Elephants and ELDU

Help Support Steer Planet:

DL

Many people apparently do not realize that there are rules, regs and laws surrounding the use of drugs in food animals. Many people don't seem to care. Many people seem to think that by calling me names and sending me vile little messages they are immune from the regulations. Yet this is a cite that purports tolerance and education. We all need to be aware of ELDU and AMDUCA becasue we are producing food. These are the rules - don't shoot the messanger. I am not willing to jeopardize my licence to work outside these rules. You can do what you will and what you choose and hope you don't get caught but you should at least be educated and aware that they exist and what they are. Now lets move on and talk about something else -

Extralabel Drug Use
(ELDU)

An Informational Outline of the Animal Medicinal Drug Use Clarification Act (AMDUCA)

REQUIREMENTS FOR USE

* ELDU is permitted only by or under the supervision of a veterinarian.
    * ELDU is allowed only for FDA approved animal and human drugs.
    * A valid Veterinarian/Client/Patient Relationship is a prerequisite for all ELDU.
    * ELDU for therapeutic purposes only (animal's health is suffering or threatened). Not drugs for production use.
    * Rules apply to dosage form drugs and drugs administered in water. ELDU in feed is prohibited.
    * ELDU is not permitted if it results in a violative food residue, or any residue which may present a risk to public health.
    * FDA prohibition of a specific ELDU precludes such use.†(See gray box below
      )

†Drugs Prohibited for Extralabel Use in Food Animals (Current as of June 2003. Check for updates on the FDA Web site at www.fda.gov/cvm)

* Chloramphenicol
    * Clenbuterol
    * Diethylstilbestrol (DES)
    * Dimetridazole
    * Ipronidazole
    * Other Nitroimidazoles
    * Furazolidone, Nitrofurazone, Other Nitrofurans
    * Sulfonamide drugs in lactating dairy cows (except approved use of sulfadimethoxine, sulfabromomethazine, and sulfaethoxypyridazine)
    * Fluoroquinolones
    * Glycopeptides (example: vancomycin)
    * Phenybutazone in female dairy cattle 20 months of age or older
    * Adamantane and neuraminidase inhibitor classes of drugs that are approved for treating or preventing influenza A are prohibited therapy in chickens, turkeys, and ducks (Effective: June 20, 2006)

*RECORD REQUIREMENTS

* Identify the animals, either as individuals or a group.
    * Animal species treated.
    * Numbers of animals treated.
    * Conditions being treated.
    * The established name of the drug and active ingredient.
    * Dosage prescribed or used.
    * Duration of treatment.
    * Specified withdrawal, withholding, or discard time(s), if applicable, for meat, milk, eggs, or animal-derived food.
    * Keep records for 2 years.
    * FDA may have access to these records to estimate risk to public health.

**LABEL REQUIREMENTS

* Name and address of the prescribing veterinarian.
    * Established name of the drug.
    * Any specified directions for use including the class/species or identification of the animal or herd, flock, pen, lot, or other group; the dosage frequency, and route of administration; and the duration of therapy.
    * Any cautionary statements.
    * Your specified withdrawal, withholding, or discard time for meat, milk, eggs, or any other food.

Doc

Hey good to hear from you DL, but I geuss I missed something because I don't undertsand what brought this post on. ???

DL

Doc said:
Hey good to hear from you DL, but I geuss I missed something because I don't undertsand what brought this post on. ???

Hi Guys! I was trying to be obtuse (guess I did it eh?) - lots of little semi vile to vile PMs and emails ....

on another note - will try to get a pic of my fabulous Gizmo heifer as well as the Sin City awesome blue roan; Money Man calves look great too!
(did drop my camera and disalign the lens when I touched a hot wire...hmm)

Show Heifer

Hey DL, whats up??!!

Thanks for the list, for those of us that wish to follow the law, it will be handy to have.

I appreciate your educated, professional advice and information! It is great to have such as resource for free!!!  ;D

simtal

I think it sucks that not everyone plays by the same rules.

Also, I was wondering how many people who feed optaflexx or zilmax, even at the correct dosage and time frame, know that you can't feed it with rumensin or tylan.

Dusty

DL said:
†Drugs Prohibited for Extralabel Use in Food Animals (Current as of June 2003. Check for updates on the FDA Web site at www.fda.gov/cvm)

* Chloramphenicol
    * Clenbuterol
    * Diethylstilbestrol (DES)
    * Dimetridazole
    * Ipronidazole
    * Other Nitroimidazoles
    * Furazolidone, Nitrofurazone, Other Nitrofurans
    * Sulfonamide drugs in lactating dairy cows (except approved use of sulfadimethoxine, sulfabromomethazine, and sulfaethoxypyridazine)
    * Fluoroquinolones
    * Glycopeptides (example: vancomycin)
    * Phenybutazone in female dairy cattle 20 months of age or older
    * Adamantane and neuraminidase inhibitor classes of drugs that are approved for treating or preventing influenza A are prohibited therapy in chickens, turkeys, and ducks (Effective: June 20, 2006)

[/color]

Hey DL whats up??!!

So basically the way I read this is that as long as a drug is not one of those in the list that are specifically banned, a person can you use if they get it from their vet.  As long as you follow slaughter withdrawl etc.  Or if it's not a terminal show you can basically use any drug, as long as its not on the list or specifically banned by the show??? I didn't see Acepromazine, thorazine, dexamethasone, winstrol, lasix, or banamine on the list.  Is it morally wrong to show your calf at a bunch of shows that don't test for drugs and then when you get done just bury him out back so you don't have to worry about contaminating the food supply?  Theoretically your calf could have more drugs than a Walgreen's store and not hurt anyone.

My point is not that everything is black and white like you think it is.  Laws and rules are always subject to interpretation.  It looks like there is a lot of grey area in your post.....

DL

Hey Dusty - life is good here. Yes and no to your question  - I agree that it is not black and white in reality and it is a sticky wicket in many instances. But if you follow the "letter" of the law for extra label drug use  it has to be for therapeutic reasons so tranquilizing a steer for show may be therapeutic for the parent but the FDA doesn't count that ::) ::) because it is not considered therapeutic for the steer.There is a difference between prohibited drugs and extra label drug use.  Following withdrawal times like you said is key and make sure you get it in writing. As you are aware many vets are not current on the laws and they are changing all the time - so as producers sometimes we are more aware than our veterinarians. My point really is that we all need to be aware of the laws - how we morally or ethically decide to deal with them is between us and us  ;)