Dream On deceased

Help Support Steer Planet:

rtm

Just recieved word from ABS, Dream On has passed away. Price of semen has been raised to $100/straw.

coachmac

Wow, always hate to hear the passing of an industry giant!  So who will be the replacement?  There are enough of his sons out there! 

husker1

He's sure in the argument of the "greatest of all time" in the simmental breed. 

rtm

I don't think he had been producing much as of late. The only semen ABS has is of choice quality, and not very much as I've been told.

coachmac

Overrated.... not sure, but I do know that he has put some good ones on the ground and that would be hard for anyone to deny.  He has sired some great ones, but so have a lot of other bulls.  What always amazed me was the sheer volume in numbers of calves sired by DO.  The only thing that remotely bothered me about using him was the fact that I felt like I was jumping on the bandwagon.  It is hard, at times, to find bloodlines that don't have him in them and for the breed that can be a tough situation to be in.  But... he put a stamp on the Simmies that will be obvious for many years to come.  

JWW

all is true---- heard from the ABS rep just a sec ago

FYI- In Dew Time is probably going to replace him, being homo black, amigo will also get some looks

so when is the Dream On clone going to come out??  ( ;D

JWW

coachmac

We just covered a heifer with Amigo.  Hopefully she sticks and in nine months .... we'll see! 

Bulldaddy

If not over rated then over used.  I think the In Dew Time calves are more consistant.  I have some embryos left out of Dream On and HSF Cissy (she is my avator photo) if any one is interested.  We got 32 out of one flush!

coachmac

Overused I would buy into!  32 in a flush.... wow.  I know a family that has come to expect around 1/8 of that number per flush on one of their donors. 

nck21

We have a Dream On son as a herd sire. Very functional, calves aren't real showy but he's used for our commercial herd and on Angus cows.

FutureBreeder2013

coachmac said:
Wow, always hate to hear the passing of an industry giant!  So who will be the replacement?  There are enough of his sons out there! 

Im sure there are plenty of sons with the potential to take his place but hopfully theres a new line that takes over.

jbh

JWW said:
all is true---- heard from the ABS rep just a sec ago

FYI- In Dew Time is probably going to replace him, being homo black, amigo will also get some looks

so when is the Dream On clone going to come out??   ( ;D

JWW

I would venture to say......NEVER!  ABS's parent company does NOT LIKE CLONING!.......and you know what.....I'm not sure I do ANYMORE either??!!!  If we haven't been able to raise a better one, by the time it takes a clone to be processed into production.....we're probably NOT doing our job as breeders. There ARE those that DO....BUT....VERY FEW ever work out the way you assume they would!

What do you think of that statement??? lol

LN

I agree with In Dew Time being a replacement to Dream On. I had some ASA reps at my ranch last week and we were just discussing the uniformity and consistency of the IDT calves. Granted he may not have the best calf in a crop, but he doesn't sire a bad one either, which I think is more important.

JWW

jbh - just playing devils advocate  ;D  , i am not a big fan of the cloning deal either.

agreed the IDT are very consistent probably going to order 20 more units this year, probably going to get some Amigo too- saw him win at iowa state fair and Denver and he looked awsome both times.

did anyone see Scott Cowger's IDT pen bulls at Denver? probably one of the most consistent simmi groups there. i know they we were full sibs but nethertheless-- peas in a pod.

JWW

ai er

Brad, I'm on the fence with cloning.  I agree that no genetic improvement is made if we keep cloning.  But, then I think, maybe this bull hasn't been mated to the right cow yet.  He died before he could produce a son better than himself.  The generation interval is too darn long with cattle!!  Then again, just look at all the semen people seem to have in their tanks after a bull dies.  I guess we could just use that to "produce" a son better than himself.