Dyeing Problems

Help Support Steer Planet:

Chap34

Have dyed a couple of red tinted steers and still can see a little red.  I have tried two different dyes ( one is sullivans black  velvet he other revlon from walmart), two different application methods (one using spray bottle with straight dye and the other using a fogger mixing with kleen sheen at 1 to 1 ratio), left one stand with dye on for 30 minutes and the other for 45 minutes before rinsing out.  Also have not washed calves for 4-5 days before dyeing ( what sullivans suggests to do to avoid burn).  After all this it looks like I will have to dye again to get totally black.  Is this common or am I doing something wrong.  Thanks

Jill

Chap34 said:
Have dyed a couple of red tinted steers and still can see a little red.  I have tried two different dyes ( one is sullivans black  velvet he other revlon from walmart), two different application methods (one using spray bottle with straight dye and the other using a fogger mixing with kleen sheen at 1 to 1 ratio), left one stand with dye on for 30 minutes and the other for 45 minutes before rinsing out.  Also have not washed calves for 4-5 days before dyeing ( what sullivans suggests to do to avoid burn).  After all this it looks like I will have to dye again to get totally black.  Is this common or am I doing something wrong.  Thanks
We don't mix with Kleen Sheen, we use the dye straight with just enough sheen to get it all out of the bottle.

DLD

I personally haven't used the Sullivans dye, but have seen others use it with varying results. If the Revlon you're getting is Young Color II black, then the only reason I know of you're still not getting them black would be that you're just not using enough. Figure on a minimum of 6 bottles for a 1000# - 1200# calf, more if they have much red tinge to 'em. We don't actually use sheen in the process at all. I mix two bottles of dye in a quart spray bottle, and fill it 1/2 - 2/3 full with warm tap water (helps it mix easier and more uniformly) and apply that to one side of the calf, brushing it in after each coat. Repeat on the other side, then split the third spray bottle between the two sides. When the bottle gets low enough it doesn't want to spray, pour the remaining contents down the calf's top and brush it in. If it's warm, put 'em in the shade under a fan (or two) and let 'em dry completely, then rinse thoroughly. If it's cold, you'll want to blow on 'em. I try to let it set for an hour before I rinse it out. I'm not saying this is the only way to do it, but it's just the best way I've found. I have tried some various other dyes, and I haven't found anything else that works nearly as well. I know it's hard to find sometimes, but I always get mine from Blue Ribbon Show Supply.

Chap34

Does it matter whether or not the steer has just been washed.  Some say you need to have the calf clean, while Sullivans say to not have washed the calf for 4-5 days to make sure the hair oil will help the dye not burn the animal.  Any ideas? thanks for all the help.  Right now I am planning on dyeing again tomorrow night to go to a show this weekend.

Jill

We have them clean before they are dyed.  Are you brushing it in to make sure it gets spread through the hair?

dagrate1s

We have used Young Color and Black Velvet and I personally like the Young Color. We mix about 3-4 bottles of dye and 3-4 packets of the activator crystals into a spray bottle and fill the rest of the bottle with water. Once you put a mist on the calf, them comb it all forward, then brush it with a rice root. This helps set the dye. Then we keep misting and brushing until the dye is gone. Usually can cover the calf about 3 times around with one full spray bottle. We also wash before we dye, just helps clean the hair. Just make sure you rinse the soap out well and make sure they are at least 90% dry when you dye them. A little damp wont hurt.

Craig

DLD

Jill said:
We clip then dye.

Absolutely. One of the biggest benefits of dyeing is that it smooths out the clip job by darkening the places that were clipped shorter, etc...

Latest posts