Durham Reds

Help Support Steer Planet:

cowz

I visted a breeder that is really getting into Durham Reds last summer.  I really liked what we saw.  Any one on here raise any?  Got any opinions?
I think it is a wonderful way for the shorthorn breed to branch out into some really functional cattle that can work in the "real world".  I am seriously thinking of trying a bull or two on our commercial cows next year.

garybob

Originally, Shorthorns, if you will study history, were at one time, the standard for performance, and not only maternaltraits, either.  I undrstand many of you don't have the blessing of seeing these cattle  first-hand, and I hope i don't seem like an old grouch on here, sounding like a broken record.

cert

I know of a really good red angus bull that would add performance and maternal to any cow. Not recommended for heifers and he is not mine. I stand to gain nothing from pushing him. I sold a pretty good steer out of him last year. And the calves grow fast. I've never seem the bull in person but I know the feller that bred and raised him. I trust his word.
6759b462.jpg

OH Breeder

cowz said:
I visted a breeder that is really getting into Durham Reds last summer.  I really liked what we saw.  Any one on here raise any?   Got any opinions?
I think it is a wonderful way for the shorthorn breed to branch out into some really functional cattle that can work in the "real world".  I am seriously thinking of trying a bull or two on our commercial cows next year.
If you go to WHR Shorthorns they have some really stout Durhams in their sale this year. I raise shorthorns and am thinking of using Cherokee Canyon Chief on my heifers. I really like the cross. The growth and finsih seems to be outstanding. Go to www.whrshorthorns.com and check out the catalog. Sonny x Red Angus cows.
PS the third Picture across the top row Sonny x R123 is a Durham Red.

shortdawg

I watched one sell for $7500 at WHR last year to Sullivan I think. I bred a shorthorn heifer for a friend of mine to Cherokee Canyon last season and she had a nice calf back in Sept.

cowz

Shortdawg, in the other thread on Shorties, I posted a picture of a "Proud Jazz" son.  That calf was in the Junglen Durham Red sale.  I would love to be able to travel to the WHR sale.  Did you go?

red

i know that OH Breeder has been a long advocate of using Red Angus as easy calving bulls. What are some of their other good traits? How are they as maternal cows? Milking & temperment?

Red cows rule!

shortdawg

Cowz , I have been to the WHR sale the last two years. The are a class act all the way around : cattle , facilities , good people ,  and good food. If you have never been , I would definitely recommend going. It's a short ride from DFW airport. There will be a few deals in the sale but it will average in the 7-8k range per head. I've kicked myself for sometime for not buying a Gold Rush daughter out there because he is really putting some nice progeny on the ground. Check out Schrag's new herd sire out of him - SS Deadwood.

OH Breeder

shortdawg said:
Cowz , I have been to the WHR sale the last two years. The are a class act all the way around : cattle , facilities , good people ,  and good food. If you have never been , I would definitely recommend going. It's a short ride from DFW airport. There will be a few deals in the sale but it will average in the 7-8k range per head. I've kicked myself for sometime for not buying a Gold Rush daughter out there because he is really putting some nice progeny on the ground. Check out Schrag's new herd sire out of him - SS Deadwood.
Really like that SS Deadwood Bull. There is a farm here in Ohio that has done quiet a bit of business with Bill at WHR. They rave about him and his customer service. I think his Durhams Look super! ;) I wish I had a couple.

Attachments

• SS_Deadwood.jpg
    SS_Deadwood.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 545

feeder duck

We  have  a few first calf shorthorn  heifers bred to the ABS bull Above and Beyond , so I am really looking forward to them. Bred them that way for his calving ease.

OH Breeder

feeder duck said:
    We  have  a few first calf shorthorn  heifers bred to the ABS bull Above and Beyond , so I am really looking forward to them. Bred them that way for his calving ease.
Cherokee Canyon Chief, Chateau are also a couple more that are suppose to really click with Shorthorns. Would like to see your calves when they hit the ground, if ya take pictures.

shortdawg

I hope to flush the heifer in my profile to Deadwood in the fall. I think he will be a perfect match for the Sonny daughters.

Joe Boy

When I was a kid we had a couple of Durham Reds, but we called the Red Durhams.  They raised wonderful calves and really made a great deal of milk.  We milked them some, but I did not like it as the orfus was not large and it took a while to milk them.

My banker has REd Angus and he really likes them.  I think they are some of the best pure bred cattle in our county.  One of the best cows my kids ever showed was a Red ChiAngus.  Her granddam was a Red Angus and on the Sire side her granddam was full blood Chi...white.  She looked like one grandma and had the other ones color.  Our best cow ever.  I have a black heifer that I will soon register out of her and she is 13 and will soon be 14.  It is a Maine heifer out of my 4 year old Maine bull a Headliner son.

cowz

Here is a little blurb about Durham Reds from the Shorty Assoc:      (If you want even more info go to www.heterosis.com  lots of articles.)

The concept of a 100% British composite apparently struck a cord with commercial cattlemen across the country. As composite seedstock rapidly gains approval in the beef industry, maintaining highly efficient females and progeny with the ability to grade a high percent Choice seems to have great appeal. Until now, commercial cattlemen who have invested heavily in high marbling genetics have been reluctant to utilize composite seedstock for fear of Continental influences decreasing their percent Choice.

The Durham Red cattle allow commercial cattlemen to maintain some level of heterosis in an uncomplicated breeding system. Because they are both superb females and excellent feeding and grading cattle, they are a viable solution for those who have avoided the terminal crossbreeding system due to its management complexities.

With the program still in its infancy, Durham Red calves are mostly just hitting the ground this spring. As calls come in from Oregon to North Carolina and Michigan to Texas seeking Durham Red bulls and females, buyers are asked to remain patient as the product is developed. The quickest solution for those impatient buyers has been an attempt to locate Shorthorn females in volume and breed their own. Several sizable firms have expressed interest in developing and breeding solely Durham Red cattle and stabilizing the composite. Look for Durham Red bulls to offer both Shorthorn and Red Angus breeders multiple products and the ability to move more bulls next spring. Durham Red females are demanded in large groups and will bring top of the market prices. The Durham Red program has limitless potential as the complementarity of these two breeds yields truly great cattle and at the core of seedstock production, that's what it's all about.  (From American Shorthorn Assoc.)

Joe Boy

You have brought up some interesting points about being good mommas, easy fleshing, choice grading and to do all this economically.  I have read the stat. sheets of many breeds:  Braunvieh, Red Angus, Maine Anjou, Angus, Shorthorns, Chis, Charlotte and Limousines.  Can all of it be verified by independent research and what is the truth about all the propaganda being published by the breed associations?

garybob

(lol) The closest thing to this was Cundiff & Co.'s MARC tests, but they were done in the early eighties,just before Rodeo Drive(high BW) and LONG before the clubbies came along. All that great data, and the ASA/ Omaha bunch didn't have a clue on what to do with it. I hope I am not offending anyone's feelings here, but without commercial acceptance, no breed can stand alone.  Anyone went to Kaper's website like I asked? Just curious.

red

garybob said:
(lol) The closest thing to this was Cundiff & Co.'s MARC tests, but they were done in the early eighties,just before Rodeo Drive(high BW) and LONG before the clubbies came along. All that great data, and the ASA/ Omaha bunch didn't have a clue on what to do with it. I hope I am not offending anyone's feelings here, but without commercial acceptance, no breed can stand alone.  Anyone went to Kaper's website like I asked? Just curious.

Gary Bob, actually I did visit their website. Very nice cattle. Interesting looking bull.

Attachments

• special of the month (2).jpg
    special of the month (2).jpg
    39 KB · Views: 356

cowz

shortdawg said:

Shortdawg,  Saw the WHR catalog last night.  Man oh man,  a nice bunch of heifers!!!  Are you going this year??  If you are will you bring us a report?

DL

OH Breeder said:
shortdawg said:
Really like that SS Deadwood Bull. There is a farm here in Ohio that has done quiet a bit of business with Bill at WHR. They rave about him and his customer service. I think his Durhams Look super! ;) I wish I had a couple.
Nice looking bull with just a touch of Maine - do I correctly assume that he has been tested negative for those dirty defects? He has Improver way back but I didn't find any Stinger.

Re Red Angus - we don't see too many up here and the one's I have dealt with had the temperament of a skunk - is this a Red Angus thing or just particular to these animals?  (cow)