Dying heifers black

Help Support Steer Planet:

Superblocker

We have a nice Dr. Who heifer that has that brown tint mixed into her black hair. I plan to dye her black again this weekend. Problem is......she has four white socks. If I used vet wrap to cover the white during the spray process, and then make sure she is completely dry before I rinse her off, will that help keep the white hair white? Does anyone have any better ideas? Please advise.

SSIMMENTALS

I've hear of people using oil, vaseline, or conditioner heavilly on the white areas. Don't know what works best.
Just my thought, but im thinking that when you rinse if there isn't something like vaseline in the white area the dye is still going to get you even if its not sprayed into the area. I may be wrong though.

chambero

I've used vaseline on stocking feet before and been fine.  Just remember you dont have to dye the legs as much since you can paint them .  Runoff wont get through the vas.  Dawn soap cuts it pretty well.

hm5220

If you cover the upper leg with a ring of vet wrap and place a ring of Vaseline where you would like the dye to stop this will keep the dye from running into the white. The problem will be when you rinse the dye off it may still run down her legs so leave the wrap until you rinse all the dye out. If it does run it is usually not that bad and the white can be cleaned with a blunting solution, which will remove all color including poop stains. Just take your time it will work!

blackcows

How long does it take for the black to set?  We have a white calf for the first time this year and I am not sure how long I will need to keep her away from the black cattle after we dye them, it was never a concern when all of the cattle were dark.

Mike

Superblocker

When I have done this in the past, after the application is complete, I will stand them in front of a fan for a few hours until the are dry. Once they are dry, rinse them until there is no more black color coming off and then blow dry them. Once that is complete, I've never had a problem with them, the dye is sealed.

showsteer09

That is what i do I let them stand in front of fans for at least 4 hours till dry they was out after its all out I use conditioner to softin the skin so it dosent get dry.... O0