Embryo/Breeding Question (Please Respond!!!) :)

Help Support Steer Planet:

herefordfootball

I've got a breeding situation this year and would like everyones' opinion on what would be most cost effective. I have a heifer who just calved a while back, we really like the calf and have already had interest on him. I ended up with two straws of Monopoly to breed with and I think I she'd click with Monopoly(It'd be a similar breeding to T. Woods and Boardwalk). My question to you is, should I flush her to Monopoly with both straws and put an egg back in her? Or just breed her to Monopoly and let her calve naturally, see if the calf is any good, and if she's worth flushing? Thanks in advance :) If it wasnt so expensive for Monopoly right now and flushing costs the answer would be obvious, but I'm stuck here...:(

Chris

cotullaguy

if you think she will work with Monopoly, i would flush her.  I would not waste the monopoly semen right now trying to get her ai bred.  I would use another bull to do that....since Matt and I are friends now  :), you might call him and use boardwalk or tiger woods.....similar breeding but much less expensive...

SHAGGY

We use three straws, two straws twelve hours after standing and another one at twenty four hours after standing. Any way back to the original subject, i would breed here to monopoly and see what happens. If the calf is really that good next year out of this cross the $200 or so for monopoly wont seem like that expensive, yet if you flush her and the calf sux you just wasted more money than need be. I am just as guilty but sometimes i think we jump into flushing to this and that when we dont even know how the cross would work. Just cause the bulls are bred and look the same, they may not "click" the same. JMO 

Jill

Monopoly is the hot thing right now, I would flush to Monopoly but I wouldn't put an egg in her, I would breed her back to something else.

herefordfootball

SHAGGY said:
We use three straws, two straws twelve hours after standing and another one at twenty four hours after standing. Any way back to the original subject, i would breed here to monopoly and see what happens. If the calf is really that good next year out of this cross the $200 or so for monopoly wont seem like that expensive, yet if you flush her and the calf sux you just wasted more money than need be. I am just as guilty but sometimes i think we jump into flushing to this and that when we dont even know how the cross would work. Just cause the bulls are bred and look the same, they may not "click" the same. JMO  

Thanks for your experience SHAGGY. I think I need to think on it more... But I do agree if the calf sucks, then I've got worthless eggs...ugh. Just curious Jill, why wouldnt you put an egg back in her? I would put them in recips if we had the numbers, but I dont right now.

Edit: The reason I wanted to put an egg back in her was so I had a full sib to the eggs on the ground by next year and could have something to sell the eggs on.(If it turned out good).

DL

What I have done in the past is flush cows to bulls when I like the calf they had with that bull - I can't see flushing a cow to a bull just because he is hot (although a lot of people do) when you have no idea if it will click - I guess putting an egg in the donor is personal preference - I probably would try something else on the donor - the calf might tell you who the next flush sire should be ;)