embroy transfers.

Help Support Steer Planet:

OH Breeder

shorthornboy said:
what is the fee to get embryos sexed does the breeder normally do this or the owner of the recipient cow?
The sexing is done when flushing. They can tell you all boys or all girls. Then you keep what you want. IE Sexed embryos. From what i understand, they usually do'nt have any lower conception rate than others. But, if COWBOY were here he could give you the low down.

justintime

We have seen no difference in pregnancy rates between fresh and frozen. I have only had one year where we did not have great luck . Four years ago, we implanted 18 embryos, had 17 pregnancies and got 18 heifer calves ( the first embryo split and we got two identical twins.I probably used up all the luck anyone is given in this year alone.  Year two was a bit of a disaster as we were about 40%, but since then we have been over 70% and also about 75% heifers. I have not preg tested yet this year, but I think we were sitting at over 80 % pregnant at 6 weeks. We have had an extreme heat wave lately, with several days of 100 + so I would not be surprised if we lost a few more.
I have been told by several breeders that you can get about 10 % more heifers from grade 2 embryos vs grade 1 embryos. In my case, I cannot tell as I have had a high percentage of heifers anyways. I also have been told that you can expect to lose about an extra 10% from sexed embryos. I put 3 heifer embryos and 5 bull embryos this spring and I think I have 5 pregnancies. I will know better when we preg test.

DL

JIT - do you ultrasound for pregnancy? do you sex at the same time? I still wonder about your donkey deal??? (lol) spill the beans ;D

ps trying to find another disease for you

justintime

The vets we use for our ET work are located about 500 miles from where we live. They come through once or twice a month from March to June, and then as few more times through the late summer if they can get enough cows lined up to make the trip worthwhile. I usually send a few donors out to their base in Alberta, to be flushed through the winter. We have not used ultrasound yet but am presently looking at getting some done. The sexed embryos I implanted were purchased so it was done when they were collected. The donkey deal is explained in another post.

DL

OH boy and I can't remember where it was that I asked you! :eek: