Duane Hilbert has Passed Away

Help Support Steer Planet:

allaboutwho02

Duane Hilbert, who is a legend to many in the show cattle business, passed away today at his home. He was steadily going down hill and was suffering. So the lord has taken him and he to a better place. Funeral arrangements are being made and when I have the time and more details I will let people know.
Thanks you, the Hilbert and Bradford Family's

lowann

Duane purchased a Boo Who steer from us several years ago. I still remember him walking around our place looking at calves.
  RIP Duane. (angel)

donorheaven

As a young showman in the 1970's, I went to most of his sales here in Texas he had.  He always had some real nice ones with that H brand on their shoulder.  Time marches on.  My best wishes to his family during this time.

CAB

Duane raised a bunch of good show cattle over the years. God bless him & his family. (angel) (angel)

mike63

The club calf industry has truly lost a pioneer to so many,rip great freind

Hated to hear about Dewey. He named us grand at an open steer show out in western iowa a long time ago. He slapped our steer...walked back to the microphone and said "he's big, he's bold, he's black, he's good!"  I never forgot that......classic!

KDW

Yesterday I lost a great mentor and an even better friend. Duane was a man I knew as well as anyone and inside that gruff exterior was a heart of gold. No one was more passionate about the show cattle business than Duane, he would do anything for you if he liked you, and was always willing to teach a kid who wanted to learn. I was a kid who wanted to learn and he taught me a lot about the cattle business and business in general. No one has had the pleasure of travelling the United States and working at almost every sale Duane and Shiney had but me. If we were out west selling semen or going to a show or searching the country we were always in pursuit of that GREAT one. In the 30 plus years I have known Duane we have never had a serious disagreement and every conversation no matter how it started somehow turned to show cattle. When Duane judged a show he may not have been the smoothest on the mike, but he knew what he liked and was going to pick the one he thought was the champion and tell everyone why he liked the steer in plain English. I travelled to the National Western with Duane several times and when we unloaded the trailer there were always people around no matter what time of the day or night to see what Duane had brought because in the 70's, 80's, and 90's Duane was the man to beat in Denver he didn't bring steers planning to place or show he was there to WIN and win he did several times. As Duane would say before every sale "We have brought you great set of cattle take them home and let them get used to your place before you start working on them and WE DON'T GUARENTEE NOTHIN".

R.I.P. my friend I know you are in the big showring now.

allaboutwho02

The funeral will be Tuesday Dec 14th at the St Joseph Catholic chuch in St Joe,Iowa at 10:30 am. The visitation will be Monday Dec 13th night from 5-8 at the Lenz/Wilson funeral home in Algona,Iowa
My family and I appreciate all the thoughts and well wish's. My family and I will never forget how great of a Brother Uncle and freind he was to alot of us. I will try to keep the Hilbert name alive and strong in the industry In memory of my Uncle.
Thank You,
David Bradford

Warsaw

Duane Hilbert…… one of the best in his day and hard to beat in the show ring and as a friend.  The National Western Stock Show was one of Dewey’s favorite steer shows to win.  Numerous times before his brother Don "Shiney" probably broke the branding iron, you would see several of those Flying H branded steers being slapped as champions from the mid 70’s to late 90’s. Duane could find them, feed them, and win with them.  Duane, you will be known as Mr. Denver as well as a friend to many of us.  We know you are in a better place!

Visitation – Monday 12 /13/2010,  5:00 to 8:00 pm
Lentz Funeral Home, Algona, Iowa
Funeral 12/14/2010– St. Joseph Catholic Church in St. Joe

Telos

Duane Hilbert is synonymous with Show Cattle and that will always be.

Never met Duane Hilbert but certainly knew of him and his great cattle like most of us in the show biz.

I can picture his Denver string of cattle which were displayed to perfection.

My condolences to family and friends.

Forman Show Steers

Duane was one of the founding fathers of this business we call club calf swapping. Duane, I as many were proud to call you FRIEND. I am fortunate to have had a lesson or two taught to me by you and they are not ones I ever took lightly.

R.I.P. Buddy
  Ryan and Chad

MCC

I didn't know Mr. Hilbert very well but did get to talk to him over the years in Denver from time to time. I always learned something and was always thankful he would take time to talk to me plus remember my name from year to year. He truly was a pioneer in the club calf world and a man I always respected. My prayers go out to his family. Rest in peace Mr. Hilbert  (angel)

cattlemanr

Truly one of the Pioneers of the industry.  Showed against many times and purchased a steer from him in the mid 80's. Learned a lot from watching him, Always Respected him. My condolences to his family. Another Legend has passed on.

allaboutwho02

We put to rest Duane yesterday who many knew was my uncle. But more like a Father. This was the hardest thing I have ever had to do. I love him so much. He did so much for me thru my life and im truly going to miss him everyday the rest of my life. I will miss the times when I get done clipping a steer or heifer and they look awesome so I go in to tell Duane "To brag". :) So then I would have to get a pic so he could see the calf and I tell him all about it. Or the times I do well at a show and call him to make him proud of me. I will miss the advice I could still ask him on cattle stuff or just life even up to some of his last days with us. I learned pretty much everything I know about the show cattle industry from him. He was one of the best ever and im honored to have had him in my life. I also learned from him how to handle things in life as well. He was always there for me when I needed something. He was a great person, freind, uncle, and brother. There will be many that will miss him. The one thing I will continue to do is honor his name and continue his business. I will do my best to always keep the Hilbert name well known in the business and continue to sell cattle in his honor. I am very thankful for everyone that could make it to the wake and funeral. And also to everyone that has called, sent cards, left messages "on here" and  emails sending there regards. My family and I Thank every one of you for everything. Rest in peace Duane and show the Angels and the Lord up in the big showring why you were one of the best and a Legend.
Thank You Everyone,
David Bradford
Hilbert Show Steers

C-CROSS

Just read this, Suane will truly be missed, Harley and I really enjoyed his visits.  And the last few times he came he had to deal with me and that was sofun!!
Harley and Dawn Cable