Easy Calving Simmental Bull?

Help Support Steer Planet:

Warrior10

Looking for a PB easy calving simmental bull to breed to a 1/4 simmental heifer of ours. Looking for ideas as I am not very familiar with the breed. Would mind a little face color but it is not a must have. A live calf is important. What your opinions of BMR Explorer, I like the looks of him. At -1.2 would you say he is heifer safe? Anyone used him? Thanks for suggestions in advance. (and yes I know any angus bull is an option but I want to explore some other options)

Biomurph

Ebonys Grandmaster is easy calving (we have and are using him on our heifers) and throws thick calves albeit, not always the growthiest, in my opinion.

firesweepranch

I agree with Shear Force, or even better Hooks Pacesetter (Shear Force son). We have one of each, and LOVE them both! They both milk (first calf heifers, one weaned off a 660 pound bull calf and the other weaned off a 680 pound bull calf) and spit out calves the first time. Both bred back on the first heat (both are due with a second calf in the spring).
Another option is Ellington Dominator (homo black, sired by Olie) - we had a real nice little heifer calf out of him out of a heifer, she was about 74 pounds. We also like Real McCoy (ABS sire), our heifer that won our big district fair is by him and out of our good Built Right cow, and she was 72 pounds at birth. I just bought 10 straws of Real McCoy for $10 a straw when ABS was running a special; he is a Hummer, who makes AWESOME females that can milk!!!
Are you looking for something to keep for the first calf? Simmentals have so many nice heifer safe bulls to choose from, it really depends on what you want with the calf.

Till-Hill

Shear Force, In Dew Time, Trademark, Jumpstart (Hummer x Shear Force)

In Dew Time's will be showy along with Trademark and Jumpstart's will make great females as stated with that Hummer in there, and old Shear Force will moderate your frame and they will come easy and be good cows with his top 1% maternal milk and top 10% maternal weaning weight. So don't let his growth numbers fool you. His daughters will raise calves alot more efficiently that alot of others will. Only way I would use Explorer on a heifer would be using sexed female semen. Them 4 bulls I mentioned on top I have been using last 4-5 years on commercial angus heifers with no problems. Good luck!

LN

I used Explorer on 2nd calf heifers and cows and personally would not use on a first calf heifer.

Some purebred Simmy bulls that would work are Triple C Singletary, Hooks Shear Force, and Grandmaster. There's also plenty of SimAngus bulls available that will calve easy. My go to CE SimAngus bull is TNT Dual Focus.

CAB

We've used ACC1 Hustler some & he'll calve easy & I like the calves. They are moderate to smaller framed for Simi cows and will milk. Can bring some leather along up front.
TNT Jump Start will be a very easy calver/20 CED & PPL like what his calves look like.
Nichols Manifest from accelerated is seeing heavy use. Here's a link to his page.    http://www.accelgen.com/htm/sire_pages/014SM03052.html

mego

We used Pacesetter on a few heifers this year and he worked extremely well and as a bonus they GROW. Trademark would work also. We had some Explorer's this year and they came pretty easy, but we have a couple that are absolute idiots to work around.

Warrior10

Thanks for all the suggestions, I will look into all of them. Firesweepranch: I am looking for a calf I could sell, not really looking to keep many in my next calf crop.

Warrior10

CAB said:
We've used ACC1 Hustler some & he'll calve easy & I like the calves. They are moderate to smaller framed for Simi cows and will milk. Can bring some leather along up front.
TNT Jump Start will be a very easy calver/20 CED & PPL like what his calves look like.
Nichols Manifest from accelerated is seeing heavy use. Here's a link to his page.    http://www.accelgen.com/htm/sire_pages/014SM03052.html
I really like ACC1 Hustler, what time of heifers he work best on?

CAB

We bred Clubby based heifers to him & not enough that I can get you a good answer to your question. The thing that I like the most about him compared to many Simi bulls is that he holds size down and the cattle have substance and capacity to them.

Warrior10

CAB said:
We bred Clubby based heifers to him & not enough that I can get you a good answer to your question. The thing that I like the most about him compared to many Simi bulls is that he holds size down and the cattle have substance and capacity to them.
Sounds exactly like what I am trying to do! Thank you.

Simmgal

Both Explorer and his sire Voyager are calving ease from what I have seen. Voyager's calves have been more stout from what I have heard, while Explorer can add a little leather, but he has that fuzzy showy look. Explorer's won't be the biggest  calves, but they have that show look.

Maybe I am missing something, but I haven't heard anyone mention Dream On. He works really good on crosses and adds depth and a showy look...not to mention structural soundness. He would be a good choice for a showy animal, but he is everywhere.  :)
30rr12r.jpg

Grandmaster: Calves come easy and have plenty of width and style. Some of the ones I have seen haven't been the deepest and they won't be the biggest calves in the bunch, but they still have plenty of style. I am breeding most of my heifers to him this season. Here is a picture of my Grandmaster daughter:
20szrlj.jpg

Shear Force: Proven calving ease bull that is mainly for producing replacement females. If you are looking for a showy animal instead of maternal, I would use a different bull. He definately has is place.

Built Right: Hetero Dream On son that is a baldy. He throws tons of depth and that show look in his calves. His daughters have won many shows. He doesn't add any width to your cows, but he doesn't take away. He breeds like the cow for fronts, but he can be inconsistent.

In Dew Time: Dream On son that adds plenty of depth. Necks can be a bit short and mine don't have the greatest attitudes.

Cut Above or Fat Butt: Bred some heifers to him. If your animal is a little bigger he would be a good choice. I hear he has plenty of width and clean fronts. He also works good on cross cows from what I have seen and heard.

Ranch Hand: Calves come small, but many of mine didn't grow too well. I have seen some good ones out of him, but not from my cows.

Goldmine: Calves come small, and like Ranch Hand, won't get too big. If they grow, they have the showy style. Some do grow, and one of my friends has some BIG bulls out of him. I can get a picture, but they look better in real life. PLENTY of muscle.
BULL 1
33onqfl.jpg

BULL 2
qxqy6e.jpg

Of course, there are many others, but these are the ones that I am familiar with and have seen multiple calves out of. If you need any pictures of these bulls, just look them up! They are everywhere! Good luck!  ;D