dry flaky skin

Help Support Steer Planet:

ham

We shaved our steers several weeks ago and now one of them has dry flaky skin.  We have been putting conditioner on him but it seems to be getting worse.  Any suggestions on how to manage this?  Show is in 2 weeks.

shortyjock89

ham said:
We shaved our steers several weeks ago and now one of them has dry flaky skin.  We have been putting conditioner on him but it seems to be getting worse.  Any suggestions on how to manage this?  Show is in 2 weeks.

Vinegar mixed with mane and tail. Pour it all over him and brush it in. Let sit for a few minutes, then rinse it out. You could even spray that on him periodically during the day as long as you rinse him out daily.

herefordfootball

Olson Family Shorthorns said:
ham said:

Vinegar mixed with mane and tail. Pour it all over him and brush it in. Let sit for a few minutes, then rinse it out. You could even spray that on him periodically during the day as long as you rinse him out daily.

I agree with OFS. Thats probaly your best route to go. You could also use  Suave shampoo. They make a general shampoo, nothing fancy, fairly cheap, and it cleans up the skin in no time.

KCK

Maybe lay off using soap every time. Might be irritating him, especially in the dry winter months. I know we haven't had much sun lately, but if your area has, could it be a sun burn? Just a random thought.

ham

Do I mix the vinegar with main & tail shampoo or conditioner?

Limflex

ham said:
[/quote
2  capfuls of Avon Skin So Soft in a spray bottle fill with water,spray on calf brush in with soft brush. Spray him a couple of times a day right up to show time.
Has always worked for us. 

KCK

So, did any of our suggestions help you out? We all seem to give out advice and never know how it works out ;)

littlemyron12

I usally rinse them off first and  then mix condtioner with vinegar.  Try not to use any soap in that area.  The most important thing is to comb it in and blow the flakes out.

ham

Skin/hide is much better- we only shampoo on saturday now and mixed the conditioner with vinegar and things are much better.  Thanks for all of the advice.