Drying after washing- is it important?

Help Support Steer Planet:

YoungGunCattle

I have an insulated barn with window units in it for a show barn. So it stays around 60 in there plus turbo fans. I get up every morning and wash calves and put them under fans. My question is, Should you dry your calves after rinsing? I have heard of people leaving lust a little bit damp before they turn them out for the night. What. Do you guys think?

J

JTM

I don't think there is any major issues with that. They will just be more likely to get dirty when laying down on dry dirt and being wet. If they were dry the dirt wouldn't stick, etc. That's the main reason that we always dry them good so that they don't get too dirty before the next time they get washed.

shortyjock89

You will have a lot fewer skin issues if you get them completely dry. I don't see a good reason to leave them wet.

simba

The hair will be trained much better if you dry them, otherwise you're training it to lay whatever way they lick, lay, rub, etc.

rjb

It does trap heat and by getting them dry your separating the hair allowing the skin to breathe which in turns allows the hair to grow. I've done it where I've washed them brushed them out and let them stand in front of the fans for an hour then blew them out the rest of the way.

vc

I have to agree with the above posters, Leaving the water on them holds the heat and creates hair problems. If you are going through the trouble and expens of running air conditioners to grow hair, it will only benefit you to work the hair as much as you can. The kids I know with coolers, work the  hair as much or more than the kids who are trying to grow hair without the cooler, in July those calves have 4 inch hair and it is thick. They even use the box chest with ice water, in the cool box.

The more you work the hair the better it will grow and look.

mocharolais

We dry them our cool room gets low 60s and they seem to feel overall cooler being dry.