DVAuction.com

Help Support Steer Planet:

CPL

Well I have had an account with them for about a year now and sadly today is my first day watching an auction on their site.

The format is a bit different, but I think I like it. There is a big video, a picture of the sale lot from the catalog, and on the right side are sale prices. So if you get up to go to the bathroom and miss lot 23 just look him up on the side bar. Video and Audio are both very clear and there is even a "delay" chart that shows how much the audio and video are delayed coming to your computer. No more getting out bid at the last minute! They also have 3 camera angles so you are constantly seeing different angles of the cattle.

They are probably not as popular as EDJECast or LiveAuctions, but they are still doing a good job. Just my opinion.

CM Cattle

I love DVauction.  It has our local livestock market bluegrass stockyards  on it, so when knowbody will take me there I can just watch it online. <party>

Show Dad

I love the DVAuction interface. You know when you have the bid and when your out. More importantly I have never had a glitch with them. I would use them hands down if I had an auction. EDJE is good too.

If Liveauction.tv is doing a sale and you want my business you better hope I'll be there in person otherwise forget it. Lousy interface and never works right. If you have satellite  internet the delay is too long. Plus I won't spend the $50 bucks for a subscription.

JMHO
<alien>

red

SD said:
I love the DVAuction interface. You know when you have the bid and when your out. More importantly I have never had a glitch with them. I would use them hands down if I had an auction. EDJE is good too.

If Liveauction.tv is doing a sale and you want my business you better hope I'll be there in person otherwise forget it. Lousy interface and never works right. If you have satellite  internet the delay is too long. Plus I won't spend the $50 bucks for a subscription.

JMHO
<alien>

I watched the IA Maine parade & sale on liveTVauctions. I have DSL but it kept freezing up on me. Sound was pretty poor quality. Also on my screen during sale the bid prices or final bid never showed up. Plus side was that neither one cost me anything. I guess for someone that couldn't make the trip it was the next best thing. Also, I could sit & eat popcorn while rooting on Mucho!

Red

Jill

With that said, the service isn't offered so we can sit and watch, it is there for the luxury of actually buying from home and there is absolutely NO WAY you could have bid on the Iowa Hereford or Maine sales from the connection I had.

PLKR

So maybe I'm not crazy...I recently had an email "conversation" with Brad concerning this same issue - why are we able to receive the DV Auctions & EDJECast auctions with so much better clarity than the LiveAuction broadcasts.  His only answer was that they all use the same program to provide the service...hmm...not the explanation I was seeking.  Since I have invested the $50, I guess I was expecting more of an answer.  Oh well...

Show Dad

Not sure of the software being used but could it be the server that hosts his site? I also noticed that just going to the Liveauction.tv site is slower loading and running. Is he trying to be too cutting edge?

What ever it is he needs to change. Because of all the talk in the last few months of internet auction sites Liveauction is the only one getting bad press.
<alien>

ruhtram

I really like DV Auctions. I've enjoyed tuning in and watching some sales, although; I have never bought or bid on anything online. To me it would be nice if more Club calf type sales were on DV because it has really good connection. Can someone give me some insight on how to buy/bid on cattle online? How reliable is it? Thanks

justme

Its a wonderful tool, but its so unreliable.  I've went on twice to bid on certain animals and was unable due to the poor transmision. 

I know our bull had some bids online at the Iowa beef expo, but in the back of my head I've wondered if more were there to bid and couldn't.  I heard the transmission was awful.  My in-laws watched and said it was hard to even make the cattle out on screen and the sound was even worse.

kanshow

If the connection was that poor, I sure wouldnt' be taking my chances bidding.  I'd probably be on the phone or not bid. 

vcsf

I have watched several sales on liveauctions.tv, edjecast, dvauctions, superior online, livestockrus.com, as well as a couple of Canadian companies called wlex.ca and dlms.ca.  I only really try to watch a sale if I can go into town where I have access to an excellent high speed connection.  Every sale I have ever watched has had some type of a glitch at some point be it a total freeze up, cutting out for a few seconds, audio and picture out of sync, or something else. This is not counting poor picture quality or audio that I believe is often caused by the internet connection at the sale site.  One of the worst broadcasts I have tried watching was the Simmental Sale from Denver this year done by edje.  In this case the audio was terrible for the entire sale and the screen would freeze up every 2 or 3 lots causing you to refresh it.  This was even worse than the liveauctions.tv sale I watched where they gave up on broadcasting video and only had audio and text but at least after the first half hour they got the audio to good quality.  With regards to the Iowa Beef Expo Maine Sale I only tuned in for a few minutes and saw Mucho sell where I was at there was what I considered to be good video and the bid showed up on the screen.  I do not know about the audio as I was in someone's office who was on the phone so I had the sound muted.

From my experiences I do not know how anybody could have faith in any of these companies if you truely wanted to buy a specific animal at a sale.  With my luck I can guarantee a problem would occur when the animal I wanted was selling.  I think the services are great to be able to watch the sales and know what is going on but if I wanted a specific animal I would be on the phone with someone at the sale.  If you were just looking to buy some cheaper cattle and not concerned about missing the one you want maybe bidding online would be fine.  Another thing is I have yet to see a video on any broadcast that really allowed me to appraise an animal.

cpubarn

I hope that all of you online bidders wouldn't give up on any company too quickly.  The technology behind it all is improving (even though some days it may not look like it).  Also viewership/bidding appears to be RAPIDLY growing, causing some challanges.  I think we can all agree that a SHORT TERM goal is to get this to work 100% of the time.  I

t does not appear to me that the companies all use the same software.  IMA and LiveAuctions maybe do.  EDJE and DV sure appear to be different from the first two.  Similar technology maybe...

Anyone ever have a cell phone call drop?  During bidding?  I have....  I still use the phone.  But the companies are still putting up towers, and improving service.  I think it will happen here too.

As a former computer dealer, I also had a WIDE variety of connections at many of my customers farms.  Speeds were all over the board even with similar technologies.  During the EDJE sale Sunday, MY line had a signal/noise issue.  It apeared to be online, but I saw there was some trouble.  When I went into my router statistics I could see the trouble was on MY end, most of my customers were never ever to diagnose that alone, and would always blame my computers, which can be, but is not always the case.

I also agree that the video available doesn't allow someone to appraise the animal to my liking.  That is why I think that a phone call to a sale rep and/or a pre-sale visit is still important.  All sales have some sort of help available for you to get an idea of the quality of the animal before the sale.  I was never someone who could just attend a sale without studying the cattle for an hour or two first (My son would say I study the catltle for 6-10 hours).

Mark

red

I agree, I'd never rely on an on-line bid. I think the on-line is usually several seconds behind live time. That can make a big difference
I'd certainly use a phone or have someone in person that can bid for me.

Red

password

Folks, I would love to talk to you about Online Bidding...just give me a call if you have questions.

Internet bidding uses two connections 1) the one at the sale 2) and the bidder’s internet connection

Both connections need to be very good and reliable.

Brad Fahrmeier
816-392-9241

red

thanks Brad. I was one of those that just watched IA Maine sale. I did have quite a bit of freezing up on the feed. I have broadband. If I'd ever place a bid I'd certainly use the phone.
Is there a time delay between the internet & real time?
I think we all appreciate you posting here. It's nice to see that a businessman recognizes his customer's concerns.

Red

red

Brad- will you be hosting the Ohio expo's Maine sale & Frozen Gold?
Also how quickly does membership start when you register?

Red

rtmcc

I really liked the videos of the cattle on Dave Guyer's sale on Superior.  They did a great job of representing the cattle and looked as tho you could buy one just from the video.

Why can't the online auction companies have a video playing of the animal selling and have the bidding real time?  You are never really going to see an animal good enough to make a purchase decision from a sale ring cam.  I know videoing every lot in a sale is expensive and time consuming but it may help get more online bidders if they feel they can get an accurate evaluation of the animal on line.

jason

rtmcc said:
I really liked the videos of the cattle on Dave Guyer's sale on Superior.  They did a great job of representing the cattle and looked as tho you could buy one just from the video.

Why can't the online auction companies have a video playing of the animal selling and have the bidding real time?  You are never really going to see an animal good enough to make a purchase decision from a sale ring cam.  I know videoing every lot in a sale is expensive and time consuming but it may help get more online bidders if they feel they can get an accurate evaluation of the animal on line.

that sounds like an excellent idea, having real time online bidding would require very little bandwidth.  The only problem I see is everyone trying to watch the video at the same time (when auction is going) and getting the same result.