Drinking water at shows

Help Support Steer Planet:

siggyl67

We are having trouble getting our calves to drink at shows.  Especially right before going into the show ring.  Any suggestions? ???

showstick09

Have your calves practice drinking out of buckets at home to get them used to it. And you could maybe put some koolaide in the water to give it a sweet smell to make the calve interested in it.

redsimms

Try to make sure the water isn't ice cold from the tap. Let it sit in the bucket for a while to let it warm up a bit may help. Have also heard of people putting strawberry jello powder in the water to cover up any chlorine smell and make it all taste the same. You could also try an inline water filter (I think sullivan's has one) it will take some of the minerals and other stuff out of the water that may make it smell or taster differently than at home...
And definately practice at home as much as possible.

KMJCC

We might give our calves a little water in the morning if we don't show until later in the day but we usually don't water on show days until we take them out of the chute to head to the make up ring.  You can have someone watch and see it fill out.  You don't want to get it to full though.  Plus all the other tips that are in the previous posts also help.

CM Cattle

The cheapest way i think is to put dried molasis in there water a week or to before the show, then they should be used to it by show day. (thumbsup)

SlickTxMaine

We usually bring water from home.   Of course this would be difficult if you have several head or are there for several days.  We also pull the trough out of the pen a week before the show and have them drink only out of buckets we will use at the show.  We also give no water the day of the show, then feed and water just before show time.  Someone told me if the animal won't drink you can pour water from one bucket into another in front of them and the sound and sight of the water will encourage them to drink.....don't know if it works, but worth a try.  

Weaverv3

Two words-Kool Aid..okay maybe three, Grape Kool-Aid. My calves LOVE IT. It takes out the taste of the chorline,and it is extreamely cheap.

justintime

Kool-Aid or Gatorade both work pretty well, unless the water is really skunky. Also if it just a chlorine smell that bothers them, fill a couple pails and let it sit for a few hours. Much of the chlorine will evaporate and it may reduce it to where the animal will drink.

bjkoller

We use Gatorade cause it's almost always in the cooler in tack area... also instead of  spending so much for a Sullivan filter, we go to WalMart in the RV section and get a bigger filter that lasts longer for about $15!  Works the same if not better and definetely lasts longer....

DFSC

Weaverv3 said:
Two words-Kool Aid..okay maybe three, Grape Kool-Aid. My calves LOVE IT. It takes out the taste of the chorline,and it is extreamely cheap.

I agree! We always started the cattle on kool-aid a week before the shows. Then when your at the shows just add the kool-aid and they should have no trouble drinking the water :) Watch the color because it can tend to stain. Good luck!

[cowgirl_up_47

I had a calf once that would only drink her water if I put Pepsi in it. It should work the same as Kool-Aid or Gatorade, but you shouldn't have to worry about staining. Plus, it was easiest to get at the time (vending machine on the other side of the barn).

AAOK

When we were stupid beginners, and listened to all the "experts", we were almost tossed out of our County Show for putting 7Up in our calves' water.  Make sure to read your rules very closely.  Many shows have a wording that a calf cannot be fed anything "not Normally" consumed by said animal.  This would include, KoolAid, Gator Aid, etc.

Our barn has always been supplied by City Water which was chlorinated.  We always kept some Chlorine tablets in the showbox, and added to any water that was not already chlorinated.  The best suggestion is to have your calves used to drinking out of a bucket.  Once a calf has gone to 5-10 shows, you usually don't have to worry about a thing. 

siggyl67

Thanks for all of the useful information.  We will try out a few to see what works the best.  We have a Sullivan's filter, but maybe it needs replaced.