EARTHQUAKE

Help Support Steer Planet:

shortyjock89

No ma'am.  I don't have class until noon, and it's my only one of the day.  Friday's are awesome!!

shortyjock89

Hey, I'm not sure how far some of you Southern IL people are from where the epicenter of the quake was, but TJ is about 70-ish miles away, so he might be able to give us a bit of a report once he cleans up any mess the quake might have made for him.

GLZ

Had a big aftershock about 30 minutes ago measuring 4.6.  Stop shaking ground.

knabe

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Madrid_Earthquake
http://asms.k12.ar.us/armem/richards/

nice concise bit of info.

here's the tecumseh reference

http://www.ratical.org/ratville/Tecumseh.html

However, what I was never was taught by either Earth Science of American History is that Tecumseh didn't merely predicted the New Madrid earthquake. In truth, Tecumseh didn't merely "predict" this tectonic event, he actually "prophesied" this greatest earthquake ever to hit the continent. Tecumseh's prophecy was given many months in advance of the quake, and was accurate down to the very day it occurred. One of the odd enigmas of truth hidden under the veneer of American History is that this quake was actually his signal to the Indians of North America to unite in an army and drive the invading, land stealing whites off the continent.

oil and coal has allowed us to transfer knowledge beyond all comprehension.  i am grateful for oil and coal.

jason

I didn't feel it in east central ks, but my sister in Columbia, Mo, sure felt the rumble.  I heard reports that people in KC felt it too.

dori36

Doc said:
  Knabe, Just had my first experience with an earthquake this morning. At 4:38 am we had the earthquake wake us up that occured in Southern IL about 150 miles away. You can keep those things. 

Felt it up here in mid-Michigan at about 5:40 am.  Small but shook the bed.  I thought maybe Harrison Ford had finally shown up to take me away!    (lol)  I felt frequent little tremors when I lived in Teton County, WY.

knabe

just for reference.  4.5's barely get noticed out here.  5.0 yawn.  there is so much regulation to anchor things at work, and so much money spent on it, it's scary.  about 5 years ago, we spent about 30,000 to anchor all the equipment and computers.  at some level, we just punted and got people flat screens and note books so they wouldn't have to hassle with yet another cable that was constantly in the way.

i will way, at a previous job, there was an x-ray machine totally housed in lead on an unsecured stand used to mutate seeds.  it fell through the wall during the 89 earthquake.

doubled

I talked to my older son in Indiania and he for sure felt it, the bed shaking woke him up, kinda scared him too.

TJ

Yeah, I am 60-70 miles south of the center & it totally freaked me out!!  It lasted everybit of 45 seconds here & maybe longer!  It felt & sounded like a nearby bomb blast, only it lasted a whole lot longer.  At first I thought lightening, then I guessed a nearby bomb, then I guessed tornado, before I finally realized that it was an earthquake.  It got real bad for about 10 seconds & the house was making cracking & poping noises, at that point I was thinking tornado.  I was gone most of the day, but my wife said that we had a 4 - 4.5 aftershock about 10:30 AM & 5 or 6 aftershocks total. 

Thank goodness it was only a 5.2 & I haven't noticed any significant damage.  Just real minor stuff.  If it had been a 6 or higher & lasted that long, we would've been in trouble!  For those who don't know, the Ohio River between Evansville, IN & Henderson, KY actually shifted about a mile back in the 1800's, when Reelfoot Lake in TN was formed & the Mississippi River actually flowed BACKWARDS for a couple of days.  The reason why the Ellis Park Horse Race Track is located across the Ohio River from Henderson is because it's still in KY over on that side of the river, due to the earthquake altering the rivers orginal course.  What we had today was child's play compared to that one, but after experiencing the quake this AM, I don't want to ever experience one like the 1800's quake!!  However, we are due.  The quake today was caused by the Wabash Fault.  The real bad one in the 1800's was caused by the New Madrid Fault & it's just a matter of time before the New Madrid starts to do the twist again.  Not exactly encouraging, but it's the truth.

shortyjock89

TJ said:
Yeah, I am 60-70 miles south of the center & it totally freaked me out!!   It lasted everybit of 45 seconds here & maybe longer!  It felt & sounded like a nearby bomb blast, only it lasted a whole lot longer.  At first I thought lightening, then I guessed a nearby bomb, then I guessed tornado, before I finally realized that it was an earthquake.  It got real bad for about 10 seconds & the house was making cracking & poping noises, at that point I was thinking tornado.  I was gone most of the day, but my wife said that we had a 4 - 4.5 aftershock about 10:30 AM & 5 or 6 aftershocks total. 

Thank goodness it was only a 5.2 & I haven't noticed any significant damage.  Just real minor stuff.  If it had been a 6 or higher & lasted that long, we would've been in trouble!  For those who don't know, the Ohio River between Evansville, IN & Henderson, KY actually shifted about a mile back in the 1800's, when Reelfoot Lake in TN was formed & the Mississippi River actually flowed BACKWARDS for a couple of days.  The reason why the Ellis Park Horse Race Track is located across the Ohio River from Henderson is because it's still in KY over on that side of the river, due to the earthquake altering the rivers orginal course.  What we had today was child's play compared to that one, but after experiencing the quake this AM, I don't want to ever experience one like the 1800's quake!!  However, we are due.  The quake today was caused by the Wabash Fault.  The real bad one in the 1800's was caused by the New Madrid Fault & it's just a matter of time before the New Madrid starts to do the twist again.   Not exactly encouraging, but it's the truth.

Well, I'm glad you're okay.  I thought real hard about giving you a call to check up on ya, but I figured that could wait if I didn't hear anything from you for a couple days.

TJ

Olson Family Shorthorns said:
TJ said:
Yeah, I am 60-70 miles south of the center & it totally freaked me out!!   It lasted everybit of 45 seconds here & maybe longer!  It felt & sounded like a nearby bomb blast, only it lasted a whole lot longer.  At first I thought lightening, then I guessed a nearby bomb, then I guessed tornado, before I finally realized that it was an earthquake.  It got real bad for about 10 seconds & the house was making cracking & poping noises, at that point I was thinking tornado.  I was gone most of the day, but my wife said that we had a 4 - 4.5 aftershock about 10:30 AM & 5 or 6 aftershocks total. 

Thank goodness it was only a 5.2 & I haven't noticed any significant damage.  Just real minor stuff.  If it had been a 6 or higher & lasted that long, we would've been in trouble!  For those who don't know, the Ohio River between Evansville, IN & Henderson, KY actually shifted about a mile back in the 1800's, when Reelfoot Lake in TN was formed & the Mississippi River actually flowed BACKWARDS for a couple of days.  The reason why the Ellis Park Horse Race Track is located across the Ohio River from Henderson is because it's still in KY over on that side of the river, due to the earthquake altering the rivers orginal course.  What we had today was child's play compared to that one, but after experiencing the quake this AM, I don't want to ever experience one like the 1800's quake!!  However, we are due.  The quake today was caused by the Wabash Fault.  The real bad one in the 1800's was caused by the New Madrid Fault & it's just a matter of time before the New Madrid starts to do the twist again.   Not exactly encouraging, but it's the truth.

Well, I'm glad you're okay.  I thought real hard about giving you a call to check up on ya, but I figured that could wait if I didn't hear anything from you for a couple days.

I appreciate that, but we are OK.  It sounded & felt a lot worse than it actually was.  BTW, the worst part of the entire event was right after it was over... I got a call from Lennie asking me if we had just had an earthquake!  LOL!!  ;)

doubled

Like does the news out there say anything about there being more???? Im not sure maybe they just cant predict that????

TJ

justamom said:
Like does the news out there say anything about there being more???? Im not sure maybe they just cant predict that????

We've had 5 or 6 aftershocks.  Most were 1's & 2's, but one was 4 - 4.5.  I've heard that we could have a few more tonight.  But, they are just guessing.  I don't know that they can accurately predict quakes & aftershocks. 

showgirl2010

My local news channel was saying the first earthquake that took place was a 5.2.  Another took place at 10 am and was a 4.5.  As of monday there was a total of 22 aftershocks adn they say the aftershocks could continue for a month.  Its kinda scary though because that was my first experience and then we could have a ton more?  I don't like it.

Jamie

TJ

^^^  We've had 5.2, 4.6, 4.5 & a bunch of aftershocks in the 1 & 2 range.  And yes, they think this could last a while.  Let's just hope this doesn't set off the BIG ONE!!  If the New Madrid ever decides to get serious again, like it did in the early 1800's, it will be really bad... really, really bad!!