Ear tags that don't snag

Help Support Steer Planet:

STEERJOCK21L

We feed with a hay wagon, therefore allot of the cows over the winter lose their tags,snagging them on the metal. Are there any ear tags out there that won't snag. We've tried the all- flex locking tags but some just pull them all the way out of there ear. Any suggestions.

kanshow

We have pretty decent luck with the Ztags .. they aren't 100% snag proof but better than most we've tried. 

showsteerdlux

We've had good luck with the z tags to. i know one guy who uses them and only lost one last year when he usually looses about half of the regular tags.

afhm

They all snag.  Maybe try putting them in a different position (i.e. closer to the head or up/down a rib in the ear).

dori36

showsteerdlux said:
We've had good luck with the z tags to. i know one guy who uses them and only lost one last year when he usually looses about half of the regular tags.

Ditto.  One piece and so easy to put in with the Ztag applicator!  I first saw them on the ranch in WY I worked on.  1000 mother cows/calves all wearing 'em and hardly losing any.  That's in rough country!  I used them on my Lowlines with great success.

garett

Also with the customizing, you can get the Ritchey layered tags, then get an engraver and put whatever you like on the tags. The little grinder takes  a litle time to get used to but it is really nice to have.

showsteerdlux

Yes and it makes the calves look bad when they go in with busted ears at the sale because for one thing they are hard to id. With nais coming up soon this could prove to be a major problem.

Show Heifer

Richie Engravable tags are GREAT.....you can put anything on them. Get the star back and they will not snag and pull out!!
Well worth the effort the first go around to engrave them!! Plus not that expensive!!

Latest posts