Durham Red Calves

Help Support Steer Planet:

Will

A while back someone ask about the color of calves sired by  Durham red Bull.  Here are a couple. The babies are couple weeks old and the older heifer was born in March.  Forgive the horrible photography.

Attachments

• IMGP0639.JPG
    IMGP0639.JPG
    400.6 KB · Views: 366
  • IMGP0622.JPG
    IMGP0622.JPG
    396.2 KB · Views: 354
  • IMGP0620.JPG
    IMGP0620.JPG
    278.4 KB · Views: 359
  • IMGP0621.JPG
    IMGP0621.JPG
    378.4 KB · Views: 351

Will

daydreamingacres said:
what is the actual difference between a Durham red and a Shorthorn  :)))
A Durham Red is just a cross between a Red Angus and a Shorthorn.  They have to be at least 1/4 shorthorn or red Angus.  So basically a Durham Red is just a Shorthorn plus that is Red Angus.  I am sure others on here could elaborate further.

Will

His name and registration number is J B Red Power xAR45072.  We bought him for a clean bull to use on heifers.  In his first two sets of calves he has been a fantastic suprise.  Birth weights in the 60 and 70s.  We had 6 heifer calves out of him in the spring and have already sold three as show calves for more money than we usually get for our calves.  The calves come easy and get up and go immediately.  We are having a better test this fall, we will have 20 calves.  We have never sold any semen on any of our bulls until now.  We have sold about 100 straws to breeders that have seem him and his calves.  Needless to say we are very excited about him.

shortyjock89

Will, those are some VERY nice calves.  Your set, and the calves that WHR has sold are the best Durham Red calves I've seen.  I wouldn't mind having one or two DR heifers, but I don't know much about Red Angus show cattle, although I know there are some real nice ones.  Have you sold the heifer in the first picture yet?

justme

Those are some beautiful calves.  We penned next to some people from Wyoming a few years back during the Royal fancy heifer show and sale and I'm still kicking myself for not picking those heifers up.  I think the red angus really compliments the shorthorn so well.  Congrats on a great group of calves! (thumbsup)

Will

Olson Family Shorthorns said:
Will, those are some VERY nice calves.  Your set, and the calves that WHR has sold are the best Durham Red calves I've seen.  I wouldn't mind having one or two DR heifers, but I don't know much about Red Angus show cattle, although I know there are some real nice ones.  Have you sold the heifer in the first picture yet?
No she is still available.  Her mother has been avery consistant cow for me,  I bred him to 9 heifers and two cows last year and she was one of the cows.  She go back to Diamond Leggs 21 and the Bedwells Terry Star cow family.