Dying Steers Hair

Help Support Steer Planet:

tylermctavish

I am getting ready to dye my steers hair for a upcoming show and i am wondering what i should mix with it for more product. The Black velvet says to use kleen sheen. Just wondering if anyone knows anything that works better?

JWW

i use the Kleen sheen, sometimes at the farm store you buy the horse version called "show sheen" essentially the same thing, but if its cheaper that what i use

JWW

The Show

Well you posted this in the wrong section but that's fine. I use Kleen Sheen, I have a spray bottle form sullivans and I fill it with black velvet up to where the rigid neck starts and then top it off with KS then SHAKE, SHAKE, SHAKE!!!...If you've never used it here are a few tips I've learned the hard way. Take a tube sock and a rubber band and put it around your steers tail and do his tail last if you feel the need to do it, wear rubber gloves and old clothes that you don't mind getting stained(I have "dying" clothes"), don't be afraid to use it around white or other light colored areas get as close as you dare and even though it washes out black the black water won't stain it, and last but not least make sure you wash it out good.