Ear corn creep feed?

Help Support Steer Planet:

beefy08

I will be calving for the first time next month. I have a place to get a good starter feed. We feed ground ear corn to our feeder cattle and I was wondering if anyone used it in their creep feed. If I could use that it would keep cost down. What I want to know is if anyone has done it, what recipie they used it in, and if it worked. Thanks

inthebarnagain

We used to use Ear corn with the Honor/Purina Gran-4-T-fyer.  Made an awesome creep feed, don't remember the exact mix, but it is on Purinas web site

afhm

You might need to cool it done a little bit.  It will definately put the grease on them in a hurry.

Dyer Show cattle

We used ground ear corn in our full feed for feeders for years, just hard to find closeby anymore. Made some of the best feed out there. I would not use it for creep as far as straight ground. You could but you would not want very much per load. Just depends on how you feed, 100 different good ways to feed a calf from start to finish that produce the same or similar results. The main ways I see how differently cattle are fed just depends on how the operation is set up.  If you have a good starter with corn in it just replace about the same amount with ear corn. Hard to tell you a weight, here might be a decent guide to try and calculate from. http://agguide.agronomy.psu.edu/cm/sec4/table1-4-13.cfm