Drug Testing

Help Support Steer Planet:

NHR

Ok, our county show has decided to get tough this coming year and will drug test all Grand and Reserves including non-terminal and non-sale animals which is another issue. During a mtg last night it was discussed that medicated show feeds might give a positive drug test. Has anybody ran into in the past. The drug testing will be done by Texas A&M. The show committee stated that any animal that has any positive test for any type of drug or substance will be disqualified and the exhibitor banned. Now this sounds crazy to hold this stance towards registered breeding animals that do not sale and our not terminal for the show. I do understand testing for illegal substances that are not approved for animal use.

I know almost all show feeds have medication in them. We use Evergreen First Rate Show feeds which is medicated with Gainpro (bambermycins). I have a call into Evergreen Mills concerning.

Has anybody on here ever ran into medicated feeds causung a positive test result? :)))

ROAD WARRIOR

If they are only testing for illegal drugs you should be fine with your evergreen feeds. They only use legal medications at legal rates in their feeds. If they are testing for any drugs of any kind it seems to me that it would force everyone to "go organic" or all natural. There is a lot of difference between testing for all drugs or testing for illegal drugs.

NHR

They said they were testing for all drugs including legal approved drugs. I know the FDA has approved Bambermycins (Gainpro) at 10 to 20 mg. bambermycins/head/day in 1 to 10 lbs. of supplement. But I dont know if this will show up in the test.

ai er

Ohio tests a lot.  If you are feeding a medicated feed, you better look at the witdrawl (if any), and abide by that.  Show day is considered slaughter day here.