Dumb Bull Syndrome

Help Support Steer Planet:

twaitshorthorns

I was just wondering if anyone has heard of Dumb Bull Syndrome.  We have had two calves die of this so far.  They come out and really don't know what to do.  They don't stand or try to nurse.  We bottle fed the one for 2 days before it died and the other for a day.  We have tried the Bo-Se shot because it is supposed to help.  Does anyone have any experience with this or any idea what we can do with the calves or the cows?

red

(welcome) twaitshorthorns

Actually there does seem to be a correlation between large bulls calves & slowness or stupidity. Let me look because we had a thread on it a while back.

Red

red

try this thread
http://www.steerplanet.com/bb/index.php/topic,236.0.html

garybob

twaitshorthorns said:
I was just wondering if anyone has heard of Dumb Bull Syndrome.  We have had two calves die of this so far.  They come out and really don't know what to do.  They don't stand or try to nurse.  We bottle fed the one for 2 days before it died and the other for a day.  We have tried the Bo-Se shot because it is supposed to help.  Does anyone have any experience with this or any idea what we can do with the calves or the cows?
I think it has to do with oxygen deprivation during longer-than-normal births.

Sorry for your losses. Keep trying.

GB

aj

The 2 or 3 I've had were huge freaks. These type of cattle aren't meant for the real world and their genes should not be passed on by keeping them as seedstock. ;)

Dusty

We had a calf that had no sense of balance.  He would fall over all time like he was drunk or something.  It was funny because when he ran he was fine, but he couldn't walk 5 feet without falling down.  As he got older he got smarter and would always walk next the edge of the pen so the panels would keep him up.  We were just going to try and feed him out cuz he wasn't worth anything, but he ended up falling into a tractor tire feeder and died.  The vet didn't know what was wrong with him other than "wow, he's messed up".

twaitshorthorns

These calves haven't been very big.  The first was a Simmental, 80 pounds.  The other was a shorthorn, a twin weighing 75 lbs.  They just don't want to suck or even try to stand up.  You can hold them up and they just go right down.  Never had this before didn't know why all of a sudden.

Latest posts