Duhrams for Denver

Help Support Steer Planet:

showcat

I like showing cattle as much as the next guy and definitely think you must target the markets that you can make a living at.  Whether you sell cattle in the sale barn or in the purebred auction ring, what they bring... THAT IS THE REAL WORLD.  The interesting thing about looking through the Durhams for Denver cattle was all the footnotes and talk about how it's a commercial orientated program.  Yet when I looked at the cattle, they were a large group of under performing, small footed, straight shouldered club calf looking animals.  And the fall bulls were very straight shouldered, had .4-.5 back fat and still lacked muscle.  I just didn't see the correlation between bulls that could go out and work in big cow country and these bulls.  Now theres a couple bulls in there I liked a lot for the club calf industry.

D

dogger

They still sell cattle by the pound.  And the breeds that Shorthorns compete against...Angus, Charolais, Simmental and even Red Angus are not breeding frame score 4 and 5 bulls with 1000 lb yearling weights.  Yes, even the Red Angus.  They found out 4-5 yrs ago the small cattle and light BW cattle they developed was putting too much of a calving problem back into their cattle and was taking away too much performance.  Talk to the Red Angus breeders currently on what they are targeting.  They are now trying to breed back in more performance, bigger pelvic measurements and more frame.  They are breeding 5,6 and even 7 framed cattle targeting 1200 lb yearling weights.  You see folks, the simple theory in beef production is for the purebred breeder to raise a bull with some performance and adequate birth weight that works on 1300 or 1400 lb moderate cows.  Anyone that is buying a 4-5 framed bull is not only giving away free performance that usually tells me that their cow herd is too big.  Why feed 40 big cows and have one small bull? It's the other way around the one stout performing bull with 40 moderate cows that makes the American rancher profitable.  And that, ladies and gentelmen is practicle and profitable in today's beef industry. 

cattlefarmer

Those bulls will cover the cows our bull as a yearling covered 37 cows in 100 days.  He was tired when we brought him in but he did his job.  Covered over 40 cows and heifers this year.
I wonder what some of the bulls that showed on the hill would have scanned for IMF fat and back fat on them?  Pretty good bet they would have been worse.  Showcat you sound like a club calf guy to me wanting big footed big boned bulls, by the way when was the last time any one had a sandwhich made from that big leg bone every one wants?

kfacres

cattlefarmer said:
Those bulls will cover the cows our bull as a yearling covered 37 cows in 100 days.  He was tired when we brought him in but he did his job.  Covered over 40 cows and heifers this year.
I wonder what some of the bulls that showed on the hill would have scanned for IMF fat and back fat on them?  Pretty good bet they would have been worse.  Showcat you sound like a club calf guy to me wanting big footed big boned bulls, by the way when was the last time any one had a sandwhich made from that big leg bone every one wants?

37 cows in 100 days.. man that's just super duper.. Our RA bull as a virgin sired 150 calves in 365 days, this last group of heifers that are about to finish up--  29 of the 35 heifers calved within the first 3 weeks... That means he covered 29 heifers in 21 days, and all 35 of them in say 5-6 weeks- as we are a week from finishing calving that group- which is two less cows than you have...  in far less than 1/2 the time

Show Dad

I drive by Mbar's ranch world headquarters almost daily. And I will tell you that the Fathead bulls and heifers are flat awesome. They have the muscle capacity needed for the Shorthorn cattle to be considered seriously in the commercial business. Besides they look good too! This coming from an Angus (both colors) guy.  I commend the Mbar crew for being forward thinking (is that an oxymoron where T-roy is concerned?). I truly believe 50 years in the future the Shorthorn breed will have ranches like Mbar to thank for their prosperity (sappy I know, but it sounds good!).

DISCLAIMER: Though MBar is my neighbor, I am not a paid spokesman of MBar ranch or it's subsidiaries (or Coors Brewing Company, BTW did you take it all to Denver? I couldn't find any in the barn while you were gone.). Nor have I been retained as a consultant for their growing rabbit and sheep operations (fortunately none died while we were taking care of them.). I have been given the occasional bottle of home made schnapps from Mbar Girl (which I am currently out of, hint, hint). I have also provided lost calf recovery services from time to time. I also believe that his daughter is a stunt double for Selena Gomez.

cpubarn

DISCLAIMER: Though MBar is my neighbor, I am not a paid spokesman of MBar ranch or it's subsidiaries (or Coors Brewing Company, BTW did you take it all to Denver? I couldn't find any in the barn while you were gone.). Nor have I been retained as a consultant for their growing rabbit and sheep operations (fortunately none died while we were taking care of them.). I have been given the occasional bottle of home made schnapps from Mbar Girl (which I am currently out of, hint, hint). I have also provided lost calf recovery services from time to time. I also believe that his daughter is a stunt double for Selena Gomez.
[/quote]

SD  Glad to have you visit our planet on occasion to lighten it up a little around here!!!  (lol)

cattlefarmer

[/quote]

37 cows in 100 days.. man that's just super duper.. Our RA bull as a virgin sired 150 calves in 365 days, this last group of heifers that are about to finish up--  29 of the 35 heifers calved within the first 3 weeks... That means he covered 29 heifers in 21 days, and all 35 of them in say 5-6 weeks- as we are a week from finishing calving that group- which is two less cows than you have...  in far less than 1/2 the time
[/quote]
Well thats great, I find it a little hard to believe but more power to you and the bull.  My point was was that as yearlings these bulls are quite capable of covering cattle.  But that went well over your head like alot of things do!

kfacres

[/quote]
Well thats great, I find it a little hard to believe but more power to you and the bull.  My point was was that as yearlings these bulls are quite capable of covering cattle.  But that went well over your head like alot of things do!
[/quote]

would you like to see the calving record, or his calves?  They are here, as well as the bull is.. Actually, if you get down to the %-- your bull covered almost as much as mine did...

Your bull covered 37 cows in 100 days..  take 37 cows x 3.65 (to equal one year of breeding..) and your bull should have sired 135 calves.  Our bull sired 16 less than 150 calves in the same 365 days (minus a few days since calving also didn't start on Jan 1- and he sired the 150 in 13 months)..  which is 134 calves.. So in all reality.. if your bull would have run cows for a full year, as ours did.. he would have sired one more calf than ours... 

Now who's over who's head?

Show Dad

cpubarn said:

SD  Glad to have you visit our planet on occasion to lighten it up a little around here!!!   (lol)
[/quote]

Everyone gets so serious anymore. Though this makes me very angry, very angry indeed, I come in peace. Now where did I put that Illudium PU-36 Explosive Space Modulator? <alien>

M Bar Girl

SD said:
cpubarn said:

SD-  I'm out of bottles

DakotaCow

the truth said:

[/quote]

would you like to see the calving record, or his calves?  They are here, as well as the bull is.. Actually, if you get down to the %-- your bull covered almost as much as mine did...

Your bull covered 37 cows in 100 days..  take 37 cows x 3.65 (to equal one year of breeding..) and your bull should have sired 135 calves.  Our bull sired 16 less than 150 calves in the same 365 days (minus a few days since calving also didn't start on Jan 1- and he sired the 150 in 13 months)..  which is 134 calves.. So in all reality.. if your bull would have run cows for a full year, as ours did.. he would have sired one more calf than ours... 

Now who's over who's head?
[/quote

Not everyone thinks its a wonderful idea to calve all year long, we are ashamed if we have a calving season that lasts longer than 55 days. Granted we do use A.I extensively and pull bulls after 55 days so there is no need to let our bulls run on cows all year.  Also I would be weary of assuming cattlefarmer has only 37 cows, perhaps the pastures stocking rate only allowed for 37 pair. We run some pastures that have as few as 25 pair and some as many as 125 pair( We have national grassland pasture rights and have to stock to recommended rates). I'm glad you are so eager to compare your operation with others, the fact your often far superior is both entertaining and enlightening! I appreciate the entertainment The Truth. Keep it up for my sake at least <cowboy>

kfacres

Well.. we prefer to calve year round.. since, you know the milk supply can't stop!  

DUh Dummy...  Just cuz the bulls'a  RA.. don't mean he's breeding RA heifers!  

The beef heifers, of ours and not of ours.. he ran with for a 45-60 days.. I'd have to look up the calving rates on them.. don't remember off top head

Show Dad

M Bar Girl said:
SD said:
cpubarn said:

SD-  I'm out of bottles

Oh my, what surprises came my way today! She found some bottles!!!