor

Show Heifer

I personally do not like to treat BEFORE the problem arises.  I do use medicated feed. I guess I feel that if the calves are healthy and have a strong immune system they do not need any injectable antibiotic. So, use medicated feed, and keep a close eye on them and treat them only if they get sick.

That being said, Pen 48 will be worthless. (But so will Draxxin etc, if the animal does not get infected with the bug at the right time!!)

I forgot to add that using antibiotics BEFORE needed might lead  to antibiotic resistant bugs. I feel that is true.
So beware!

yuppiecowboy

Thank you both for your quick responses confirming my suspicions that I would be further ahead shooting myself with combipen than the calves.

I assure you showheifer your words are not unheaded. I can also assure you I have full blown BRV in at least 4. I found a bottle of Draxxin and I most certainly will be temping before injecting. As expensive as Draxxin is using it in a futile effort is not something I wish to do.

Thank you both

Show Heifer

Totally changes my opinion if you have BRV in the herd!! Glad you found Draxxin. I agree it is a good drug!!

Hope the weather cooperates and your calves turn around!!

knabe

Show Heifer said:
I personally do not like to treat BEFORE the problem arises.  I do use medicated feed. I guess I feel that if the calves are healthy and have a strong immune system they do not need any injectable antibiotic. So, use medicated feed, and keep a close eye on them and treat them only if they get sick.

That being said, Pen 48 will be worthless. (But so will Draxxin etc, if the animal does not get infected with the bug at the right time!!)

I forgot to add that using antibiotics BEFORE needed might lead  to antibiotic resistant bugs. I feel that is true.
So beware!

isn't feeding medicated feed using antibiotics before needed?

Show Heifer

Good point, but it is at a preventative level, not a treatment level.  I can't quote the research, but supposedly the low level prevents illness, but also does not allow "bugs" to develope resistance....maybe that is wrong.
Plus no  injection residue and injection site trim.

chambero

We feed medicated mineral at certain, stressful times of year - like right now in the heat and in the worst part of winter.  I'm sure it probably does contribute to long term resistance of bugs, but honestly we can't afford to worry about it - at least not yet.

We feed it right now to keep down foot rot in cows and we think it might help lessen the chances of infections following calving.  We feed it in the winter, especially right before and after cutting, to help avoid respiratory and other infections while we are waiting for our vaccinations to kick in.

Along the same lines, I can understand why some feedlots and people go ahead and pretreat calves coming in with antibiotics when you know full well they are going to get sick.  But our buyers demand a pretty rigorous vaccination program which we are able to do.  But in years past when we didn't do it our calves would have problems when they went in to a dirty, wet environment which is completely foreign to what we developed them in.