early christmas

Help Support Steer Planet:

knabe

had one of my christmas' tonight
pics are of pagoda's my dad made
a land patent original given to my great granddad, then my grandmother, then dad, signed by, well,.... look close.
and a check from my great grand pa to my grand ma.

definitely not consumer items

dang, not resized, but reduced in k, will try again, can't resize on my dad's computer, will look for online resizer.

Attachments

• check.jpg
    check.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 626
  • patent1.jpg
    patent1.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 618
  • patent2.jpg
    patent2.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 617
  • jetsons.jpg
    jetsons.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 613
  • pagoda.jpg
    pagoda.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 607

common sense

Darn, hurry up and resize I am dying to see the pictures!  Give us more information about the pagoda's.  We have an Abstract company and I always enjoy reading the old land patent documents. 

knabe

i gather wood from torn up orchards and purchase timber sized lumber once in a while.  the walnut pieces on one pagoda are from some walnut my grandfather purchased in arkansas probably around the 50's or early 60's.  the red colored wood is blood wood, and the other walnut one is some walnut i picked up from alabama.  they are pretty commonly grained furniture quality wood, very straight without much variation.  the arkansas walnut is a little gray, the alabama, a little darker.  i can't remember what the lighter colored wood is. 

he got the idea from that pic in the magazine.  in the mag, the pagoda's are much larger, and obviously have some carving on the cylinders.  all the pieces are friction fitted and mic'd to be the same to retain the perspective of the pagoda which kinda reminds me of the space needle, getting smaller as it goes up, and then big.  my dad usually makes something every year.  last year, i salvaged a huge black locust tree he's gonna make stuff as it dries a little.  i saved the transition between root and shoot for me, but i'll probably give it too him.  i gave him a huge walnut burl stump we are trying to make a sitting bear out of.

saw a story about outsourcing christmas shopping.  i got to thinking just purchasing premade gifts is a sort of outsourcing.  i usually get people stuff they would'nt do for themselves, like get my mom's husband good meats and some of a steer i had butchered (the one in the earlier pics).

forgot to mention, that that check is written in PENCIL!!!!!!

Merry christmas everyone, hope your day is going great.