Dye Questions

Help Support Steer Planet:

SSFSimmentals

I have a few questions regarding dye.  I know that multiple threads have been run on it in the past, but I need a few fresh opinions.
I have a steer with great, velvety hair which has a slightly brownish tint which I am considering dying jet black.
First, my show schedule runs from mid-April all the way to the first week of August.  I have shows basically every weekend in April and May, then one show at the beginning of June, then a fair in July and a fair in August.  After dying him the first time, how often should I do so to maintain the color?
Second, is it really worth it to dye?  I know that it will probably make a noticeable difference in his hair, but the reddish tint is only visible from certain angles and in certain lighting, so I don't know that I should even bother with it.  However some of the jackpot shows I plan on attending are very competitive and I don't want to leave anything out.
Thank you in advance for any advice you may have.

Spencer10218

We recently dyed my calf I thought it was worth it but when you break him down after a show it takes some out

SSFSimmentals

That's what I was afraid of.  I don't really want to have to keep dying him over and over again - my shows are so close together that I would probably have several hundred dollars in dye by the end of the show season, and that doesn't even count if I dye my heifer string.

Also, has anyone dyed before a no paint show?  My county's 4-h steer club sent out a list of rules recently and stated that no paint would be allowed.  I am also afraid that some of the people who are not up on the whole deal will stir up a ruckus if they find out that I dyed my steer.

Spencer10218

I would dye the steer before the show
Dye isn't paint, and don't tell anyone you are going to dye him because they can prove anything the dye doesn't wash out that easy so your not going to be able to tell after breaking him down and washing him in front of everyone
The only reason mine came off is because I went really light in his legs because I was low on dye