dry ageing

Help Support Steer Planet:

harley

Never tried doing it on my own, but always take my beef to a butcher that does it for me.  Made the mistake of going to a different butcher once because I didn't want to wait until I could get a beef into my regular butcher.  Didn't give instructions on aging the beef and was shocked when a few days later they called and said the meat was ready.  I gave most of the meat away after sampling the first few pakages, it was so disappointing after eating beef that had hung and aged.  The two calves were full brothers fed out on the same feed so I feel sure that genetics didn't play a part in the difference in the meat.  Maybe I should've tried aging the beef myself before giving away!

xxcc

i agree with harley.  our's meat processors standard aging time is 14-18 days.  i've been told that 21 days is optimal.  the most flavor for the least shrinkage occurs in that amount of time.

SWMO

Any meat locker that trys to tell you that there isn't a difference in aging a beef for seven days and 21 days is just trying to talk you into moving your meat out of their facility to make room for more volume. 

knabe

simtal said:
If we could hang beef, selection for tenderness wouldn't matter.

6 star tenderness beef at any age is still more tender, though the lines converge with the passing of time. 

making 21 day beef at 7 days is a reasonable goal and may minimize taste that some don't like.
it's what ranchers reserve for safeway essentially is and they don't have to pay the CAB premium, but can charge it and make more money and have a better product.

i like the nutty taste more aged beef.

bcosu

how would you be able to speed up the process? i read about the enzymes breaking down the tissue. i know lemon juice breaks down the fiber could you possibly use that? i wonder what it would taste like. might be something interesting or exotic  ;)

knabe

cbcfarms said:
how would you be able to speed up the process? i read about the enzymes breaking down the tissue. i know lemon juice breaks down the fiber could you possibly use that? i wonder what it would taste like. might be something interesting or exotic  ;)

great idea, so does salt, temp, shallots, alchohol, sealing while cooking etc.  also, resting allows reabsorption by meat fibers to relieve dryness.

i have a white wine rump roast recipe i'm going to try.  basically, eating a side of beef helps one investigate all this lower cost cut eating.  i guess, at this point, a loin cut to me has become a reminder that only a little love is required to get other cuts to be similar, though without the condensed beef only taste, which i enjoy with as little spices as necessary.

my "goal" is to make tri-tip as "naturally" tender as possible by stacking genes, feed, ageing.

CAB

The big packers cut and box most cuts up @ about 7/8 days. Shortly after that time frame there is an explosion in bacteria count. Along with that the cost of cooling facilities would be larger. I think that the minimum time to hang is 14 days and that is what we hang our beef for. Some of the older customers @ the locker I used to work @ wanted their beef to hang until it started to turn color literally. We would just have to trim a little off of the outside. I didn't look @ the link, my dial-up takes too long to go to the links or I am too impatient. You can do an experiment in your fridge @ home. I like to let vac-packaged steaks set in the fridge for approx. a week in their own juices then grill med-rare. Like Mark says, letting meat rest for 10-15minutes depending on how thick the cuts are will help with moisture retention and therefore also add flavor.
  Mark, as you know we sell beef @ farmers market here in Iowa. The only PPL that ever ask for Tri-tip are PPL that have moved to the area from Ca. None of the processors that I have used can ever figure out hw to cut tri-tip exactly or for that matter even been close according to the PPL that ask for it. We did make some cuts of sirloin that we called baseball cut that were very popular. A piece of boneless sirloin cut so thick that it looked like abaseball. We did also cut whole boneless sirloins 1 1/2 inches thick that PPL loved. I personally love a sirloin steak. I think that sirloin has great flavor.
    Mark, just read last night that ABS is/has developed an EPD for shear test. Brent

knabe

CAB said:
    Mark, just read last night that ABS is/has developed an EPD for shear test. Brent

hmm, that will be misleading, as the alleles are supposedly additive, so it will be interesting to see intervals less than 0.7 lbs.

imagine you have an animal like ali who is het for all three.  wonder what his epd will be?  using an epd, it would be better if the animal was homo for the alleles, again to guarantee transference of allele.

since T2 is the rarest, no epd is going to help you get it.

i guess i'll look at the ABS site.

i did notice THIS before

http://209.85.173.132/search?q=cache:fogbHEFbbKQJ:usa.absglobal.com/beef/dnamarker/Progeny%2520Test%2520for%2520Tenderness%2520%26%2520Efficiency.pdf+abs+tenderness+epd&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us&client=firefox-a

it would be so easy to study why. ugh.

so the best bull, FORESIGHT, is 0.5kg less shear force than say a 2.2 animal.  math     .5/2.2= 22% improvement.  perhaps he has genes which are not additive and bovigen didn't include.  wonder what foresight would be with the other allele of T2.  any bets on additive, antagonistic, no change?  there's some insight available with 234d not having T2 at all and look at his numbers compared to foresight.

man, i need some money.

personally, if i was going to redo the amaa, i know what i'd do.

forgot to say, the ABS thing depends on the cow base and what was transferred to animals under "test".

here's where i would like some more detail.

i want to know what the killed animals had, in addition to the bull.

it's easy to be confused by a cow base with a higher allele count.  this is obvious looking at foresight versus alliance.  30 animals is only 5 over what is typically used for a "population" in statistics and is bogus since the cowbase is unknown, as is the animals slaughtered. 

i put NO faith in this EPD.

CAB

I agree with the no faith statement. To me, just the next buzz words to sell. Too many variables that are unknown. Interesting that it is coming up as you're asking though. You could call them and ask if you could lend a helping bit of advice. Brent

CAB

It's the exact reason that "cowboys" don't put as much faith in epds as they once did and would rather trust their eyes and friends B4 the numbers. Brent