Dyeing hair tips

Help Support Steer Planet:

wharrison

I'm fixing to dye my heifers hair. I'm a first timer, and I need tips. I know I should probably have someone else do it, but I need to learn to do this myself. Thanks for your help.

Earthmover

Get the Black Velvet from Sullivans, Its real easy, hard to screw up. I do it myself.

bruiser

Don't use human hair dye . Me being half Dutch , decided Sullivans where getting to much of my money. So I went to Wally world and bought hair dye. Can you picture a 850 lbs. Angus steer doing an imitation of a snake shedding its skin. DEFINATLY not a pretty site.

The Show

Get a fogger and it's a LOT easier to do. Just mix it up, spray it on all over, rub it in with a wash brush, let it sit for about 20 mins. then rinse it out. I prefer black velvet from Sullivans.

ADG

Sullivans has some hair dyeing tips to make things work better.  Human hair dye is fine, mix it with Kleen Sheen to last longer, and watch for color change (usually 15 minutes or so).  Short haired animals need less time obviously so you don't burn there skin.  Rinse very well!

KCK

Wear gloves and save the tail for last! Never cool when you dye yourself... speaking from a rookie mistake millions of years ago :-\
And, everyone I have worked for has done it after the major clipping is done. Not sure if that makes a huge difference to someone that might be getting their heifer or steer clipped at the show.
Good luck!

ruhtram

mix with clean sheen and use a fogger or spray bottle and then comb in..let sit for 15 mins or so

steerpimp

I always put on 2 A.I. gloves and rub it in real good for about 15 minutes then rinse it out untill I get it all out.

lcc10

Cruiser said:
mix with clean sheen and use a fogger or spray bottle and then comb in..let sit for 15 mins or so

how much klen sheen do you mix with it ? and how does it help it stay longer ?

orwell

You can use people dye, just make sure that it has no ammonia in it and do not leave it in long. Also after when you are rinsing it out, dont use much soap just a lot of cold water. Good luck!

showcat

Sorry for the contradictory tips here but DO NOT use human dye.  Use only dye formulated for cattle.  Sullivan's Black Velvet is such and won't dry out your calf's skin.  Follow instructions on the pkg.  It's not hard to do.  and yes, wear a glove.

wharrison

Thank you everyone for all the help...this is why I joined steerplanet.  I still haven't dyed her hair yet (wanted to get as much info as possible first).  I was going to use a human dye, but after this I think I'm going to use Sullivan's for my first time.  I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again!

The Show

american honey said:
Why do you dye the hair? What is dyeing it suppose to do?
It looks better. The sun fades out black hair a little and it'll give it a slight reddish tint that doesn't look good.

DEA

A couple other questions  to add on to this........

1.  Is it better to fog the entire side and then brush it in or is it better to do a certain section then brush and move to say middle of calf then brush, move to front then brush in,etc.

2.  What is the best way to do the neck (with its wrinkles) and up around the head? 

siggyl67

I have used both Sullivan's Black Velvet and human hair coloring, and have had mixed reactions to each animal.  Animals are just like humans in which each will react differently.  I personally think that the Sullivan's is too high priced for how much you need to use to cover a large animal.

The best luck I have had is with human hair color with out ammonia in the solution.  I mix it half and half with Kleen Sheen.  The last time I mixed it I used the conditioner packets (that they give you in the boxes)  into my color mixture.  Also be sure to spray any white areas with Kleen Sheen first to protect it from being colored.  I have done both a spray bottle and fogger.  The fogger definitely goes faster, you just have to be careful if you have white spots to avoid.

Good Luck and be sure to condition the skin after you are done to keep it from peeling.  (thumbsup)

The Show

DEA said:
A couple other questions  to add on to this........

1.  Is it better to fog the entire side and then brush it in or is it better to do a certain section then brush and move to say middle of calf then brush, move to front then brush in,etc.

2.  What is the best way to do the neck (with its wrinkles) and up around the head? 
I've always fogged the entire calf then went back over it and brushed it. I usually just fog up to the jaw then just pour a little on their face and rub it in to avoid the eyes. You don't have to do anything special on their neck. Spray it normal and just make sure you rub it in good.

TJB73

i have tried black velvet and young color and prefer young color takes longer but not as harsh on animals to me